Uber tipping - yay or fuck nay?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Guys let me ask you a question.

So I ordered some Dominos the other day (crazy I know) for pick-up.

So when I get there and about to swipe my card I get a prompt asking how much I want to tip (% based on total price). So I select the middle option since I was feeling generous but I dunno are you supposed to tip when you go to the place to pick up food? Delivery yeah for sure but pick up as well? What's the etiquette here? I never tip the guys at Taco Bell.

Use a Stolen Credit Card... Issue solved...

You can thank me later...

xROTx

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

So when I get there and about to swipe my card I get a prompt asking how much I want to tip (% based on total price). So I select the middle option since I was feeling generous but I dunno are you supposed to tip when you go to the place to pick up food? Delivery yeah for sure but pick up as well? What's the etiquette here? I never tip the guys at Taco Bell.

No lol. Tip the delivery boy but dont tip to pick up.

I used Uber for the first time yesterday and wanted to give the girl who drove me home a tip and she told me to add it in the app but I didnt see a option. Just a option to rate her.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
We're a Cash only business...

However... we do accept bareback from teh hawt ladiez as payment...

xROTx

You should have a sign by the register.

Tanooki

War Room Troll

If I go to Domino's (which is just maybe a mile from here) to carry out a pizza, I don't leave a damn thing. Why should I? Did they do anything special that the dude at Subway making a sandwich doesn't do, or even a burger slinger at McDonalds? No. I will give a couple dollars to a pizza delivery person as they get minimum and they're putting wear on their car and their gas/oil/tires and not a pizza mobile owned by the company.

A nice suggestion, look up TRUTv's Adam Ruins Everything. He did an episode on just this very thing with tipping and it while using heavy comedy is 100% cited with actual studies and figures why tipping in the US is basically a shame game line of bullshit when it comes to restaurants.

(Watch it, it's a 4min clip)

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
10-15% for a server is low. 20% is pretty much the standard. 10% is pretty much "stay at home you cheap fuck because you can't afford to eat out." At regular bars it's 25% plus I figure in more based on what they pour me for free.

Most people do not tip maid service in the hotel, I do it in most cases unless it I just don't happen to have change.

I don't tip shuttle drivers at the airports.

I'd rather tip an Uber driver than a Taxi driver, I've never had an Uber person chat on the phone the whole time or pretend they don't know where Chicago landmarks are.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
We're a Cash only business...

However... we do accept bareback from teh hawt ladiez as payment...

xROTx

So what is the etiquette on tipping someone for sexual services even if those services are actually provided as payment in kind?

Would seem cheap not to tip in those situations. Rot don't be cheap.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
If I go to Domino's (which is just maybe a mile from here) to carry out a pizza, I don't leave a damn thing. Why should I? Did they do anything special that the dude at Subway making a sandwich doesn't do, or even a burger slinger at McDonalds? No. I will give a couple dollars to a pizza delivery person as they get minimum and they're putting wear on their car and their gas/oil/tires and not a pizza mobile owned by the company.

A nice suggestion, look up TRUTv's Adam Ruins Everything. He did an episode on just this very thing with tipping and it while using heavy comedy is 100% cited with actual studies and figures why tipping in the US is basically a shame game line of bullshit when it comes to restaurants.

(Watch it, it's a 4min clip)
Adam Ruins Everything is one of the best things on television right now. Very similar to The Checkout on ABC (Australia).

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Weaboos never tip because in Japan if you tip them that means they did a bad job.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member

I don't tip when I pickup, f that. The whole reason I'm picking up is so I don't have to tip.

As far as Uber, I'd probably tip them. Especially if their ride is clean and no bs. I'm partial to giving a tip since I've spent several years in retail/service.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
It wasn't a feature from the beginning so no, I'm not tipping.

I tip unless I'm at a shitty bar/restaurant that I won't go to again, unless I had a good experience with the staff. Sometimes I tip people 20% or 30% just because I'm in a good mood. I tipped my favorite Japanese waitress (we are in America, not Japan-- they like it) like 60% the final time I visited her restaurant before I left Pennsylvania. I guess I like to have affinities with people, but she was always the absolute sweetest thing to me and remembered me every time I went in. Bless her soul!

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
10-15% for a server is low. 20% is pretty much the standard. 10% is pretty much "stay at home you cheap fuck because you can't afford to eat out." At regular bars it's 25% plus I figure in more based on what they pour me for free.

Most people do not tip maid service in the hotel, I do it in most cases unless it I just don't happen to have change.

I don't tip shuttle drivers at the airports.

I'd rather tip an Uber driver than a Taxi driver, I've never had an Uber person chat on the phone the whole time or pretend they don't know where Chicago landmarks are.

the first uber i took in Chicago was some admittedly sorta cute guy who tried to convince me to go to his house to teach him how to find peace through meditation. I told him I was very in tune with my inner self, and he said he could tell that I meditate from the second I got in the car. It was a very gentle and honorable way of trying to have sex with me. Hopefully it works on someone.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I always leave cash tips when eating at Asian establishments. If you tip via card, the house is sure to take it and the employee won't see it. If you tip with cash, there is only a 50/50 chance that the house will take it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I hand it directly to the person I want to have it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
When i was in Hong Kong, i tipped & the old man got so mad.

I recently went out to eat in Fujiyama restaurant. Its where they cook your food & do some samurai cutting...It was pretty neat but i dont like the automatic gratuity bullshit. I got stuck with a $40+ tip because we had 6 people. Almost $300 for fucking lunch.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I do tip. I would prefer that these jobs just paid their employees properly, but its not like i can change the rules, and I also can't perpetuate the stereotype that black people don't tip.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I tip delivery drivers and restaurant servers if they provide good service. I know how much they actually get paid and in my experiences, they all but need the tips to earn a respectable wage.

As for tipping driving services, I usually tip if they get me there fast and they aren't jerks.

EDIT: And as has been said in this thread already, I give the cash tip directly to the server/driver in question.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I don't tip when I pickup, f that. The whole reason I'm picking up is so I don't have to tip.
A black guy that doesn't tip. Now I've heard just about everything!

If it's something like a pizza place or just a regular fast food/carryout place then yeah I won't tip. If it's a place that is mostly dine-in, but does carry-out then I'll tip. It takes a server's time to check your order, include napkins, bag it up, ask if you need any sauces on the side, etc. Most expect nothing but are grateful even if it's 10%.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I do tip. I would prefer that these jobs just paid their employees properly, but its not like i can change the rules, and I also can't perpetuate the stereotype that black people don't tip.
sometimes i like to perpetuate the idea that im a stupid white bitch with no respect for anyone