Games that you always took for granted until you finally played them

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I remember always thinking Metroid looked dull and pointless, never understood the hook. Some years back I had a Super Metroid handy and thought why not. And holy fuck did it make me a believer. The atmosphere was intense, the way it built. The graphics where subtle and beautiful and the power up aspects of the game where magic.
I couldn't believe a SNES game was making me feel all these things so late on in the game.
Crazy when these things happen, especially with people like me who have strong likes and dislikes.

Ever have something like this happen?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hmmmm.

There were many games I was shit at when I was just a stupid fat kid.

Mega Man, in particular. Just looking at the level layouts in Nintendo Power intimidated me, jesus. "Gee whiz the bad guy's got a skull for a fortress, I'm scared!"

Only in my late teens did everything just click and I thought these games were just wonderful platformers. It's the essence of platformer - continually moving, jumping, shooting. Even the mediocre/bad games like MM4 through 6 are fun just because.

EDIT: About Metroid, as a stupid fat boy I was too stupid to beat the game and appreciate it. Maybe Super Metroid was easier...but I never played it

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
The Klonoa series is one that I overlooked over the years, and so did a lot of other people. I remember having a demo disk for the PS2 from when Playstation Underground was still a thing, and it had a demo for Klonoa 2 and some other games I can't quite remember. I found a copy of Klonoa 2 for dirt cheap about 10 years ago and gave it a whirl. Holy hell, the game was relatively easy, but oozed charm with its graphics and music. Wasn't the biggest fan of the GBA Klonoa games, but the Playstation games were top-notch. Shame we'll probably never see another Klonoa game after the painfully bad sales of the Wii remake. Though there IS a Klonoa movie being made, so there's that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Elder Scrolls

Dabbled in DOS versions but never got lost in them. i didnt touch another elder scrolls game until Skyrim....oooooo damn did i fall hard into that game.
They just looked like bland 3d RPG's before getting back into them.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^same + the Souls games, they also seemed dull and generic "Japanese doing western-style fantasy" and the gameplay seemed slow and dull, after actually playing them the slick mechanics and the non-overbearing plot really sucked me in, Dark Souls NG+ going on atm with around 170+ hours on the clock :D I still think that Demon's Souls looks like a PS2 game though.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
elder scrolls here as well. i thought the whole gameplay looked boring with boring medieval visuals and world. for me, if a game didn't have insane japanese anime style explosions where you summon a laser beam from the moon that wipes out all the enemies off the screen, then i wasn't interested.

then came a time when i had a lot of time to kill. so i thought let me give skyrim a go. that should keep me occupied for a while, right?. oh boy was i in for a surprise. best game ever made!.

i also went back and picked up oblivion. and i think i like it more than skyrim. both amazing games.

the halo series is also another one. every one loved it back in college. where as i thought it was just another boring fps. i was even trying to get people into playing quake 3 rather than halo. but now it's the only reason i picked the xbone over the ps4.

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The Wizardry series. I tried the NES port of the first game when I was a teenager, and, used to JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star, was completely disgusted with the gameplay (Draw my own maps on graph paper? Picking locks on treasure chests? Fuck that!), but, later in life, when I came to appreciate Dungeons & Dragons, I tried it again and loved it and have played many more installments of the series, including many of the Japanese ones we didn't get here.

The Guitar Hero series. When music games were all the rage, I was all like, "Whatever, I'm not shelling out money for a stupid plastic guitar just to play that shit." and I refused to try it. Then, many years later, I found Guitar Hero 2 and a guitar controller for dirt cheap at a thrift store, and figured, "Why the fuck not?", and I've been hooked ever since.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
There's something to be said about discovering/rediscovering games years after their release, especially when they become dirt cheap and somewhat forgotten. Nintendo game design and mechanics tend to do it for me. Not a major Nintendo fan when their games are being raved about in present time, when all the fanfare dies down and everyone goes elsewhere I tend to greatly enjoy the games. Hype tends to not do it for me 99% of the time.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Ghosts and Goblins series. As a kid renting that on Genesis, I gave up like twenty minutes in each time.

As an adult, love those games. Basically anything with pattern recognition and memory that equates to "skill" I now am super into gaming wise. Same with the mega man series...as a kid I did not understand the optimal weapons for each robot master

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
First played DOOM around 2003 and Thief around 2009. Both blew me away. Thief II is still the best stealth game ever made.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Metal Gear Rising: Co-developed by my 2 favourite studios, so my exceptions were through the roof. Didn't turn out bad, but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would (didn't like the maps much and the camera was constantly causing me motion sickness).

Virtua Fighter 1: didn't know about 3D back then, but as a kid, I used to laugh at how the game looked, and kept wondering why would anyone play that.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i loved metal gear rising. my only complaint is that it does get tedious towards the end and like you said, boring level design. if the game kept the intensity and style it had the first couple of level all the way through, it would probably be my favourite hack and slash of all time.

i played rising the same time i first played castlevania lords of shadows. and i actually enjoyed lords of shadow more.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I never played BTG until the 00's. I mean, it's a golf game, right? Far from it. That was my discovery. The game I tried back then, but neglected was Super Shinobi II. No Koshiro, an overcomplicated double jump and... surfing? That was a big mistake, probably my biggest. The other dumb move was to reject Bare Knuckle III, that game is now my favorite part, the ost was too ahead of its time, I guess. Now it fits perfectly.

Back then I also didn't dig the whole 2.5D movement, today I'm a big fan of TFV, G-Darius, Delta, Einhander et al. Pre-rendered stuff doesn't scare me off either, nor does Mega Drive's limited color palette. And I finally made my peace with QTE's.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I never played BTG until the 00's. I mean, it's a golf game, right? Far from it. That was my discovery. The game I tried back then, but neglected was Super Shinobi II. No Koshiro, an overcomplicated double jump and... surfing? That was a big mistake, probably my biggest. The other dumb move was to reject Bare Knuckle III, that game is now my favorite part, the ost was too ahead of its time, I guess. Now it fits perfectly.

Back then I also didn't dig the whole 2.5D movement, today I'm a big fan of TFV, G-Darius, Delta, Einhander et al. Pre-rendered stuff doesn't scare me off either, nor does Mega Drive's limited color palette. And I finally made my peace with QTE's.

NTM was never on my radar until I bought it off a whim and played it. I never got into golf games, but this was incredible.

One game I never gave a chance until just a few years ago was Castlevania Symphony of the Night. A loose disc was part of a box of random PS1 games at a garage sale and u never paid it any mind until a few years ago. Leaps and bounds ahead of it's time and it has not been topped in terms of soundtrack, grandeur, and level design since. I mean, an entirely new castle after the good ending?!! Blew my mind. And this was in 2015

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I hadn't played a zelda game in my life before I picked up GB Links Awakening and played it on my GBC in 2000. Good, good times.

I owned super tennis on the SNES from day one but just never really got round to playing it. It took me ten years to realise it might be my favourite sports game of the generation.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Mighty No. 9. Especially, the playable Ray character that marries the gameplay of Mega Man Zero to the "gotta keep killing!" idea from Shinobi on ps2.