Picked up an empty Big Red

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
RedMeetsBlue.JPG

Got my 4-slot in the mail today. Did some work moving around my project cabs before I start working on them. Thought I'd line up a couple of cousin cabs made by 3Koam. So Big Blue, meet Big Red.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I like that cab alot. But I have too many. I will be putting it up for sale soon. It is in good working order and condition (exactly like it i in the picture above). But will be sans PCB.

I'd be tempted since I have a Die Hard Arcade PCB, but I think my fiancee would kill me if I dragged that home. Plus it wouldn't exactly fit in a studio apartment, especially when I'd be trying to already fit my Neo Geo cab in here. :lolz:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Looks like a fun project not too bad of shape either, should be fun to find a CRT for that bad boy, give her some love haha

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Looks like a fun project not too bad of shape either, should be fun to find a CRT for that bad boy, give her some love haha

She will be functionally running before the weekend is over. That is the plan anyway. I got monitors for her ready to go. Here is what I need to do:

1. Reconnect the RGB, Ground, Sync wires to a molex connectors that will fit in a K7000.
2. Re-terminate the AC line so that it will connect to a K7000's AMP connector. Make sure the AC line is isolated properly while I do that.
3. Perform continuity tests for the JAMMA harness making sure it truly is wired correctly for the MVS and wasn't redone for JAMMA standard. I got a few of Ian Kellog's finger boards to make the job easier.
4. Maybe replace the PSU. It is using a bible-sized screw terminal switching PSU. Might just leave that there or replace the dead arcade PSU for a spare I got. But maybe I'll just stick to the switcher because I hate re-terminating molex connectors.

I'll post pics as I go along.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Nice pickup - the light panels usually die out - you can get replacements though - I just switched out mine to the A6 EL panels from Glowhut.com. They are very close in width but maybe about 1/4" to 1/2" taller. You can either cut them or tape over that extra. I used electrical tape to tape over the extra and worked out perfect.

Very cool to know. I did a search on the forum and found an old post from 200x-ish where it was stated, "either live with it or get a working set". But it is good to know there has since been an alternative found. Because I did plug the cab in and while the LED's for the CP turned on, nothing came on in the marquee. I did see some cut wire just hanging down from the marquee. Hope the damage isn't too bad. But yeah, happy to know there has since been a solution.

So I found some less expensive A6 EL panels on eBay. Bought 3 without the invertor and 1 with invertor. They didn't have proper stock of the ones without the invertor. So the one with the invertor, I'll just discard the parts I don't need, losing a few bucks in the process. All told it was just under $52 bucks. Not in a rush when it comes to arcade projects since they are always a labor of love. I'll wait for them to get here from China now.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The memory cards are for sure useful in a personal collection. That's why NeoTurfmasta routinely sells out of the cards he makes.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
The memory cards are for sure useful in a personal collection. That's why NeoTurfmasta routinely sells out of the cards he makes.

Alright. I'll check it out.

So the day after I bought my A6 panels, the vendor with the cheapest set brings them back in stock. Funny how things work out.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Alright, since I have no idea what this cab was used for before I got it, and knowing that the MVS pinout is different than standard JAMMA, had to be sure things are in order before plugging my 4-slot into the cab and turning on the power. It does look like an "operator's special job" was done on this cab. Here is some CAT 5(?) cable spliced into the cab for what looks like the audio connection?

IMG_1541.JPG

Most important to test for are that the power connectors, grounds, and video connections off the edge connector are where they should be. To take out the guess work, I plugged in one of Ian Kellog's fingerboards to the edge connector to make the continuity testing with a multimeter easier. Everything is labeled on this and I can just poke the meter leads into the through-hole solder points to do my continuity testing. I picked some of these up for MAME projects. But found additional utility for them. Not bad for a few bucks.

IMG_1537.JPG

It seems the RGB, Sync, and video ground were just sliced off. But I needed to make sure that the wires corresponded correctly so I tested with the multimeter and sure enough, all the wires were indeed the video connection wires. Last thing I would want to do is fry another K7000 chassis. Peace of mind.

IMG_1538.JPG

Also, it looks like the monitor AC line in and ground was also sliced off. But of course, I am not going to assume that either. So I tested for continuity from the ISO and sure enough, these wires are indeed the AC line in and ground wires for the monitor. The gauge on these wires are thinner than normal for AC. Weird. Here is a shot after I terminated with a proper Molex connector.

IMG_1539.JPG

Next step is to solder in wires to extend the cut off lengths to suit my restoration purposes.

So this pic shows the OG arcade PSU. It is dead. As you can see, the last owner put in a book-sized switching PSU (did I say "operator's special" earlier or not?) I am not sure if I am willing to replace the working switching PSU just yet. Think I will get everything running first before I make that decision. More to come..........

IMG_1540.JPG

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Bought like 12 Dynamo's that were being dumped by an operator about 1.5 years ago. Sadly, few of the monitors worked and all the cabs have been under a tarp in my backyard for most of the time since then. Had to sort through my stock of cabs to find a working K7000. When I finally found one, the red was dead on it. Swapped the chassis to one of the dead monitors. The dead red followed the chassis. That is the good news because pots are an easy fix (even though I haven't replaced one yet). Bad news, I have no replacement pots handy and so I had to keep digging for a working K7000. Found one but the focus was going in and out upon power cycles. I'll have to replace the flyback which I do have handy before it goes into the Big Red. Slight burn in on this tube. I might take a moment to find a more suitable tube to go into the Big Red, but am too lazy today. I have a Craftymech TPG to calibrate the tube. Hoping the green and reds will be deeper when done. After all that effort, here are some pics of the potential monitor candidate:

TPG1.JPGTPG2.JPG

Also, I found I had a working PSU that had the same connector as the one in the cab. So I pulled out the dead PSU and operator's special PSU. Also tested that the right voltages were come off the edge connector were they should be. Everything is in good order. Only thing missing is the monitor, securing the 4-slot to the cab, the bezel, bezel glass, and EL panels. Hopefully, the monitor goes in this weekend.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Soldered together video wires to lengthen them enough so they can attach to the monitor. It was the last thing to do before putting in the monitor......

IMG_1565.JPG

........and she lives to entertain again! Happy!

IMG_1566.JPG

A few things left to do. Secure everything to the cab: PSU, wires, monitor, 4-slot. Then move on to the EL panels which I got in the mail on Friday (another reason to be happy). I have to work on the bezel and monitor glass. Then move on to polishing up or replacing the functional parts like sticks and buttons. Then the cosmetics I'll get to some day :). But I am really happy she is up and running.

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
This is coming along really nice. Its nice to see another big red come back to life.

Let me know how the EL panes work out and where you got them from. Replacing El panels on mine is my next project.

Good Luck!

mustang-gt

n00b
Awesome buy I bought two for 900 one is a 4 cart motherboard the other one its just a single the guy I bought it from also gave me 5 cartridges.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Did I say that I really like the Big Red and that it is easily one of my fave cabs? Well, here is proof. Bought a 2nd one!
BigReds1.JPG