Thread: Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Life is an Illusion
    The Magic is Down My Pants.

Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

I dont know if this will interest anybody but this new retron looking system that isnt even out yet supports neo geo cd games physical discs.

System itself
    http://polymega.com/

System running neo geo cd games with speed comparison.
    http://polymega.com/2017/06/12/new-i...cd-experience/

For Shockboxes inserts and printing...
    http://southtown-homebrew.com/
    http://classic-shock.1emu.net/
    http://www.legeekretrogaming.com/geekblog/?page_id=87
    Big Bears site is down 4 now. <-creator of shockbox.
    Please do not steal or illegally sell Razoola's Universe Bios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopz
    We're all like a bunch of sad kids, eyeing the gates of the Wonka factory, hoping they'll crank out just one more chocolate bar.

Calvin & Hobbes

That's nice...

However... I am unsure if it's really gonna make that much of an impact.

...The NGCD titles don't account for the entire NG library... coupled with the fact that the Neosd is available for all the NG library (barring the NG.dev, some developer homebrews, protos and some variants...)... then I'd suspect that the market for this is not going to be awesome large...

xROTx

PS. If it's true... cool device tho

Old Man

it's a nice looking system... the modular design reminds of LaserActive

Not for me though. I'm stictly OG when it comes to retro gaming.
    Bonuskun - "Please young man. You telling me to shut up on an internet forum is about going to have the same effect of trying to tell Tarma that Metal Slug 4 was the best Neo Game ever.

Not going to happen."

Argentina'94 - "Gotta admit, that was the best coffee and cigarette I ever enjoyed with someone who wasn't in front of me. We MUST do this again!"

Peanutbutterjammatime

Who?

It looks slick and clean.

However, I'd like to see a proper "module" for the NGCD. Play Neo without the proper DB15 Sticks feels weird.

Mai's Bosom Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Atro View Post
    It looks slick and clean.
    ...and cold plus boring. But the comparison vid is stunning. Makes you imagine how popular the NGCD would've been with such short loading times. That and proper DB15 sticks, of course ;).

Geese's Thug

When you start going down the route of non original hardware, I really don't see the point of not just using emulation. I realise of course that it's the same 50/50 balance in reverse of using an AES/MVS with a Neo SD, but just not for me.
    Last edited by SNK_Pro; 06-13-2017 at 07:34 AM.

NEST Puppet

Polymega vs Neo CD

https://youtu.be/3IccQcMmQhg

Here's a video of the Polymega running Neo Geo CD for anyone interested, I'm guessing its Android based? Definitely improves the load times, but I'm not sure that I'd personally grab one. Also plays Genesis CDs and a few others...

New Challenger

Wow, I see the Polymega formerly known as the Retroblox system is progressing but I want to see actual hardware running I am getting the slight whiff of Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon.

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter

I built my own polymega yesterday. Took me a few hours

AIO Gigabyte 1037u w/ lakka os running retro arch. Going to try to rig up a working USB cd drive this weekend

Cut a custom acrylic case in the next few weeks...make it look nice

but it took no time. Emulator box. Case will be the longest process.

That's why I am leary of the polymega. Expensive mini computer with custom front end and it's almost the cost of a new console??

They're probably working on figuring out how to actually make what they've promised now. If they don't hurry up Mister is going to eat their lunch.
    Whatcha gonna do?

Friend me on Facebook!
    Just stick a pi in there.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Yeah they've been really quiet. Maybe they are revising the tech once again? Lost interest when they ditched fpga.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
    Just stick a pi in there.
    Well the original idea is that this was going to be much better than that. I bet the finished product will just be some low end PC on a chip running Retroarch that just happens to be able to take real carts and CDs.
    Whatcha gonna do?

NEST Puppet

Was a pointless idea anyway. I never get why people even buy Neo Geo CD's these days. It made sense at the time as a cheap way into Neo Geo. Now just go the MVS route if you want original hardware and don't have much money. Neo Geo is arcade hardware. Loading times just spoil that. For me even the 'enhanced' CD soundtracks spoil the arcade-ness of the system. Super-produced CD quality music just doesn't fit with a 16bit-style arcade game.

NG.com Tattoo Artist.

Well it hasn’t shipped yet. 600k preorders though so not horrid. However no promotion at all lately seems odd. I like the fpga idea a lot. Wish they went all fpga with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesagwa View Post
    If a middle aged woman shitting on a glass coffee table shocks you, let me welcome you to the internet as you must be new here.

AES Price Guide Analyst
    International Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Missile View Post
    Was a pointless idea anyway. I never get why people even buy Neo Geo CD's these days. It made sense at the time as a cheap way into Neo Geo. Now just go the MVS route if you want original hardware and don't have much money. Neo Geo is arcade hardware. Loading times just spoil that. For me even the 'enhanced' CD soundtracks spoil the arcade-ness of the system. Super-produced CD quality music just doesn't fit with a 16bit-style arcade game.
    truer words were never spoken.

Super-produced CD quality music just doesn't fit with a 16bit-style arcade game.
    Right??? I mean Rondo of Blood is SUCH a shitty game because of its ridiculously incredible soundtrack.

Sounds like you didn't have a CD system back in the day. These days I tend to agree with you, to the extent that I now prefer the music produced on-board. However, back in the 90's CD soundtracks in games were glorious.

They call him "Mr. Windy". wataru330's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Well the original idea is that this was going to be much better than that. I bet the finished product will just be some low end PC on a chip running Retroarch that just happens to be able to take real carts and CDs.

This.

Iíve already been able to play neo/PCE/sega cds in my modded xbox for over a decade.

Polyyawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Peart View Post
    Innocence gave me confidence, to go up against reality...

Analog_Delivery_System=*when you absolutely, positively,
    must rock every person in the room*

"I don't think your kids should see us playing Joust in this parking lot..."
    -300wins

That's okay, I'll keep the Best Neo Geo to myself.
    Whatcha gonna do?

MAX POWA SURGE!

I just bought a pretty powerful gaming laptop and will be going the exact same route. Feel pretty stupid for not having gone this route years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    fuck this gay earth

-starks out

Thread Information