Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

I own many retro systems including a PC Engine Duo, and have a setup using a Framemeister. Yet, I am looking forward for the PolyMega (I liked the name Retroblox much better though). Having everything stacked neatly within one system, HDMI and fast loading for CD consoles is great. Obviously accurate emulation is make or break, so if systems run spot on and as advertised, I'm getting one. I understand that old consoles are not built to last forever, so having something like this available is great. I know there are many other similar options out there, but from what I read they are far from perfect.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I understand that old consoles are not built to last forever, so having something like this available is great.

So are all those PolyMegas. The old consoles are getting or surpassing their thirties, I doubt those new bloxes ever will.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Sounds like they're using a Rockchip RK3288 ARM SOC running Linux. Not sure where an FPGA comes in - not seeing anything definitive from them saying that they use anything besides the SOC.

IMG_1511.PNG

NeoLucian

New Challenger
its not FPGA then by the looks of it, its more like an android box

I think its using the same chip as the Open Hour Chameleon (which was released about 3 years ago so its not new tech) - see here: https://www.cloudmedia.com/?product=chameleon

and the biggest problem that they had with the Chameleon was the lack of support from Rockchip when trying to do anything low level, when they asked for help Rockchip basically ignored them and the box never got the full support or features that were promised

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Polymega is a FPGA solution.
Their FAQ specifically says "hybrid emulation" and does not specify fpga.
Right, it's hybrid because there is additional software on top of the FPGA implementations of the systems.
Sounds like they're using a Rockchip RK3288 ARM SOC running Linux.
I don't think it is actually FPGA.
its not FPGA then by the looks of it, its more like an android box. I think its using the same chip as the Open Hour Chameleon
EG7bQ.gif

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
So I was right, emulator box with an off the shelf SoC...but rewritten emulators? Because all the computer based emulators are so bad. I mean make us oractically unusable...(sarcasm)

It's a cheap computer in a fancy case with some controller adapters. I'll give them all the credit in the world, nice design work but I'll hard pass in this

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
You can get a mini computer with the RK3288 for $35 bucks. Load retropie front end and you are half way to the polymega. Just need a cd drive and a fancy case. Hell im sure someone could rig up a working USB cd rom drive and controller adapters

Last edited:

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I bet buying the whole set of modules will be a fortune. Just another thing cheap ass emulator thrown together and sold for a shit ton. This thread needs a poll: "Will the Polymega actually be released?"

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I bet buying the whole set of modules will be a fortune. Just another thing cheap ass emulator thrown together and sold for a shit ton. This thread needs a poll: "Will the Polymega actually be released?"

Exactly. It'll be 80%+ the cost of buying original hardware

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
The way I look at it, the same people who bought the retron5 will be the same people who buy this. As a concept it sounds interesting and cool, but purists will purists and collectards will be collectards.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
The way I look at it, the same people who bought the retron5 will be the same people who buy this. As a concept it sounds interesting and cool, but purists will purists and collectards will be collectards.

I feel like it's being showed off as an Analogue NT style of product (despite not being FPGA) and I bet the price will reflect that.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I feel like it's being showed off as an Analogue NT style of product (despite not being FPGA) and I bet the price will reflect that.

But w/o fpga it's only like the analogue in its physical design. Stylish but internally it's built on off the shelf (old off the shelf. The SoC was released in 2015) parts to run emulation.

I want to like the idea but I just foresee another crap emulation box incoming. Or a lot of people putting money in for a pre-order that never arrives. Everything they are showing looks to be renders, not tangible objects you could hold

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I mean don't get me wrong, every game I own that can be emulated is setup on a specific external drive that launches into a front end on my living room pc for "lazy" moments or for increased performance. (Dolphin) Its especially handy when friends come over. But I still own all original hardware and a framemeister for my own gaming.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
If this is just another emulation setup, unless you just have to run CDs, you'll get fare more mileage out of a retrofreak. It may look probably more bland than this one on the outside, but if you don't need the controller port addon module or the entire large part of it with the cart slots, it's just a small flash kit/computer combo android box you can pocket to play a crap ton of stolen ROMs with which the R5 cockblocked out of the box.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
But w/o fpga it's only like the analogue in its physical design. Stylish but internally it's built on off the shelf (old off the shelf. The SoC was released in 2015) parts to run emulation.

I want to like the idea but I just foresee another crap emulation box incoming. Or a lot of people putting money in for a pre-order that never arrives. Everything they are showing looks to be renders, not tangible objects you could hold

I feel like there are 2 markets with this kind of stuff. There's the I don't give a fuck about accurate emulation and just want something that plays old games (Retron 5), and people wanting accurate emulation (Retro AVS and Analogue NT). I feel like neither crowd will be satisfied with this and the price point will be ridiculous. It looks like this system is trying to reel people in with sleek design but crap under the hood. Like you mentioned with it just being renders, I wonder what the real thing will actually look like (if it makes it that far).

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I feel like there are 2 markets with this kind of stuff. There's the I don't give a fuck about accurate emulation and just want something that plays old games (Retron 5), and people wanting accurate emulation (Retro AVS and Analogue NT). I feel like neither crowd will be satisfied with this and the price point will be ridiculous. It looks like this system is trying to reel people in with sleek design but crap under the hood. Like you mentioned with it just being renders, I wonder what the real thing will actually look like (if it makes it that far).

I get the distinct impression that if this even does release, itll be way past estimated ship date and will be a let down

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
I get the distinct impression that if this even does release, itll be way past estimated ship date and will be a let down

Considering the resent massive NOTHING that was the Chameleon and the string of utterly pointless emu boxes and then some, I'm going to just sit down and wait for the reviews on this one.

The rest is just a massive bunch of "ifs" and "buts" not really worth anything because, like awbacon said, the machine may be released past estimated ship date anyway and be a complete failure.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Considering the resent massive NOTHING that was the Chameleon and the string of utterly pointless emu boxes and then some, I'm going to just sit down and wait for the reviews on this one.

The rest is just a massive bunch of "ifs" and "buts" not really worth anything because, like awbacon said, the machine may be released past estimated ship date anyway and be a complete failure.

I used to work in manufacturing, specifically sunglasses and goggles. We had factories in Italy and china. I cannot tell you how much it takes to get a product from concept to manufacturing to shipping. The company I worked for (burton snowboards) was huge and experienced in getting products launched, and even then it was always a face to finish.

I feel like these small companies always underestimate the actual process of scaling up a product to get it to ship. Making ten prototypes is easy. Making 100k units is hard.

The tool and die alone for plastic molding can cost you $50-100,000 alone. Then you get into sea container freight and import paperwork. It's a fucking minefield!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Basically while most of these products are launched wiTh the best of intentions, w/o a large backing company with the experience in large scale manufacturing, shipping on target date is almost impossible.

I mean pretty much every delayed kickstarter tells the same story..."manufacturing issues"

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Looks better than the retron 5. I'll wait for reviews in a few years. I would like something like this to play on an hd tv but nothing released so far really seems to do a good job of it.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic

I liked the idea behind the Retron 5 (an all-in-one console with HDMI that can use original controllers), but the execution and support downright sucked. The absolute failure of the Retron 5 is what made me buy a XRGB Mini and a bunch of Everdrives.

That said...there's just something about the allure of some of the Polymega's promises for CD-based systems. We shall see, though, if it ever comes out.