Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

Life is an Illusion
    The Magic is Down My Pants.

Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

I dont know if this will interest anybody but this new retron looking system that isnt even out yet supports neo geo cd games physical discs.

System itself
    http://polymega.com/

System running neo geo cd games with speed comparison.
    http://polymega.com/2017/06/12/new-i...cd-experience/

For Shockboxes inserts and printing...
    http://southtown-homebrew.com/
    http://classic-shock.1emu.net/
    http://www.legeekretrogaming.com/geekblog/?page_id=87
    Big Bears site is down 4 now. <-creator of shockbox.
    Please do not steal or illegally sell Razoola's Universe Bios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopz
    We're all like a bunch of sad kids, eyeing the gates of the Wonka factory, hoping they'll crank out just one more chocolate bar.

Calvin & Hobbes

That's nice...

However... I am unsure if it's really gonna make that much of an impact.

...The NGCD titles don't account for the entire NG library... coupled with the fact that the Neosd is available for all the NG library (barring the NG.dev, some developer homebrews, protos and some variants...)... then I'd suspect that the market for this is not going to be awesome large...

xROTx

PS. If it's true... cool device tho

Old Man

it's a nice looking system... the modular design reminds of LaserActive

Not for me though. I'm stictly OG when it comes to retro gaming.
    Bonuskun - "Please young man. You telling me to shut up on an internet forum is about going to have the same effect of trying to tell Tarma that Metal Slug 4 was the best Neo Game ever.

Not going to happen."

Argentina'94 - "Gotta admit, that was the best coffee and cigarette I ever enjoyed with someone who wasn't in front of me. We MUST do this again!"

Peanutbutterjammatime

Who?

It looks slick and clean.

However, I'd like to see a proper "module" for the NGCD. Play Neo without the proper DB15 Sticks feels weird.

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by Atro View Post
    It looks slick and clean.
    ...and cold plus boring. But the comparison vid is stunning. Makes you imagine how popular the NGCD would've been with such short loading times. That and proper DB15 sticks, of course ;).

Geese's Thug

When you start going down the route of non original hardware, I really don't see the point of not just using emulation. I realise of course that it's the same 50/50 balance in reverse of using an AES/MVS with a Neo SD, but just not for me.
    Last edited by SNK_Pro; 06-13-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

Another emulation box. Woo!
    >

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Another emulation box. Woo!
    But it's modular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    Xorthen was on my case for a few days via PM (and then some) offering to pay me $20 just to talk on the phone with me for an hour, but he chickened out or something and then decided to be an asshole in public towards me

Cheng's Errand Boy

It's still vaporware as far as I'm concerned, and I'll treat it like the coleco chameleon until it actually comes out
    Last edited by PigInTheMud; 06-13-2017 at 02:45 PM.

On its face, its a neat feature. Its good for people that absolutely insist on playing authenticly produced games, and also good for folks that want to play the many classic Neo titles with the extra features, notably the arranged soundtracks.

Sho's Rival

I'd hope to hell in 2017 loading would be improved

Still, original hardware or nothing. I'm cool with reengineered hardware, fpga stuff, but these "x in 1" consoles are always a bit shit

Mature's Make-Up Artist

Any product that needs to start off its introduction with "Meet <product name here>, the worlds...." is guaranteed to be shit.

Yeah, I really don't get the excitement over playing real games on fake hardware.

Sho's Rival

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Yeah, I really don't get the excitement over playing real games on fake hardware.
    the Retron stuff is the worst. Lets jam some unlicensed emulators onto a SoC and sell it for crazy markups. Who cares if the gameplay is off and the audio is jacked

JukeBox Hero!

Same thing I always say in these topics: If you're going to emulate, do it on PC. It's better and free. If you're going to buy something, you might as well buy the real thing.

Critical Damage!

Chad on 2017-06-13 at 9:06 AM
    Will this work with CD-R’s?
    Rare PROTO HUNTER; Looking For: Jak and Daxter, New Zealand Story (original build only), Ratchet and Clank 2, Tak and the Power of the JuJu

Paying 4 figures + for any of the above.

Found in 2017: Recalhorn, Dr. Yam Yam, Sunday Fundy

Mickey's Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    100% this. Real hardware with a real controller feels right to me, even if it is an Everdrive or similar solution.

What benefit do you get from a real game on fake hardware? The joy of putting the disk in?

Sho's Rival

ten bucks says that for the cost of the system and all their modules, you could buy the damn systems themselves with an upscaler. Nes/she's/genesis are all cheap. Even sega cd. Only expensive ones in the whole idea are turbo/pc engine and cd

Another Striker

Why is everyone calling this fake hardware? It's an FPGA solution. I would consider this system, with the fpga, to be at parity with the real hardware. I think of FPGA systems as if it was the same as the real system, but just add another manufacturer to builders of the console. So in the case of Genesis/MegaDrive there were a number of manufacturers back in the day (I think hitachi, samsung, TecToy, etc.) Now there is an additional manufacturer that makes genesis hardware; These Polymega guys.

