Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
They put out an statement on updated specs and features. The previous Rockchip ARM SOC is out in favor of an Intel x86 (makes sense for Saturn emulation). They plan on putting out a Virtual Console downloadable service next year. Support for any third-party, unlicensed items like multicarts and Everdrives is now iffy. Super GameBoy on SNES is out as well.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...o_system_includes_a_virtual_console_successor

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Sounds like they licensed a PC Saturn emulator from a developer. Also, no more FPGA in the launch modules.
I read it should be Mednafen author. Which could make sense since he could make a deal for a custom license of his own cores (not based on other emus): PSX, Saturn and maybe PC-FX, TurboGrafx and VirtualBoy (they use some external code).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mednafen

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I don't know how anyone would be comfortable throwing any money at this thing at this point. It's starting to sound like we have the true successor of the Coleco Chameleon/RetroVGS. This one will might actually come out though. I'm sure no matter what happens it will be a big disappointment.

Tech&Music

Another Striker
I read it should be Mednafen author. Which could make sense since he could make a deal for a custom license of his own cores (not based on other emus): PSX, Saturn and maybe PC-FX, TurboGrafx and VirtualBoy (they use some external code).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mednafen

The Mednafen Saturn emulator is extremely CPU intensive, according to the Mednafen site. They recommended a Haswell or newer generation quad core Intel processor of 3GHz or higher. I know it's been a few years and the bottom range of CPUs has developed a bit, but I don't think the dual core Pentium in the Polymega will fully cut the mustard for full-speed, lag-free emulation of more intensive (3D) Saturn games.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I know it's been a few years and the bottom range of CPUs has developed a bit, but I don't think the dual core Pentium in the Polymega will fully cut the mustard for full-speed, lag-free emulation of more intensive (3D) Saturn games.

Oh, but it's okay because now Polymega says that only hardcore people care about full speed, lag free emulation anyway. They're doing a remarkable job pissing everyone off on their FB page.

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 5.09.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 5.09.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 5.07.12 PM.png

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Everyone already has a Polymega, it is called your computer.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
With the news of Polymega moving the fpga from the base unit to the modules, I have a feeling they never had any of that working. All the footage of them running snes, genesis, and pc engine carts were probably faked.

Their pc engine module was stupid anyways with the hu card sticking so far out.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Everyone already has a Polymega, it is called your computer.

Yup. For the cost of this console and all the modules, you could easily build a dedicated rom box, and buy a license for Launchbox. Hell, maybe even an ITX box with a solid state drive, and one of those ultimarc graphics cards.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I like how Nintendo life starts the article with

"There are things we definitely could have done better."

Way to be dicks guys.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This product is looking worse and worse.

It was always going to be bad because they're trying to sell you a fancy 'modular' PC. A decent fucking laptop does everything it was ever going to do and they've been out for years!

This shit isn't even worth following and the drama is equally boring also.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Style over substance. THE most intriguing thing imho was their supposed fpga approach(es). Now it's basically just a regular emulation box, with bolt on cartridge/cd adapters with maybe one or 2 fpga platforms?
... I guess they're still undercutting the analogue super NT thing so you could claim there's a gap here between what a pii/retron does vs analogue's various products... and they'll want to fill that void before someone else does.

But the whole shrugging off of accuracy + lag issues just shoots them in the foot imho... and I'd certainly wait for a physical end product before judging what appears to be some nice quality box and controller renders.

Shame.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Their story is that they "don't cater to purists, hard-core retro fans". Don't know if that was their intent from the beginning.
I don't think that those with only a mild interest in retro-gaming will spend that much money. Which begs the question "Who the hell is this for"?
I was mildly interested in this thing, but no way in hell will I be picking up this garbage.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Is this project now dead in the water? Seems like it, they've been far too quiet!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
They would've been better off with a big fpga running cores of whatever is available with headroom in the power of the fpga in mind.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Is this project now dead in the water? Seems like it, they've been far too quiet!

They got over $600K in preorders but other than tweeting out an NES game contest a few weeks back they have been quiet.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They're probably working on figuring out how to actually make what they've promised now. If they don't hurry up Mister is going to eat their lunch.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Yeah they've been really quiet. Maybe they are revising the tech once again? Lost interest when they ditched fpga.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just stick a pi in there.

Well the original idea is that this was going to be much better than that. I bet the finished product will just be some low end PC on a chip running Retroarch that just happens to be able to take real carts and CDs.

Missile

Another Striker
Was a pointless idea anyway. I never get why people even buy Neo Geo CD's these days. It made sense at the time as a cheap way into Neo Geo. Now just go the MVS route if you want original hardware and don't have much money. Neo Geo is arcade hardware. Loading times just spoil that. For me even the 'enhanced' CD soundtracks spoil the arcade-ness of the system. Super-produced CD quality music just doesn't fit with a 16bit-style arcade game.