Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Looks nicer than the retron 5 but I assume it will violate GPL and other licenses lmao.

This is very likely, but, honestly, we should give them the benefit of doubt.
Anyway here in Italy we use to say something like “if you think badly about someone, you commit a sin, but you’re right very often”.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yup. Got to play with the prototype. Definitely getting one.
2dc1e289a234e0c538b84679d8e25d0d.jpg

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So what's the latest news on this? I checked this afternoon and it looks like their site had crashed.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
They are saying a DDOS attack took them out but I think they weren't prepared for the amount of traffic.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Has anyone pointed out that they are clearly using the arcade version of SEGA Rally when demonstrating Saturn functionality?

Some Mike Kennedy shit

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
This system seems to good to be true. I can't see them running some of the CD stuff like Saturn without running into some sort of issues whether it's sound , speed, graphics. Maybe with FPGA I could see this being possible but just hardware and emulation.

They have been trying for years to perfect Saturn Emulation on the PC and it's still not perfect because of the hardware architecture. Maybe I could be wrong. The idea of having almost all your favorite consoles in one spot and playing in high definition is really cool though.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm going to pass on the Pre-Order and check reviews first.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Looks really nice, but emulation lag sucks balls - regardless how beautiful the hardware is. Plus, the bundle with everything is $600

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yeah, I'm thinking the same. Looks really nice, but emulation lag sucks balls - regardless how beautiful the hardware is. Plus, the bundle with everything is $600

$600?! Hadn't even seen the pricing and packages. Holy crap...

Yeah, going to wait for reviews first. (Not that you can order it anyway, what with their constant site crashes.)

famicommander

15 Year Member
I can review it right now: just emulate on a fucking PC for free you tards

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
This will probably end up like all the other clone consoles. Will be complete shit for like 5-10 years, then eventually be "almost viable".

There is always that one game that doesn't work, that is a must play, that has some sort of issue. Then you will need a real console anyway.

Like for Saturn, one of the Panzer Dragoons will be unplayable, or Shining Games, or a good SHMUP. So you will buy this thing, then a Saturn anyway.

It does look nice though. I am keeping my eye on things.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Latest rumors are about an Intel Pentium Gold G5500T Processor based box, instead of the Rockchip RK3288 I mentioned previously... time will tell.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Are we sure it's not a Super Nintendo or an old PC capture card in there?

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Nice launch day(s). Using Wordpress with cheap hosting…

I have see 53$ for one module and 599$ for ultimate bundle (contain only 4 modules + dock).
if you want later NG-CD, Saturn, PS1... 53 +53 +53 + + + + +
Buy little Intel NUC or similar it's really best choice.

It was a good idea, but Polymega look like noob company.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I'm interested to see how long it takes them to actually get their site back up and running. Not a good look so far. Doesn't give much confidence in throwing 600 bucks their way. Then again . . . Metal Jesus Rocks is very excited, so you should be too :keke:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I can't imagine how this is not a clusterf on every level.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I can't imagine how this is not a clusterf on every level.

I think if their servers could handle the launch [or they weren't attacked] this could've been a very successful campaign. It seems like the interest was definitely there. But, I imagine with each passing day it's plummeting.

edit: Yikes! Just read the FAQ:

"What are Polymega™ Rewards? Is this Crowdfunding?

With an extensible platform such as Polymega™, it was important for us to prioritize the features and functionality that the system ships with by default vs. the wishlist features that many who have followed the systems development have requested over time. To help us gauge the interest in functionality relative to the effort and cost involved to our team, we’ve created a rewards system, similar to crowdfunding stretch goals, that will unlock bonus features, commitment to delivery of new hardware, new CD system compatibility, and more based on the overall success of the Polymega™ pre-order campaign. There are 20 levels attainable, and some of the most coveted and requested systems that are not currently supported by Polymega™ are available as rewards.

There is also a minimum initial goal in place to ensure that additional reward tiers are only unlocked once the platform has met certain basic funding criteria to delivery the core experience.

What happens if the initial goal is not met?

If the $500,000 USD initial goal is not met within 35 days time, we will immediately refund all pre-orders and halt additional sales of Polymega™ until we can assess a reason for the lack of interest in the pre-order campaign, and attempt to correct it."

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Sounds like they licensed a PC Saturn emulator from a developer. Also, no more FPGA in the launch modules.

Photo Sep 06, 12 00 41 PM.pngPhoto Sep 06, 11 43 56 AM.jpg

famicommander

15 Year Member
According to their own FAQ they don't even have Saturn done - but plan to do it if their sales goals are met.

"if enough people buy it we might add features we used to advertise it in the first fucking place"

Tech&Music

Another Striker
That's just hilarious. Hype up that you're going the FPGA route, which is far superior in accuracy to most software emulation if done right, then just cancel that idea and essentially make it an Atari VCS-like Linux PC with the claim that FPGA based modules will come from non-existent third party devs. The little reason that gave this thing any shred of right to exist, has effectively been null and void. I don't think it will necessarily be vaporware, it will just be another commercial emulation PC, except with the novelty that you can play physical games on it... at a hefty price as compared to just running an emulator on a decently spec'd (HT)PC with teh ROMz.