Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
An FPGA solution that offers compatibility with Saturn, Playstation, Neo CD, TG16/PCEngine, Genesis, Sega CD, NES and SNES would be insanely expensive. Sure, it's theoretically possible, but would it be worth the extra cost versus something that emulates extremely well? Not to me.

wtf are you talking about? that was their original intention, a modular FPGA solution for all those systems. if you just want something that emulates well and if price is an issue you shouldn't be even looking at this.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
wtf are you talking about? that was their original intention, a modular FPGA solution for all those systems. if you just want something that emulates well and if price is an issue you shouldn't be even looking at this.

They abandoned that plan way back and added Saturn support; that was what pushed me over the edge (the Saturn support; not abandoning FPGA. Anyway, their solution obviously isn't for everyone, and time will tell if the emulation lives up to the hype generated at E3.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...time will tell if the emulation lives up to the hype generated at E3.

The dream of a perfect emulation in every way, one that eliminates latencies of current monitors or allows to upscale games in order to feed those monitors with their native resolution only. Everything without having to tweak settings in complicated menus. Seems to remain just a dream, but yeah, time will tell.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
The dream of a perfect emulation in every way, one that eliminates latencies of current monitors or allows to upscale games in order to feed those monitors with their native resolution only. Everything without having to tweak settings in complicated menus. Seems to remain just a dream, but yeah, time will tell.

This already exists, its called MiSTer FPGA, and its growing every day with new cores being added frequently, (an FPGA Neo Geo core to be released within the next couple of months hopefully). And with run-ahead mode in Retroarch you can eliminate input lag to even make it better than the real thing.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Right, now that you mention it, there was already a discussion here on that topic. Thanks for the reminder, L_R.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
FPGA is the future, so Polymega is old hat before even being born. Sad. And even worse than the lack of FPGA is the lack of Everdrive support IMO. Like I'm going to buy 2,000 Genesis games from them. They don't allow copying roms over. On an emulator!

What's the total number of games on Hyperspin on a PC across all the platforms? 100,000? Now that's emulation :-) If you want a svelte box to run it in, get a miniPC.

Despite all this, I'll still probably buy one!

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
It isn't a system designed to play 'DA ROMZ'; it's designed for people who have been in the hobby for a while and have amassed collections of original games. I have a PC I can use to play ROMs, if I so choose.

I have a bunch of original consoles as well, but I don't currently have the means (or space) to have them all connected at once. I was planning to buy an OSSC, a bunch of SCART cables, and a SCART switch. For about the same cost, this takes up FAR less space, prevents wear-and-tear on my consoles (or games), has really cool visual filters, and (supposedly) allows patching of games (so Japanese-only titles could be played in English, for instance). This all assumes the emulation is excellent, which is yet to be proven.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It isn't a system designed to play 'DA ROMZ'; it's designed for people who have been in the hobby for a while and have amassed collections of original games. I have a PC I can use to play ROMs, if I so choose.

I have a bunch of original consoles as well, but I don't currently have the means (or space) to have them all connected at once. I was planning to buy an OSSC, a bunch of SCART cables, and a SCART switch. For about the same cost, this takes up FAR less space, prevents wear-and-tear on my consoles (or games), has really cool visual filters, and (supposedly) allows patching of games (so Japanese-only titles could be played in English, for instance). This all assumes the emulation is excellent, which is yet to be proven.

Yea Ok , but you are playing your original collected games on the Polymega that emulates like romz on a pc. So what's the point?

At least FPGA is much more accurate.

And please spare me the space saving bs. If you have room to collect a shitload of games, you have the room to get a proper ossc or CRT setup.

Just say you want to buy this thing because you like the hobby and like buying shit like this. Please stop making excuses for this all in one glorified rom box.

Last edited:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
And please spare me the space saving bs. If you have room to collect a shitload of games, you have the room to get a proper ossc or CRT setup.

Storage space differs from a usable place to play games, at least in my house.

Just say you want to buy this thing because you like the hobby and like buying shit like this. Please stop making excuses for this all in one glorified rom box.

True, most 'expensive' purchases tend to be based on emotion and not logic. I wouldn't consider $299 overly expensive, but I'm also getting the Genesis/MD module, which adds to the price.

I've also always wanted to start a PCEngine collection, but having to buy all the hardware has held me back; this might push me over the edge.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Storage space differs from a usable place to play games, at least in my house.

True, most 'expensive' purchases tend to be based on emotion and not logic. I wouldn't consider $299 overly expensive, but I'm also getting the Genesis/MD module, which adds to the price.

I've also always wanted to start a PCEngine collection, but having to buy all the hardware has held me back; this might push me over the edge.

I don't have a space issue but actually prefer to not see a bunch of consoles hooked up at the same time. Too many wires, clutter, and I hate looking at that. I just hook up one console at a time. Keep the consoles stored on a shelf or in a closet, leave a scart switch and power strip secured to my entertainment unit, leave my scart cables labeled inside a drawer, power adapters inside another drawer.

Everytime I feel like playing something it takes under a minute to setup and play. Just throwing that out there. At least you get to enjoy your games without sacrificing quality .

I would never start buying original games to play on a rom box. That's just me. I sold most of my original games but kept most of my hardware to still be able to run games correctly. The way they were meant to be played. It's funny that people care more about collecting then accuracy. If you're going to start buying/collecting for old expensive consoles, buy the original hardware to go with it or wait for a FPGA solution. If you're thinking about buying games for the PCE. Pick up a rgb modded duo-r.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I don't have a space issue but actually prefer to not see a bunch of consoles hooked up at the same time. Too many wires, clutter, and I hate looking at that. I just hook up one console at a time. Keep the consoles stored on a shelf or in a closet, leave a scart switch and power strip secured to my entertainment unit, leave my scart cables labeled inside a drawer, power adapters inside another drawer.

Everytime I feel like playing something it takes under a minute to setup and play. Just throwing that out there.

I would be much less likely to play if I had to pull my consoles out of storage and hook them up, plus then I would be causing wear on the connections with all of the connecting and disconnecting. I'm fairly obsessive about my consoles. ;)

I would never start buying original games to play on a rom box. That's just me. I sold most of my original games but kept most of my hardware to still be able to run games correctly. The way they were meant to be played. It's funny that people care more about collecting then accuracy. If you're going to start buying/collecting for old expensive consoles, buy the original hardware to go with it or wait for a FPGA solution. If you're thinking about buying games for the PCE. Pick up a rgb modded duo-r.

I'm almost the opposite; I have almost all of my original games (and consoles, for that matter), but I enjoy owning the original games, and knowing that I can play them if I so desire. For instance, I find it much more convenient playing Raiden Fighters Aces on Xbox 360 than pulling out my PCBs to play the games, however, I have no intention of getting rid of the PCBs now that I have another means of playing. I also don't plan on selling my Saturn copy of Battle Garegga (I don't own the PCB, sadly), despite the fact that I prefer the M2 version on Xbox One due to all of the extra settings. When I was actively into emulation, I had MAME set up with only the games for which I actually owned the PCB, despite having a full ROM set (not that I didn't play some of the other games, on occasion ;)). I realize it isn't practical, but then videogames themselves aren't practical.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
RAZO, good to hear someone else does one console at a time. Those setups with 8 or more consoles all sitting out on a switcher make no sense, especially when some of those consoles may not get played more than once a year. There's no way I'd ever have enough time to fire them all up often enough to justify keeping them plugged in. Hooking the console up is part of the ritual of deciding to play it.

Bishamon, it's just a matter of keeping things organized. I have dedicated drawers or cabinets for each console, with the AV, power cables and controllers sitting at the ready. It takes less than a minute to hook a console up if you have the space next to the TV open and the console stored nearby. I realize the need to reduce the barrier for playing, but there are practical reasons to not have everything connected.

Then again, I do understand how some people like having all their consoles on display. I've seen photos of some very cool looking setups. I just don't have the space or desire to do that.

Those setups with 8 or more consoles all sitting out on a switcher make no sense, especially when some of those consoles may not get played more than once a year. There's no way I'd ever have enough time to fire them all up often enough to justify keeping them plugged in. Hooking the console up is part of the ritual of deciding to play it.

I have all my systems hooked up (NES, SNES, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, 3DO, PlayStation, PS2, PS3, PS4, XBOX, XBOX 360). With how indecisive and impulsive I am, I can't imagine having to take out and hook up a system when I want to play a game. It also makes me feel warm inside to know I can boot up any of them at any time.

And can anyone explain to me why the NES controller for this system looks retarded with the a / b buttons as out of place as they could possibly be?

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I was under the impression that FPGA was still a thing on the modules? Just not the CD based main console part?

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I was under the impression that FPGA was still a thing on the modules? Just not the CD based main console part?

Nope, no FPGA in any of the modules currently. They say that they might do an enhanced Famicom module with FPGA later on if sales are high enough.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They changed that tune right before they started taking actual money. Turns out fpga is hard and emulation is a lot easier!

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Pre-order open on Amazon (FR) and WWD for Europe or Walmart (USA)

The price... :annoyed:
And no support for NEOGEO cartridges (just for the fun), that's too bad.

Release date: aprox end of october.

07/06/2020 is probably a mistake from Walmart.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
FPGA is the future, so Polymega is old hat before even being born. Sad. And even worse than the lack of FPGA is the lack of Everdrive support IMO. Like I'm going to buy 2,000 Genesis games from them. They don't allow copying roms over. On an emulator!

What's the total number of games on Hyperspin on a PC across all the platforms? 100,000? Now that's emulation :-) If you want a svelte box to run it in, get a miniPC.

Despite all this, I'll still probably buy one!

Lack of everdrive support = #1 red flag for an emulation shitbox masquerading as a compatible console. No shit it runs Neo CD games in 60x, so does my 2001 PC.
People are kinda stupid, why would you buy an emulator that accepts no ROMZORS, only specifically supported cartridges out of an overpriced "module"? It's just another impulse purchase for collectards and paid shills that pretend they're all about it on their youtube channels. Just skip this stupid module middleman that can't even handle games out of their internal database, and buy a mister.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Lack of everdrive support = #1 red flag for an emulation shitbox masquerading as a compatible console. No shit it runs Neo CD games in 60x, so does my 2001 PC.
People are kinda stupid, why would you buy an emulator that accepts no ROMZORS, only specifically supported cartridges out of an overpriced "module"? It's just another impulse purchase for collectards and paid shills that pretend they're all about it on their youtube channels. Just skip this stupid module middleman that can't even handle games out of their internal database, and buy a mister.

Hey, don't knock it just yet. These Polymega dudes are shooting Neo CD prices through the roof and I might cash out.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Isn't this the opposite of what's most desirable in retrogaming? Instead of turning free roms into original games, it takes expensive original games and makes them play like free roms. Kinda like a reverse philosopher's stone...

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Hey, don't knock it just yet. These Polymega dudes are shooting Neo CD prices through the roof and I might cash out.

I noticed this the other day, The price of NGCD games is defo on the rise atm.