Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Weird question regarding speakers - I need it to vibrate

  1. #1
    Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.
    pixeljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    in a glass of Orval

    Posts
    5,500

    Weird question regarding speakers - I need it to vibrate

    I know vibrate is a trigger word for humor...and I totally agree, but bear with me.

    I have some standard arcade cab style speakers. I need them to vibrate. I'm not trying to make a vibration speaker where you set it on a surface or whatever.

    I don't even need it to play audio. I just need it to hum loudly. I thought I could achieve this by just connecting some power to the speaker terminals instead of speaker wire. Is this true? I literally just need that loud/annoying hum you get when things aren't hooked up right. Louder/stronger the better.

    Any electronics guys or audiophiles know how I can pull this off?

  2. #2
    Gandalf Of Gibberish
    Karou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    US

    Posts
    4,445
    Sorry I cant help more. but I wnt to knoew why , and more abkout this. bump?
    .

  3. #3
    AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    aha2940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colombia

    Posts
    2,483
    Quote Originally Posted by pixeljunkie View Post
    I just need it to hum loudly. I thought I could achieve this by just connecting some power to the speaker terminals instead of speaker wire. Is this true?
    No, this will not work. You will at most hear a click when you connect the power and nothing else. This is because speakers work with signals that change frequency, and a constant power supply only changes frequency of the speaker when you connect it, never again. I guess you will need some circuit that can generate signals that the speaker understands, even if very basic.

  4. #4
    Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.
    pixeljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    in a glass of Orval

    Posts
    5,500
    Quote Originally Posted by aha2940 View Post
    No, this will not work. You will at most hear a click when you connect the power and nothing else. This is because speakers work with signals that change frequency, and a constant power supply only changes frequency of the speaker when you connect it, never again. I guess you will need some circuit that can generate signals that the speaker understands, even if very basic.
    That's kind of what I assumed. I might just find/create some audio files that generate the frequency I need and just loop on an old iphone/mp3 player. Thx!

    Quote Originally Posted by Karou View Post
    Sorry I cant help more. but I wnt to knoew why , and more abkout this. bump?

    Just experimenting

  5. #5
    赤裸裸的汽車人
    Tripredacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Buffalo

    Posts
    4,051
    Create interference by having unshielded wires running parallel to a power cord with AC running through it.
    http://www.behindthemixer.com/track-...-sound-system/

    dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.
    This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.

  6. #6
    I asked for a
    Custom Rank and
    Learned My Lesson.

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    5,401
    I turned off signatures. So should you.

  7. #7
    Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.
    pixeljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    in a glass of Orval

    Posts
    5,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    Create interference by having unshielded wires running parallel to a power cord with AC running through it.
    http://www.behindthemixer.com/track-...-sound-system/
    nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpamYouToDeath View Post
    will check this out - looks somewhat complicated but might not be as bad as it looks thx!

  8. #8
    Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.
    pixeljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    in a glass of Orval

    Posts
    5,500
    I can't understand a word this guy says - but THIS is what I am trying to do. Can anyone point me in a good direction for a layman?



    Around the 4:00'ish mark specifically

  9. #9
    Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.
    pixeljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    in a glass of Orval

    Posts
    5,500
    Sounds like I could do this with a tone/frequency generator and set the frequency I need?
    Last edited by pixeljunkie; 07-14-2017 at 01:05 PM.

  10. #10
    赤裸裸的汽車人
    Tripredacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Buffalo

    Posts
    4,051
    It doesn't show but I would suspect that the large speaker is connected to the same motor thing he shows earlier in the video.

    dude, you're awful at this, you didn't even tried.
    This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.

  11. #11
    Whilst Drunk.
    I Found God.
    Booze = Bad.
    pixeljunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    in a glass of Orval

    Posts
    5,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
    It doesn't show but I would suspect that the large speaker is connected to the same motor thing he shows earlier in the video.
    Yeah - I bought a frequency/tone generator. Solved my problems.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •