Uber tipping - yay or fuck nay?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Uber announced that it will be adding a tip function to its app, thereby signalling the eventual drop in pay to the drivers, and the hoisting of added costs to the passenger.

Personally, i won't tip. Like when I go to a coffee shop and get a coffee and the payment screen first asks how much i want to tip - fuck that. It's a $2.00 coffee.

America needs to stand up against this stupid practice. Take a page from Japan where no one tips. Evolve.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I must confess... I usually tip...

...unless I've had some particularly poor service...

xROTx

PS. Japan eh... do they look at you funny if you try and tip them? SOMEONE TELL ME!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'll tip Lyft drivers, because Uber drivers in MA are nothing but convicted criminals.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I must confess... I usually tip...

...unless I've had some particularly poor service...

xROTx

PS. Japan eh... do they look at you funny if you try and tip them? SOMEONE TELL ME!

Yeah, they look at you like you're a sad retarded animal about to be euthanized.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Yeah, they look at you like you're a sad retarded animal about to be euthanized.

This is how I will imagine it... MUCH BETTER...

1cb2ac0130fb31b48b18fa1e1446a57d.gif

xROTx

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the only people i find that really look for tips in the uk are delivery drivers from fast food joints. some would actually stand there waiting for a tip.

but good thing everywhere else is more optional, like coffee shops. i think i may have tipped maybe two or three times at a cafe nero and they don't even seem to expect one.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
1/10. Shitpost.

Can't aways be top of ma' game man..

Anyway... I always imagined waiters and waitresses to be poorly paid and stressed out... I like to think tipping them goes towards the drunken way I behave at restaurants...

xROTx

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the only people i find that really look for tips in the uk are delivery drivers from fast food joints. some would actually stand there waiting for a tip.

but good thing everywhere else is more optional, like coffee shops. i think i may have tipped maybe two or three times at a cafe nero and they don't even seem to expect one.

I don't mind tipping delivery people. Their job sucks, and doesn't make anything near the amount that Uber drivers can supposedly make in a year. In DC uber drivers average $20. In Detroit $9/hr. (lol)

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I always tip for any kind of restaurant service or driving service, but there's no way in hell I'm tipping someone for pouring me a drink or handing me a pastry. Sadly, those people sometimes are the most insistent about getting a tip. I wish tipping wasn't a thing at all and wages were simply higher, but I just don't ever see that happening here.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Restaurants are the only place tipping is expected here. I'll sometimes leave the change with a cab driver but not often. Tipping creates confusion, confusion creates guilt, guilt creates unhappiness.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Tipping is something I never liked or understood how people were so complacent with to never question it.

If you ever ask a waiter whether they'd prefer a $2.50 wage or a minimum wage, they will always choose the $2.50, because truth is they can make a good deal in tips. Fuck the cooks and the dishwasher boys though, and fuck just about anyone else who gets stuff done despite you never seeing their face.

Over here waiters will take your order, they will bring you your food, and they will never bother you throughout your meal. If you need something, you yell for them. And the best part, no tipping.

Last summer went goddamned Buffalo Wild Wings with friends, some faggot paid for everyone's bill cuz it was kind of a special dinner, it was like $80. I said I'llpay the tip, and I was all 'well i'm a semi-retarded manchild who has spent the past 4.5 years in a shithole and i don't know how much i should tip' and they were all 'Well she brought the food and drinks and was attentive, so how about $30' and I had the most gut-wrenching despair inside my heart but wore a smile on my face and said gladly as I set $30 on the table to a person who just walked over and brought us food.

I was Mr. Pink years before I saw Reservoir Dogs.

Americans better keep that shit culture in America. I feel it's already spread somewhat to Europe.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Im a tipper but dont go higher than 15%. My wife's best friens always bitches at me for not throwing down 20%. I tell her, once your 32 year old ass moves out of your parents home and pay rent or a mortgage along with a bunchbof other bills, I want to see you leave a 20% tip.

I think 15% is pretty generous. I think 10% is fine as well. When I goto Portugal on vacation, they dont request a tip like they do here. You leave a tip if you want to.

In Jersey you tip for everything. I know people that goto bars and leave a dollar for the bartender for every drink. You tip people for the dumbest shit around here.

