Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Yes,Neo Geo X made me sad. It was not what I was expecting.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Polymega vs Neo CD

https://youtu.be/3IccQcMmQhg

Here's a video of the Polymega running Neo Geo CD for anyone interested, I'm guessing its Android based? Definitely improves the load times, but I'm not sure that I'd personally grab one. Also plays Genesis CDs and a few others...

3havoc

n00b
Wow, I see the Polymega formerly known as the Retroblox system is progressing but I want to see actual hardware running I am getting the slight whiff of Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I built my own polymega yesterday. Took me a few hours

AIO Gigabyte 1037u w/ lakka os running retro arch. Going to try to rig up a working USB cd drive this weekend

Cut a custom acrylic case in the next few weeks...make it look nice

but it took no time. Emulator box. Case will be the longest process.

That's why I am leary of the polymega. Expensive mini computer with custom front end and it's almost the cost of a new console??

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I would rather have a modded AES with the Neo SD cart or perhaps a consolized MVS

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Also excited for it, but I'm not spending a cent until I see some reviews once it's released.

I'd like to see Game Sack tackle it. They're always spot on with these retro systems.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I thought this thing fell off the edge of the earth. I won't lie that it interests me, but I don't have any expectations built up whatsoever.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Been following this for a while but the devs aren't very open which usually bodes ill for a project. Also, I think the concept is great but I am not sure about it's execution. Hopefully we'll find out someday soon!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It worked well in a couple of games, but it was way too sensitive for most. In the various racing games I tended to favor using a regular dpad over either the UFO pad or the official Saturn steering wheel.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Depends on what is deemed retro anymore...DC a is over 18 years old now, and PS1 had analog stick support before that. Saturn "kinda" did I guess, was never a huge fan of their 3d controller.

Seeing it from that perspective, even the Mega Drive had analog support via Micomsoft's XE-1AP.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I don’t really get the point of this RetroBlox/PolyMega. I mean, I love retrogaming in all its forms: I love my beefy emuPC, my MiSTer FPGA, my Analogue Super NT and I’m sourcing a MV-1C in order to use it with my OSSC (plus all my old consoles). I see pros and cons of each approach, I’m not an extremist at all (i.e. this rules, everything else sucks). But I don’t get the point of this implementation: they’re mixing the latencies of software emulation on an ARM SOC with the inconvenience of dealing with real media. Not saying that real media has not its charm, but on an emulator... meh...

Regards.

Locutus73

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
So is this an emulation box...or? What? I thought the Dreamcast Already Loaded Neo Geo CD games at something like 6X speed. What's the appeal here? Why would I buy this?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It worked well in a couple of games, but it was way too sensitive for most. In the various racing games I tended to favor using a regular dpad over either the UFO pad or the official Saturn steering wheel.

I thought the 3D pad was (is) excellent with the Sega Ages series (Afterburner 2... Out Run etc), and the best controller for Sega Rally on the system. I'll admit I don't use it with anything else though... I don't remember whether it was compatible with Biohazard?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
If they are able to implement the latest retroarch with run-ahead, this thing could be very very nice. Let's be honest, they are more than likely stealing someone's emulator work - so might as well steal the latest and greatest, or better yet work out a deal with them