Last Resort - pure charm

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think this game is singular with respect to the neo library - it does what it does to a very high standard, and plus the look of it is after all these years still absolutely breathtaking. the whole of the first level, culminating in the fight with the first boss - the background transitions - everything - I'm still blown away by it. I remember when it had just come out, I thought it looked amazing, that hasn't changed much.
An R-Type-type game excellently well executed. Graphically it appears to take after Irem, it's one of the most well crafted arcade experiences for the system together with the likes of Metal Slug in my opinion.
am I overstating things? yes probably.
I just wish the AES wasn't so damn expensive these days. even though I sold my neo years ago, I would own this game for the item itself.
I had it some 10 years ago, never thought the price would creep up so much.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
am I overstating things?

Not at all. SNK was at their heights with their plagiarism, they took it the the next level, so to speak, so far indeed, that the phony became better than the original. In the case of Last Resort, even the name itself is iconic, not to mention the fact, how early the game was released. 1992, together with Viewpoint and Art of Fighting this was a milestone release.

What Last Resort did with the force unit is delivering one of the best variation of the original, beat only by the tentacles of X-Multiply. The perfect rank, the harsh, moody industrial setting, the bare-knuckle stereo f/x, its soundtrack and pop-cultural citations are each worth your thread alone ;).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Such a pity all of its ports have been shoddy.

edit: enjoy comparison shots to Akira

Akira-Neo-Tokyo.png

comp2.png

crater1.png

crater2.png

comp3.png

lresort006.png

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
You're totally not overstating here imho. Although I don't think it is singular in the neo library (pulstar bias here), I agree with you on all points. Last Resort's presentation is top notch. Stylistically, its music and art direction drive an interesting foreboding tone that resonates with the tension the gameplay creates. Stage 2 and 4 are fantastic standouts imho:

The multi-directional take on the r-type force is a wonderful mechanic that I wish would have seen further development and refinement via possible sequels. If you've ever loved r-type, this is a great game to really give some time to. The game truly does hold its own in the same way that the Streets of Rage titles are valid alternative offerings to Final Fight games imho.

Despite the valid critiques on its difficulty, I've always felt that the majority of Last Resort's 1st loop is actually well balanced. The 2nd loop is not impossible either, though it of course minimizes room for error in a game where the margin for player error is already razor thin in later stages. Overall, the stage design rewards careful execution as a slower paced shooter of this style was designed to do. Last Resort is a deeper shooter than one would think. Unfortunately, it is often passed over by many as nothing more than a barebones r-type clone :(

Last edited:

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
It's an average shmup that's aged poorly. If it wasn't on the Neo the posters in here wouldn't be circlejerking to it.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
It's an average shmup that's aged poorly. If it wasn't on the Neo the posters in here wouldn't be circlejerking to it.

Whats up Bar81, no one is saying it's a perfect game (because it definitely isn't) lol Rather it's an under appreciated one for those who enjoy what it has to offer. Everyone has their own oppinion, of course.

...Andro Dunos on the other hand is a title that would likely see very little defense if it were on a different console :keke:

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

Sure it has its flaws, but if you are a shmup fan, then there is no denying that it is a true classic! Love Last Resort! From the homage to Akira, to the soundtrack!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If it wasn't on the Neo the posters in here wouldn't be circlejerking to it.

This is likely true. However, you've never been able to support your claims of mediocrity/inferiority when speaking ill of certain games in the past.

What does an early 90's hori STG need to age gracefully?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Bar81 I disagree on all terms. I for one love R Type and subsequent installments, so this game and those of the sort find my favour more often than not.
I for one think it has aged fantastically.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Sounds like an accurate description of your own comments. These "entirely overhyped due to its rarity" and "so far can't say that I'm particularly impressed with my limited time with it" arguments are indeed average and will age poorly.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
I really appreciate Last Resort, looks and plays like a dream still nowadays, the perfect trait d'union between R-Type and Pulstar.
But I'm an Irem fag who still plays Super R-Type and forgives everyone of its slowdowns in 2017...

I remember when I saw it in a magazine for the first time: it was a screenshot of the third stage's boss, and I was shocked by that cyberleg...
Nam 1975 and Magician Lord were cool, but LR really changed my perception of the SNK hardware, even more than Fatal Fury.

Beyond the atmosphere and the perfectly fitting soundtrack, I really enjoy the dual use of the pod: it gives a lot of freedom and space for experiments when you correctly memorize the patterns.

That, and Windjammers, are still my favourite NG titles of the early years (oh well, and Viewpoint...).

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
You could buy a Neo CD and Last Resort for less than an AES cart of the game, let alone a console to play it on

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I thought Last Resort was made by Nazca under the SNK banner, incidentally isn't Nazca compromised of old Irem staff thus the similarities with R-type and what have you? I'm pretty sure Nazca has a story with Irem behind it.

I for one think the game is great. Better than most shooters on the Neo, greatr atmosphere, game has aged well, even if it wasn't on the Neo it would be a shmup to talk about just like we talk about Geostorm, X-Multiply, R-Type Leo, In the Hunt and so on. The game on its own holds up rather well, it doesn't need the Neo to leave a mark. I particulary think the difficulty and slowdown parts are very well done, unlike MSlug2 which is a clogged artery full of fat, lol.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I thought Last Resort was made by Nazca under the SNK banner, incidentally isn't Nazca compromised of old Irem staff thus the similarities with R-type and what have you? I'm pretty sure Nazca has a story with Irem behind it.

I for one think the game is great. Better than most shooters on the Neo, greatr atmosphere, game has aged well, even if it wasn't on the Neo it would be a shmup to talk about just like we talk about Geostorm, X-Multiply, R-Type Leo, In the Hunt and so on. The game on its own holds up rather well, it doesn't need the Neo to leave a mark. I particulary think the difficulty and slowdown parts are very well done, unlike MSlug2 which is a clogged artery full of fat, lol.

I mean maybe some members in SNK who made this game would later go on to become Nazca. But I wouldn't call it a Nazca game, that would be disingenous - it's an SNK game.

Same deal with Treasure and Konami. Some of the guys who would form Treasure later on worked on Super Castlevania IV and Contra III but those are Konami games, not Treasure's.

EDIT: list of guys who worked on LR here http://www.mobygames.com/game/last-resort

It appears about half the guys who worked on this only worked on this game and the other half went on to do some of the early KOFs. No one connected to Metal Slug/Nazca.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I never realized the Akira references till these threads. Crazy

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I'm sure some members in SNK who made this game would later go on to become Nazca. But I wouldn't call it a Nazca game, that would be disingenous - it's an Irem game.

Same deal with Treasure and Konami. Some of the guys who would form Treasure later on worked on Super Castlevania IV and Contra III but those are Konami games, not Treasure's.

yes but there is an undeniable line that runs throughout all these games, which speaks strongly of the talents at work in these titles. it may not qualify as Nazca/whatever else - but the genes are definetly there, as they are in In The Hunt for instance

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I can't speak about this game as eloquently or poetically as some of you folks, but plain and simple I love Last Resort. The atmosphere, the graphics, even the difficulty - it's completely engrossing from start to finish. It appears difficult at first glance, but nothing is insurmountable with proper use of the force pod. At only 5 stages long it needs to be difficult; in the absence of fancy scoring mechanics, the difficulty is the only thing bringing you back for more here.

My one complaint - the bosses are two easy. A couple well-timed charge shots to the weak spot spells lights out for all the bosses. The levels themselves present more of a challenge than any of the boss fights.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I just started playing this one, and so far I really like it. Very impressive. I really like the mobility of the pod, and the graphics set a great vibe. What I'm really appreciating is that the difficulty presents a challenge without being too frustrating.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I keep trying to get into Last Resort, but I am awful at it. I have always been more of a vertical shooter fan. Horizontal shooters just don't have the same appeal to me, and I am not as good at them. I am going to keep trying though. I think once I break the difficulty barrier, and learn how to play it, there could be a lot to enjoy. I love the look and the style of it.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
It's one of the best shumps on the Neo. Similar to R type but distinct enough to be it's own thing.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
It's an average shmup that's aged poorly.

I have to disagree. Out of all the Neo shooters, I always fall in love with this game each time I play it. It is unique.

If it wasn't on the Neo the posters in here wouldn't be circlejerking to it.

I don't see how that "If it wasn't on the Neo" argument justifies itself. Otherwise, we'd be all claiming Ghost Pilots as wonderful shooter just because it's on the "Neo".
I still like that one too, but yes - That one has aged poorly in comparison. In 10 years I'll still love Last Resort. Ghost Pilots maybe not.