Steam Summer Sale 2017: What are you getting, what do you recommend?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
My library is at a point where I have so many games in the backlog that I am not overly excited about sales anymore. And I also will typically play new games at random.

So far I have gotten these:
- Deep Dungeons of Doom
- How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition
- Skyshine's Bedlam

And my first "big" purchase has been the "complete your collection" on Valve Complete Pack for >$10. It included:
- Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Day of Defeat
- Day of Defeat: Source
- Deathmatch Classic
- Left 4 Dead
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Ricochet

I probably will get the Pinball Arcade Season 4 pack, and if I am feeling adventurous the Zaccaria Pinball Silver Membership. I'll have to get more wallet codes first but there is still time left in the sale for me to decide on that.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Kinda tempted on

Dawn of War III ($44.99, 25% off) and
Expeditions: Viking ($22.99, 25% off).

But I'm very much on the fence with each. Lot of negative feedback on DoW 3, and EV sounds like it's had tons of bugs that still might not have been fixed.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I caved. Traded a bunch of stuff at Gamestop and got a Steam card, and bought Dawn of War III, Expedition: Viking, and Warhammer: Armageddon.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I was considering getting a Steam Controller while they are on sell. The DOOM + Steam Controller deal is particularly tempting.

Anyone have one and care to share their thoughts on it?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I was considering getting a Steam Controller while they are on sell. The DOOM + Steam Controller deal is particularly tempting.

I bought a Steam Link the last time they were on sale, and finally ran a network cable to my TV a few weeks ago. It's a pretty neat device and I'm surprised how well it works with my aging PC.

I just got the controller a couple days ago and spent last evening playing with it. I can tell it's going to take a bit to get used to it, but it seems pretty cool as well. My biggest hang up so far is trying to find controller setups for non controller games that work for me. I definitely need to spend some more time with it, but it seems well worth $35.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Let me help you out! Just look at this...it's a POS...you're welcome.

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

EG is right. It's an okay idea but its execution is just not there.

I bought one around the time they first came out, and I was kind of amazed at how bad it was. Very few games had any presets for it, and there weren't many more that had good community setups.

The support for it increased a little bit over time, but never got too good, and it's just not a good layout for anything, really. It's bad for action games, so I went right back to my old 360 controller, and it's so awkward for mouse and keyboard that I eventually just decided that I'd rather use those in my living room than use a Steam Controller. Traded it in.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
GameStop is having 30% extra value toward a steam card. I have a few games I'd get way less if I tried to sell for cash, so ill probably just do that. I'm thinking boulders gate 2 and trails in the sky third chapter. I own most of the games that are on heavy discount. I'll have to skim the list, but something to think about

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Let me help you out! Just look at this...it's a POS...you're welcome.

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg

Has anyone captured the controller space and made great controllers that come out yearly - like the iPhone? HORI made some nice sticks back in the day. What's the deal with shitty controllers coming year-in, year-out?

Edit: Portal tops my list this year.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Logitech Wireless 2 Pad was my to go controller for a very long time. I love the engineering behind the D-pad and Face buttons, it's a combo of springs and rubber actuators, I think it works great. If I can pull Raging Storms and 720 supers I am happy with the D-Pad, otherwise it's just not good enough. I mean I can still use it for platformers at least but I rather quality overall the genres.

I seriously like the Xboner D-pad, I feel the tactile microswitches are great, taking a cue from GBASP and 3DSXL, excellent hardware, very responsive.

On a lesser note is the PS4 D-pad, I like the bigger size over the DS3 and previous versions, I just wish it used the tech from the Vita D-Pad which is on par with the X-boner D-pad as well.

In all honesty, I find the Elite Xboner to be my absolute favorite gaming controller. I will always prefer to play with an arcade stick if the game allows for it but when I can only use a controller then the Elite is it. Playing Dark Souls with paddles means not letting go of the right analogue stick at all, always at the ready, what an amazing experience. So many features to cater to your needs, seriously this controller is worth every penny for me. However I killed the first one I got...lol, too much frantic blocking, so I got me another Elite, this time with one of them 2 year warranties from best buy, returned the broken one as a switcheroo and they replaced it, now I got 2 nice working Elite pads, with warranty, however I'm not blocking like a noobish whore anymore, lol. The standard controller has better shoulder buttons, who would've thought the Elite has shittier shoulder buttons, a real oversight, god damn engineers not knowing WTF sometimes, seriously.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll be better off getting an xbone controller if I upgrade from the 360 pad. It's a shame because the Steam controller seemed cool for PC games lacking controller support.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

same. i decidd against since i already have Dualshock 3 and 4. I seriously doubt the steam controller compares

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm still using the regular 360 Controller for all my Steam games and it works great.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Picked up a bunch of Transformers games and Dark Souls 3, since I'll have time for it next month.

DariusBurst is $20 if anyone doesn't have it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There's actually a large number of games that only accept an Xbox controller as the controller option.
I'm guessing that is from some lazy programming, but i default to the wireless XO controller so I don't have to deal with that again.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm still using the regular 360 Controller for all my Steam games and it works great.

That's what I use. Wired even!

It's the best pad next to the Saturn's. At least one battle MS won against SIE.

You people serious?! That D-pad sucks, everything else is OK but that D-pad is horrible, there's no way you can get good at anything strictly 2-D or arcade oriented with that thing. I even tried the other 360 D-pad with the transforming cross, horrible POS.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You people serious?! That D-pad sucks, everything else is OK but that D-pad is horrible, there's no way you can get good at anything strictly 2-D or arcade oriented with that thing. I even tried the other 360 D-pad with the transforming cross, horrible POS.

Dpad never bothered me but most of the time I'm using the stick. When I was playing Street Fighter, I would just plug in my MC TE.

Last edited: