Noise in Neo Geo CD video output

jsianes

n00b
Hi,

I have a Neo Geo CD and after buying a RGB cable I noticed there is a lot of noise in the video output. Like big waves across the screen. You can check out the noise in the next videos:

During gameplay, you can notice them and it's very clear when the screen turns black. Using original AV video cable you can also see the same noise, but because the lower video output quality let's say it's less evident.

Sometimes, the console reset itself without any particular reason. Issue experienced using the official AC adapter and the cheap alternative.

Any of you have experience this issue? Do you know which could be the culprit? Could be an internal capacitor near to die or something similar? Any suggestion to review will be very welcome.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Could be a cap needing replacement. Could also be caused by a lot of other things - really hard to tell. Perhaps a high ESR cap affecting one of the supply rails?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If im not mistaken, I think the neo geo cd power connector suffers from getting the pins bent and not making a good connection. That might be why it resets randomly.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is it only via RGB? If it is, it's the cable.

jsianes

n00b
Xian Xi, unfortunately the issue is not only with the RGB. As I said in the first post, also happens with the original AV cable. Not so evident, because video quality is not that high, but still there and showing exactly the same pattern.

ChuChu Flamingo, the proprietary power connector for the Neo Geo CD is really a pain. Someone in another forum suggested me to replace it completely for something more standard. Will try to fix the end and check if it fits better in order to avoid resets. If issue persist, will probably replace the connector.

GadgetUK, good guess. I'm also thinking it could be a faulty cap related with the video output. Probably, will check caps nearby the AV connector and replace them if any other suggestion doesn't work.

Thanks everybody for your advices. I really appreciate them. If you have more suggestions, don't hesitate to add a new post.