Ghostlop?

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
This is a game I've enjoyed for years. It's a great puzzle title but sadly never saw a release. Just curious why Data East axed it? :oh_no:

What are your thoughts on this game?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
My thoughts aren't repeatable in this thread.... I am thinking a lot of swear words with the word "retard" sorta punctuated inbetween them..

xROTx

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Not sure what's going on in this thread. Without a hint of irony I would say that it is one of my favourite games for the neo Geo and in general. The art style is perfect.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
I'm a gamer, like all of you, otherwise I wouldn't be on a forum for the Neo. I was vaguely familiar with the Neo up until only a few years ago and I am, indeed, "discovering" alot of these games for the first time. Others, I have played for a while. I like to discuss games, ya know, because this is a gaming forum!

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think your question was innocent, but don't forget to search first. I like to search on google with site:neo-geo.com in the search field.

It's not your fault. Unfortunately this forum has a lot of baggage. Don't let that stop you from enjoying the game.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I'm a gamer, like all of you, otherwise I wouldn't be on a forum for the Neo. I was vaguely familiar with the Neo up until only a few years ago and I am, indeed, "discovering" alot of these games for the first time. Others, I have played for a while. I like to discuss games, ya know, because this is a gaming forum!

Whats up NeoGeo64! No need to be that way. The site has a very long history and a lot of members have likely already had these types of discussions about their favorite neo titles multiple times already. Of course, there is always the possibility that certain aspects of these games remain yet unexplored on these forums; but many have likely already engaged in this type of discussion before and are less likely to engage sometimes.

I also like writing about and discussing the neo library. Don't let it get to you. You have a great mix of old members and new members here.

Regarding Ghostlop:
I feel it falls a little behind when compared to Data East's other offerings like the Magical Drop series imo. It's a really fun title that may have been more at home amongst the other puzzle games on a portable console like the ngpc imho. It has solid fast-paced gameplay, but I can see why it would underperform during arcade location tests when compared to other games that would have been available from 1995-1996.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
Thanks for your reply, BlackaneseNiNjA!

Agreed. I do think this is a great discussion forum, but it does have it's downsides. Just like anything else in life.

I also agree that Ghostlop doesn't hold up as well as other puzzle games but it would have been nice if there was an official release, even if it was in limited quantities. Thank goodness someone found a prototype and dumped the contents. The game seems a little unfinished here and there, could have used a bit more polish. One example is that the ball can actually get stuck in between like colored ghosts. Maybe that's why it didn't stack up to other puzzle titles for the Neo Geo. I find it interesting that you said Ghostlop had arcade location tests. I was under the impression that this game never saw the light of day back in the 90's.

Ghostlop is still fun to play, though.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Thank goodness someone found a prototype and dumped the contents. The game seems a little unfinished here and there, could have used a bit more polish...

Well, it's a prototype.

Off topic, if you don't include "I just discovered" (or some derivative) to start your threads, it might go a ways.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thanks for your reply, BlackaneseNiNjA!

Agreed. I do think this is a great discussion forum, but it does have it's downsides. Just like anything else in life.

I also agree that Ghostlop doesn't hold up as well as other puzzle games but it would have been nice if there was an official release, even if it was in limited quantities. Thank goodness someone found a prototype and dumped the contents. The game seems a little unfinished here and there, could have used a bit more polish. One example is that the ball can actually get stuck in between like colored ghosts. Maybe that's why it didn't stack up to other puzzle titles for the Neo Geo. I find it interesting that you said Ghostlop had arcade location tests. I was under the impression that this game never saw the light of day back in the 90's.

Ghostlop is still fun to play, though.

Anytime NeoGeo64! Agreed. I am happy that we are all able to play the game rather than it being lost. My mention of Ghostlop's likely failure at a location test was in reference to the intended purpose of the cart as stated in the link you posted above.

Well, it's a prototype.

:keke:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I consider it a finished game. And one of my favorite Neo games. The reason it wasn't released was similarity to Puzzle Bobble, and possibly that it was too easy for arcades.

Not sure if I've seen the ball get stuck. I wouldn't consider that a bug, since you're supposed to just change the color.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Not sure if I've seen the ball get stuck. I wouldn't consider that a bug, since you're supposed to just change the color.

Even if considered as a bug, so what? "Finished" NG games have bugs, too. KoFs especially.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Whats up NeoGeo64! No need to be that way. The site has a very long history and a lot of members have likely already had these types of discussions about their favorite neo titles multiple times already. Of course, there is always the possibility that certain aspects of these games remain yet unexplored on these forums; but many have likely already engaged in this type of discussion before and are less likely to engage sometimes.

I also like writing about and discussing the neo library. Don't let it get to you. You have a great mix of old members and new members here.

Regarding Ghostlop:
I feel it falls a little behind when compared to Data East's other offerings like the Magical Drop series imo. It's a really fun title that may have been more at home amongst the other puzzle games on a portable console like the ngpc imho. It has solid fast-paced gameplay, but I can see why it would underperform during arcade location tests when compared to other games that would have been available from 1995-1996.

Excellent point! There have been times that I have thought about starting a discussion about a particular game or NEO GEO subject but find its pointless because the subject has been discussed to death on these forums, so I just stay in the background and just read other posts or comments.