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
18-20% for a waitress. Not rocket science. 30 bucks for 80 dollar bill is excessive. I feel like too many people come up with arbitrary high number for tip. Just double the first number on the bill write it into the tip and move on.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Where I live, people generally only tip at restaurants. Occasionally, I'll see someone tipping garbagemen or paperboys/girls, but that's about it. I live in a relatively rural area (my town only has a population of ~4,000), so I'm not sure that we even have any Uber or Lyft drivers here, just taxis (and you have to call those, they don't just drive around looking for fares to flag them down, so, those are almost like Uber/Lyft to begin with) and public buses.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I quite like it when a restaurant has a service charge to be honest, to save any confusion. I hate not knowing where to draw the line. I'll happily round up a bit on services like hair cuts or taxis and say to keep the change, but I pay by card for takeaways, so never tip delivery drivers. It seems to be expected a lot here now, which I don't mind, but I hate tipping excessive amounts. Everyone in the UK is on a minimum wage, so I'm not much richer than someone that serves me. My partner only earns just above minimum wage, and she doesn't get tips on top.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Tipping is something I never liked or understood how people were so complacent with to never question it.

If you ever ask a waiter whether they'd prefer a $2.50 wage or a minimum wage, they will always choose the $2.50, because truth is they can make a good deal in tips. Fuck the cooks and the dishwasher boys though, and fuck just about anyone else who gets stuff done despite you never seeing their face.

Over here waiters will take your order, they will bring you your food, and they will never bother you throughout your meal. If you need something, you yell for them. And the best part, no tipping.

Last summer went goddamned Buffalo Wild Wings with friends, some faggot paid for everyone's bill cuz it was kind of a special dinner, it was like $80. I said I'llpay the tip, and I was all 'well i'm a semi-retarded manchild who has spent the past 4.5 years in a shithole and i don't know how much i should tip' and they were all 'Well she brought the food and drinks and was attentive, so how about $30' and I had the most gut-wrenching despair inside my heart but wore a smile on my face and said gladly as I set $30 on the table to a person who just walked over and brought us food.

I was Mr. Pink years before I saw Reservoir Dogs.

Americans better keep that shit culture in America. I feel it's already spread somewhat to Europe.

$30 on an $80 table

Because she was attractive?

This is precisely the logic that we need to explore. This validates the dude with the confederate flag on his hat to tip waiters less for being black, or to pay someone less for being unattractive.

Project mayhem won't stop peeing in your bisque just because you give a big tip to the cute girl.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Where I live, people generally only tip at restaurants. Occasionally, I'll see someone tipping garbagemen or paperboys/girls, but that's about it. I live in a relatively rural area (my town only has a population of ~4,000), so I'm not sure that we even have any Uber or Lyft drivers here, just taxis (and you have to call those, they don't just drive around looking for fares to flag them down, so, those are almost like Uber/Lyft to begin with) and public buses.

Actually that's nice, giving garbagemen something. I used to get them cold drinks in summer when I was a kid.

Acknowledging people doing a good job in jobs where they rarely receive feedback from the people they're helping is always a good thing, and can mean a lot to someone.

edit:

$30 on an $80 table

Because she was attractive?

I know right? I thought it was crazy. The table had four people, a gay guy (not me), me and two girls. I don't think I was bamboozled, they were all like, 'she was really nice and refilled our glasses a lot, and we've been here a few hours so 30 sounds good.' Factoring in time for a tip, come on now. COME ON

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Actually that's nice, giving garbagemen something. I used to get them cold drinks in summer when I was a kid.

Until you realize that garbage people like Spike Spiegel owns arcade cabs and a big truck.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I always tip for any kind of restaurant service or driving service, but there's no way in hell I'm tipping someone for pouring me a drink or handing me a pastry. Sadly, those people sometimes are the most insistent about getting a tip. I wish tipping wasn't a thing at all and wages were simply higher, but I just don't ever see that happening here.

That's how I do it. I see no reason to put money into a little box for someone at Starbucks when you're already paying that much for a drink and it's not like they're doing anything more magical than any other place that can pour some tea or coffee.

I do wish the asinine practices of the US would die off of the tip shaming at restaurants. Many other areas of the word give their wait staff a proper paycheck so that tipping is not wanted, not required, and just weird if you do it. You go in knowing what you'll be paying for your food and that's it, not having to decide how much to throw at the staff after the fact for a job well done (or not.) Tipping is garbage because it's confusing, you get guilt (or something) from the amount, and you're unhappy throwing more cash at that meal (or whatever) than you already have done as it is.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Guys let me ask you a question.

So I ordered some Dominos the other day (crazy I know) for pick-up.

So when I get there and about to swipe my card I get a prompt asking how much I want to tip (% based on total price). So I select the middle option since I was feeling generous but I dunno are you supposed to tip when you go to the place to pick up food? Delivery yeah for sure but pick up as well? What's the etiquette here? I never tip the guys at Taco Bell.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I do not tip when i pickup carryout, but I've also wondered if other people do.

I also rarely tip hotel maid service. I didn't know that was a thing until a few years ago. I've been doing this more depending on the service quality.

I tip Uber when:
-The service was good
-They had to deal with drunk people

Last edited: