Weird question regarding speakers - I need it to vibrate

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I know vibrate is a trigger word for humor...and I totally agree, but bear with me.

I have some standard arcade cab style speakers. I need them to vibrate. I'm not trying to make a vibration speaker where you set it on a surface or whatever.

I don't even need it to play audio. I just need it to hum loudly. I thought I could achieve this by just connecting some power to the speaker terminals instead of speaker wire. Is this true? I literally just need that loud/annoying hum you get when things aren't hooked up right. Louder/stronger the better.

Any electronics guys or audiophiles know how I can pull this off?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Sorry I cant help more. but I wnt to knoew why , and more abkout this. bump?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I just need it to hum loudly. I thought I could achieve this by just connecting some power to the speaker terminals instead of speaker wire. Is this true?

No, this will not work. You will at most hear a click when you connect the power and nothing else. This is because speakers work with signals that change frequency, and a constant power supply only changes frequency of the speaker when you connect it, never again. I guess you will need some circuit that can generate signals that the speaker understands, even if very basic.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
No, this will not work. You will at most hear a click when you connect the power and nothing else. This is because speakers work with signals that change frequency, and a constant power supply only changes frequency of the speaker when you connect it, never again. I guess you will need some circuit that can generate signals that the speaker understands, even if very basic.

That's kind of what I assumed. I might just find/create some audio files that generate the frequency I need and just loop on an old iphone/mp3 player. Thx!

Sorry I cant help more. but I wnt to knoew why , and more abkout this. bump?

Just experimenting ;)

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I can't understand a word this guy says - but THIS is what I am trying to do. Can anyone point me in a good direction for a layman?

Around the 4:00'ish mark specifically

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Sounds like I could do this with a tone/frequency generator and set the frequency I need?

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It doesn't show but I would suspect that the large speaker is connected to the same motor thing he shows earlier in the video.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
It doesn't show but I would suspect that the large speaker is connected to the same motor thing he shows earlier in the video.

Yeah - I bought a frequency/tone generator. Solved my problems.