For those saying why not just get a PC to emulate - a) Polymega is a FPGA solution. b) consider that not everyone has a PC in their living room, nor would they ever want one in there. I thought we knew this already?

Also, Polymega also plays SEGA/MEGA CD ROM, as well as Turbo/PC engine CD ROM, in addition to the NG-CDROM. As far as I know there are no other set-top FPGA solutions that play CD images. The only other way to play these on real hardware would be difficult, and not as nice as this (HDMI, menu, save-states, fast-load) as many of these old systems are broken, or will break. Polymega is a new solution with a fresh out-the-bag smell guys.

If they deliver I'm getting one for sure to play CD ROM systems.

Friend Code: SW-7571-0934-8991

Another Striker

Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    ten bucks says that for the cost of the system and all their modules, you could buy the damn systems themselves with an upscaler. Nes/she's/genesis are all cheap. Even sega cd. Only expensive ones in the whole idea are turbo/pc engine and cd
    Please show me some of these systems for cheap. Please point me to a cheap, and working Mega CD and PC Engine CD.

Sho's Rival

Quote Originally Posted by c0nn0r View Post
    Why is everyone calling this fake hardware? It's an FPGA solution. I would consider this system, with the fpga, to be at parity with the real hardware. I think of FPGA systems as if it was the same as the real system, but just add another manufacturer to builders of the console. So in the case of Genesis/MegaDrive there were a number of manufacturers back in the day (I think hitachi, samsung, TecToy, etc.) Now there is an additional manufacturer that makes genesis hardware; These Polymega guys.

For those saying why not just get a PC to emulate - a) Polymega is a FPGA solution. b) consider that not everyone has a PC in their living room, nor would they ever want one in there. I thought we knew this already?

Also, Polymega also plays SEGA/MEGA CD ROM, as well as Turbo/PC engine CD ROM, in addition to the NG-CDROM. As far as I know there are no other set-top FPGA solutions that play CD images. The only other way to play these on real hardware would be difficult, and not as nice as this (HDMI, menu, save-states, fast-load) as many of these old systems are broken, or will break. Polymega is a new solution with a fresh out-the-bag smell guys.

If they deliver I'm getting one for sure to play CD ROM systems.
    Their FAQ specifically says "hybrid emulation" and does not specify fpga.

Add on units are "coming in around $60"...I highly doubt you are getting an FPGA solution, w/ native controller support, for sixty bucks.

$60 to emulate sega cd. $100 if you are patient for a working sega cd. I'll pay the extra coin for real hardware.

You can get nes / snes / genesis for sub $60 if you aren't including controllers. That's not even being patient...that's walking into a retro game store in chicago

Sho's Rival

And you can get a flash cart for genesis for around $60...flash your sega cd bios and you are playing mega cd games. Takes like two minutes tops for me

Sho's Rival

And that's for real hardware

Another Striker

Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    Their FAQ specifically says "hybrid emulation" and does not specify fpga.

Add on units are "coming in around $60"...I highly doubt you are getting an FPGA solution, w/ native controller support, for sixty bucks.

$60 to emulate sega cd. $100 if you are patient for a working sega cd. I'll pay the extra coin for real hardware.

You can get nes / snes / genesis for sub $60 if you aren't including controllers. That's not even being patient...that's walking into a retro game store in chicago
    Right, it's hybrid because there is additional software on top of the FPGA implementations of the systems. There is a software hypervisor that allows save states and all the other modern stuff. If that stuff was implemented in the FPGA on the system images.. well then the systems would not be "original".

The $60 add-ons are for the native controller ports and cartridge slot. There will not be separate FPGA boards inside those add-ons - it's a single FPGA in the core unit that is "flashed" with the configuration of whatever system is selected. Technically they could enable all the systems without the add-on parts, but then you would not get to use original peripherals, and they would not get paid for their work.

Anyways, we'll see if they even launch. I'm excited for it though.

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

I still question it at this point until some real prices are set so you can see what kind of damages you're really looking at. You're right though about the perks of the FPGA with the emulation upper layer for the saves and side stuff as it's a nice touch. One thing I'd really want to know is, how kind and fuzzy would it be towards ROMs (ie: flash kits) and burned games, or would it be a bitch about it like the Retron5 that ignores the stuff. Given how damned expensive TG/PCE CDs are among others it could get deep pocket out of control expensive fast for some fun.

Personally I've been leaning towards getting a retrofreak. Use the real stuff, or snap off most the unit, throw the games (ROMs) on a little memory card and stuff it in that tiny remaining part and go that route. A nice middle of the road thing as it's not a bitchy retron 5, yet not real hardware either, but runs the ROMs like a flash kit would.
    Games, Manga, Transformers (G1), Japanese Robots, and more... http://tanooki.byethost16.com/
    Looking for the above stuff, Neo-Geo MVS, Dreamcast, and Gameboy(any) too.

Thread Information