Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up an empty Big Red

Picked up an empty Big Red

Traded it for a painted over Williams cab that was once Moon Patrol, then converted to Wrestlefest. Pretty happy about my first Neo Geo cab!

It's in pretty good condition, but missing the monitor, bezel, glass, and rear panels. I have all the rest. Don't know if the light panels work. Hoping they do (fingers crossed).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Very cool! All the ones by me are like $350, totally stripped, with cracked wood and just pretty much jacked-up absolutely everywhere.

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

I find playing games without a monitor can add an entirely new spectrum of difficulty and can be quite engaging. It is almost like you're blind when you really are not.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.

Astra Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by acblunden2 View Post
    Traded it for a painted over Williams cab that was once Moon Patrol, then converted to Wrestlefest. Pretty happy about my first Neo Geo cab!

It's in pretty good condition, but missing the monitor, bezel, glass, and rear panels. I have all the rest. Don't know if the light panels work. Hoping they do (fingers crossed).
    Nice find! Good luck with the project/build!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuChu Flamingo View Post
    I find playing games without a monitor can add an entirely new spectrum of difficulty and can be quite engaging. It is almost like you're blind when you really are not.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Bashful Neophyte

Looks like it will be great for a restoration!

King's Dry Cleaner

How the hell does your control panel look that nice? Usually they're rubbed down to the metal. Anyway, nice scoop, man!
    -Always peanut butter
    -Confident strategy
    -Become president of peanut butters

...........and here is the converted cab that I traded for the Big Red with. Of course, I pulled the marquee, bezel, monitor before making the trade. I really like the charm of that Williams Moon Patrol cab. But I think I came out on top here.

Hardened Shock Trooper

This thread made me think of an empty soda can
    MAYONNAISE FARMER

Neo Bubble Buster

Nice pickup - the light panels usually die out - you can get replacements though - I just switched out mine to the A6 EL panels from Glowhut.com. They are very close in width but maybe about 1/4" to 1/2" taller. You can either cut them or tape over that extra. I used electrical tape to tape over the extra and worked out perfect.
    MVS 4-slot Big Red

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Carrot View Post
    This thread made me think of an empty soda can
    Speaking of empty can's, I have a Sega Trash Can Cab too!

Quote Originally Posted by drmadd220 View Post
    Nice pickup - the light panels usually die out - you can get replacements though - I just switched out mine to the A6 EL panels from Glowhut.com. They are very close in width but maybe about 1/4" to 1/2" taller. You can either cut them or tape over that extra. I used electrical tape to tape over the extra and worked out perfect.
    Very cool to know. I did a search on the forum and found an old post from 200x-ish where it was stated, "either live with it or get a working set". But it is good to know there has since been an alternative found. Because I did plug the cab in and while the LED's for the CP turned on, nothing came on in the marquee. I did see some cut wire just hanging down from the marquee. Hope the damage isn't too bad. But yeah, happy to know there has since been a solution.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    In Trump's America, getting further and further from God

Nice to see another Titan owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    Xorthen was on my case for a few days via PM (and then some) offering to pay me $20 just to talk on the phone with me for an hour, but he chickened out or something and then decided to be an asshole in public towards me
    LOL.. Get rekt, lonely boy

Neo Bubble Buster

Very cool to know. I did a search on the forum and found an old post from 200x-ish where it was stated, "either live with it or get a working set". But it is good to know there has since been an alternative found. Because I did plug the cab in and while the LED's for the CP turned on, nothing came on in the marquee. I did see some cut wire just hanging down from the marquee. Hope the damage isn't too bad. But yeah, happy to know there has since been a solution.
    Hopefully the inverter board that powers the panels is still up there - it should be mounted on the back of the wooden board the marquee holder and speakers are mounted to. Those seem to be a little trickier to find. If it is up there take a look at the two 1-ohm resistors by the input section - you may need to replace those. For some reason they used those for fuses instead of actually installing fuses on the board. Mine were cracked and a little charred looking so I had to replace them.
    MVS 4-slot Big Red

Hopefully the inverter board that powers the panels is still up there - it should be mounted on the back of the wooden board the marquee holder and speakers are mounted to. Those seem to be a little trickier to find. If it is up there take a look at the two 1-ohm resistors by the input section - you may need to replace those. For some reason they used those for fuses instead of actually installing fuses on the board. Mine were cracked and a little charred looking so I had to replace them.
    Thanks man. The Big Red pickup is like a new girlfriend. Reminds me of that Journey song where the line goes /I get the joy of rediscovering you/..... Last time I seen a Big Red was I'd say....'95?

I won't see the cab again till the weekend since I travel during the week for work. But I'll take a closer look behind the marquee when I do for that PCB. I do see the EL Panel LCD's. I see the CP LED PCB's. And looks like the mem card and headphone jack PCB is there too. But there is no slot cut out in the CP for those things. I'll take lots of pics when I get home. Didn't have a chance to on Monday when it was delivered to me right after the NBA Finals closeout game. Maybe even turn this thread into a restore thread.

King's Dry Cleaner

I don't get to take a look at my cab often either. It's stored over in Ceres, which is way out of the way of where I live now. I think a couple of my EL panels are out too, but that's the least of my worries with mine lol. I was mainly worried about getting my monitor rejuved. I had the luck of having a Zenith monitor that's absolutely notorious for their issues. Good to see another NG member that's relatively close, and has one that's similar to mine!
    -Always peanut butter
    -Confident strategy

Next time you need a tube re-juved, let me know. I picked up one recently and need to get some use out of it. Always good to save some dough in this hobby so we can get to playing games.

King's Dry Cleaner

The monitor should hopefully be fine for quite some time. I'll keep that in mind though, so thanks man! We rejuved it in the back of my pickup outside his house
    -Always peanut butter
    -Confident strategy

Alright, home from work for the rest of the week. Took some snaps of the cab.

