Seeking SCART/RGB/YPBPR advice for my CMVS build

WaferMouse

n00b
Hi peeps!

I'm working on a MV1F as my first CMVS build, but I'm having problems getting any video out at all through SCART. I'm testing with LCDs which I know aren't ideal, but at least one of them I bought with the mind that I thought it was specced for the low refresh rates I was expecting from arcade boards (it's in my cab, but I ended up using a scaler there).

A quick rundown of my build so far:

- RGB and sync signals hooked up through 150Rs to the SCART.

- Grounds all tied up to video ground.

- No sound yet, since I figured that would be the part most likely to "just work".

- 12v to pin 8 with a resistor to bridge to pin 16. Tried both 280R and 560R as I'd seen diagrams of both online, not sure which is correct though, maybe both?

Just for some background, it's not my first MVS rodeo, but the one in my cab I hooked up through a scaler. I know which end of a soldering iron to hold but my debugging is basically unguided trial-and-error.

I'm wondering whether instead I should be using eg. a JROK, and I have a few questions:

- Should an encoder make it compatible with any consumer TV that supports component input?

- Does anyone know roughly how likely it is for modern TVs to support YPbPr over SCART (where they even have a SCART)?

- If I assume that any TV I use supports NTSC despite living in the UK (PAL) are there any pros or cons in terms of signal quality using a NTSC encoder instead of PAL? I can only find NTSC JROKs online.

Thanks in advance peeps! :) I tried some searching, but I just don't have the confidence that I'm correctly understanding some of what I'm reading to be honest.