Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
Emulation box that still uses the original media; the worst of 2 worlds.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I just hope that the Zimba 3000 will look as good as those renders. If he ever manages to complete his project, that is.

Emulation box that still uses the original media; the worst of 2 worlds.

To be fair, it only uses the original media once, as you can dump it to the system's memory then play them from there. Alternatively you can use the Everdrive.

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
To be fair, it only uses the original media once, as you can dump it to the system's memory then play them from there. Alternatively you can use the Everdrive.

Seems like a rather expensive solution to copy some roms over.

Seems like a rather expensive solution to copy some roms over.

I guess it is ok for people who already own games collections. As for everdrive, you cannot dump them to the PolyMega's memory so you will need to play via the device. But in the end it is all about the quality. If I can put say a SNES running via Framemeister side by side with PolyMega running SNES and I can see or hear no difference, I'm ok with that. But if there are issues, changes or sound is off, then they don't even have to bother. So yes, I'll wait for reviews from people who actually know what to look for.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Those kind of reviews will be hard to come by since the kind of players who care are already sticking with original hardware. Unfortunately most reviews will be people like Gamester saying it's awesome.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Gamester is basically a video gamer nerd video blowjob of anything that is given free. Can't trust much of anyone.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Gamester is basically a video gamer nerd video blowjob of anything that is given free. Can't trust much of anyone.

He has got to be one of the worst youtubers going for game related stuff

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Not sure if this is gonna be the end all be all system....what's the catch?

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Not sure if this is gonna be the end all be all system....what's the catch?

The catch is most likely to be spotty software emulation running on a old mobile chipset. The second most likely catch is high prices for each console add-on module.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That was my guess. The third catch would be a shit quality build like anything from Yobo or the original version of the Hyperkin stuff like the flimsy bendable Retron5 with the also easily crushed pins. Maybe all the drive motor parts will be the weakest usable plastic guaranteed just to make it through the 90day to 1yr warranty whatever it has on it. And being a cheap piece of chinese junk, good luck getting a repair or RMA on it. Corners are bound to be cut on something of this magnitude as deadlines come due and something has to hit the market.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's not 'bashing it', it's bashing the concept. To paraphrase Indy: emulation belongs in a PC ;).

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I love that it plays CD-ROMS out of the box.. Will it play other rewritable CDs too? Will it also be able to play disc images that haven't been ripped in the machine? I wish the machine had all the different systems natively built in rather than having to add/remove modules. This is inconvenient/expensive. Besides the history of module add-ons is a graveyard of consoles; 32X, Sega CD, Pioneer LaserActive, etc.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Looks cool and I like that you could run cd's but so far I skipped out on most of these emu boxes and dont regret it one bit.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I love that it plays CD-ROMS out of the box.. Will it play other rewritable CDs too? Will it also be able to play disc images that haven't been ripped in the machine? I wish the machine had all the different systems natively built in rather than having to add/remove modules. This is inconvenient/expensive. Besides the history of module add-ons is a graveyard of consoles; 32X, Sega CD, Pioneer LaserActive, etc.

That's called a PC with a DVD drive, buddy. :mr_t:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I think the appeal is not having to sit at your computer or set a computer up to be run through your big TV. If someone doesn't care about that though, all the better not to buy the polymega as you get more options.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
To paraphrase Indy: emulation belongs in a PC ;)
Indiana-Jones-I-love-you.gif

I think the appeal is not having to sit at your computer or set a computer up to be run through your big TV. If someone doesn't care about that though, all the better not to buy the polymega as you get more options.
Raspberry Pi 3 w/ Retropie....

Last edited:

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
I think what a lot of people are missing is the fact that this is a clone console with support for Disc-based media. Yes, you can do the same thing with a computer and a disc drive blablabla that much is obvious. So I don't believe this console is made for the console elitist because they will just play on real hardware on a regular TV anyhow. I have a game room where some consoles are hooked up to a PVM for personal play and I have a recording station where I have some more real hardware hooked up for recording. However, I STILL would like to get me one of these just out of convenience. When I have game nights, I like to have people come over and bring some of their favorite games depending on what consoles we are playing that day. It'd be cool to just have peeps come over, bring whatever games, poppin em in and playing within a couple minutes. No need to fiddle with shit or disrupt my gameroom. I especially don't want to disrupt the consoles in my video capture area. So for me, this would serve a purpose.

I got to play with the prototype when it was Retroblox and again as the Polymega when the NGCD support was added. Load times are almost non-existent on CD games. One of the drawbacks for me was not having the ability to hook up a neo joystick or pad to it. However, they're talking about maybe making a Neo module down the line. Although, you could prolly USB to Neo adapter to it.

In any case. I'll prolly get one for reasons stated. I feel people will yell at clouds no matter what though, so I guess it's just a game of wait and see.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That's quite a fine purchase I did last xmas.
Did you manage to get one already? :D
Nah, I'm fine emulating on the PC in our study. I'll buy one eventually though, to turn into a headless torrentbox...

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
This project is getting more interesting, but I'm still not a fan of their approach given what's possible these days. FPGA clones with enhancements are more impressive to me compared to these swiss army knives that above all aim for quantity of systems supported. Although, I suppose it's only a matter of time until we see very accurate FPGA clones that can handle multiple systems out of one box too, like what's being done with the Analogue NT mini unofficial firmware. Hell, we might even see the Neo Geo done this way some day. Properly deliver on the failed promise of the Neo Geo X.