IMG_1471.JPG

The cab comes with a 2-slot. I'll quickly swap that out for a 4 slot to bring the cab back to its rightful function. Notice the marquee invertor cable is unattached?

IMG_1472.JPG

Here is a shot of the underside of the CP. Phew....sure glad all of the PCB's are there.

IMG_1474.JPG

A shot of the top side of the CP. I do see a crack in the plastic. Something I'll have to live with since it is OG. Otherwise, it is in good shape.

IMG_1476.JPG

Right side of the cab.

IMG_1477.JPG

Closer look at the right side reveals a crack in the laminate. I'll also learn to live with this since the side art is largely intact and is OG.

IMG_1478.JPG

Left profile. Nothing major in terms of damage.

IMG_1480.JPG

Lower laminate is ripped off the cab. I think I will paint rather than attach laminate as paint is more durable, easier to clean, protects the cab better than laminate, is easier to repair, and last longer.

IMG_1481.JPG

As it turns out, I do have the mem card slots and headphone jacks afterall. Just the sticker was removed and it was dark when the cab was delivered to me and I didn't notice the slots/jacks.

IMG_1482.JPG

And and and and the all important invertor for the EL Panels is still there and looks surprising clean for it's age and considering all the archeological dust all around that area! Thanks for the heads-up on that one drmadd220.

Welp, 3 days ago, I knew nothing about the Big Red cab. Now, I am loving it. I have a ton of cabs (well projects), but this one is easily one of my faves already. Can't wait to bring her back to life.

Thanks all for the feedback, info, and answers to my future stupid questions Let the fun begin!

Neo Bubble Buster

And and and and the all important invertor for the EL Panels is still there and looks surprising clean for it's age and considering all the archeological dust all around that area! Thanks for the heads-up on that one drmadd220.

Welp, 3 days ago, I knew nothing about the Big Red cab. Now, I am loving it. I have a ton of cabs (well projects), but this one is easily one of my faves already. Can't wait to bring her back to life.

Thanks all for the feedback, info, and answers to my future stupid questions Let the fun begin!
    Good news in the invertor board. Looks to be in nice condition.
    MVS 4-slot Big Red

Neo Bubble Buster

IMG_1472.JPG

Here is a shot of the underside of the CP. Phew....sure glad all of the PCB's are there.

IMG_1481.JPG

As it turns out, I do have the mem card slots and headphone jacks afterall. Just the sticker was removed and it was dark when the cab was delivered to me and I didn't notice the slots/jacks.
    It looks like the memory card/head phone jack board is there (maybe?) based upon the mounting screws present in the underside of the CP pic, but that might be just the mounting screw to the standoff for the board. It looks like the headphone wire harness wires are cut, they look like the 4 wires on top of the memory card PC mounting plate. Also I do not see the memory card wire harnesses. They are two larger harnesses about 1/2" in diameter with a bunch of wires in them. They would be exiting out the left side of the memory card/head phone jack board. Take a look under that upper mounting plate under the CP and see if the board is there.
    Last edited by drmadd220; 06-17-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    MVS 4-slot Big Red

Good news in the invertor board. Looks to be in nice condition.
    Yeah man. Thanks for that. You saved me hours of Google-fu by letting me know that. Also, getting the marquee working is imperative for me. The arcade experience isn't the same without the faint glow of marquee light bouncing off one's face.

I have a 4-slot mainboard coming my way in a week or so. But I did attach the EL panel connector to the 2-slot mainboard. Hope that is the proper thing to do. But it looks like the EL panels are dead. I'll wait for the cheap ones on Ebay to come back in stock.

It looks like the memory card/head phone jack board is there (maybe?) based upon the mounting screws present in the underside of the CP pic, but that might be just the mounting screw to the standoff for the board. It looks like the headphone wire harness wires are cut, they look like the 4 wires on top of the memory card PC mounting plate. Also I do not see the memory card wire harnesses. They are two larger harnesses about 1/2" in diameter with a bunch of wires in them. They would be exiting out the left side of the memory card/head phone jack board. Take a look under that upper mounting plate under the CP and see if the board is there.
    That board is definitely there. The two memory card ribbon cables aren't. What's a good source to replace those cables that are of proper length? Also, the headphone jacks do appear cut. Good news is that it looks like JST NH connectors are used to attach the headphone jacks to the mainboard? If so, I have a billion JST NH connector pins. So it might just be a matter of getting the connectors, then re-terminating them.

Any of you guys with one of these cabs find practical value for the memory cards in a personal collection environment? I am weighing if I should even pursue restoring that, then obtaining the necessary memory card. Like, I know I would never use headphones with this cab even though this should be an easy fix.
    Last edited by acblunden2; 06-17-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Die Gans

Make sure to check and clean the pins before trying to insert a card. I used to have a card reader that had lots of corrosion.
    Originally Posted by kernow:
    Serious, serious problems man, you have them.

POCKETBIKE NUT

Ah I remember when I wanted one of those so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
    Ah I remember when I wanted one of those so bad...
    I like that cab alot. But I have too many. I will be putting it up for sale soon. It is in good working order and condition (exactly like it i in the picture above). But will be sans PCB.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    In Trump's America, getting further and further from God

I like that cab alot. But I have too many. I will be putting it up for sale soon. It is in good working order and condition (exactly like it i in the picture above). But will be sans PCB.
    Those things are tanks. I like how the CP doesnt feel cramped with 2 players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    Xorthen was on my case for a few days via PM (and then some) offering to pay me $20 just to talk on the phone with me for an hour, but he chickened out or something and then decided to be an asshole in public towards me
    LOL.. Get rekt, lonely boy

Thread Information