adam west dead at 88.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
This sucks. Loved the show in syndication as a kid. Got to see him and Burt Ward at a con a few years ago. RIP Mr. West.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Adam West is one of those actors that stayed working well in to old age and i continued to enjoy him in whatever he was in. Obviously he's probably known best by the newer generations for being one of the best characters in Family Guy.

Since i watch that show a lot, I would often find myself thinking that it was only matter of time till i read that he died. The guy was 88 and you could hear the weariness in his voice in the more recent episodes.

Still really sad to read. Coincidentally with Carrie Fisher, that makes 2 Family Guy characters to die within a year.

RIP Mr. West.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
88 sounds good.

Didn't know Seth was responsible for his Johnny Bravo appearance:

Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane wrote several episodes of the cartoon series Johnny Bravo. West played a similarly intense and eccentric rendition of himself in an episode written by MacFarlane, "Johnny Meets Adam West!", first broadcast in December 1997.[5] In the episode, West's fictionalized persona displays similar deluded characteristics to the later Family Guy character, such as believing a race of megalomaniac mole-people live under a local golf course. However, he dressed formally and behaved slightly similarly to his character in the 1960s series of Batman. MacFarlane found West's character and performance in Johnny Bravo so funny that he created a similar character for Family Guy.

Despite the Batman show only having two seasons it made a big cultural impact that made him a known-name for decades. Three wives, six kids. Steady job via Family Guy for the past 17 years (last episode he appeared in was just in May) despite already being a senior when it started. 88. Good life.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
i for one would hate to go out peacefully and surrounded by my loved ones.

The only thing worse would be to die playing Dead Island.

R.I.P. Adam. The 60s Batman TV show got the ball rolling for me.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
R.I.PA adam west,i use to watch the reruns of batman as a kid.Sure adam was a ham but a entertaining one that's for sure.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
R.I.P.

I enjoyed his work immensely as a kid. He seemed like a genuine person. He got the industry it appears. He played the parts we wanted him to play and gave it his all. Thanks for your service.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Cool Adam West story. From an interview Burt Ward gave, promoting his book "Boy Wonder: My Life in Tights":

"When I entered BATMAN as a naive 20-year-old who had only dated a couple of girls, I met Adam West, who immediately introduced me to the wildest sexual debauchery that you can imagine. Within a few months we were like two hungry sharks in a world of unlimited halibut. (laughter). Maybe I'm a little too harsh on Adam. Actually, to be more descriptive, he was more like a killer whale in a world of plankton. Together we had this wild time. Of course, remember, then was the 60s .... people did know about. The people on the show. I mean when you come into the set at 7:30 in the morning and you come out of make-up and the first thing you know, the ladies start coming into our dressing rooms at 7:45. We're talking about wild times in the dressing rooms, on the set, between the shots, in the lunch wagon. When we got home at night after fourteen hours on the set, I think we redefined the meaning of the word pleasure pad. And then of course, doing the personal appearances on the weekend, that's where it really got wild. And I have to be honest with you, we became like sexual vampires. On our show, I must tell you, it was...the 60s was a period of time when everything was free love. People made love to each other. It was a very open life, you know? So it wasn't as though we were out soliciting or anything. We were the ones being chased. But I must tell you, in today's world, which is really a sad reflection of our time, with the horrors and the scourge of Aids and God only knows what else is lurking out there, that in this time it seems like about the only safe sex is to read a book!"

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Batman had so much swag the people around him got laid by proxy. That's badass.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I spent much of my childhood watching the original Batman on what was the Family channel back in the 80's. I am a huge fan of the show. I have the original Batman movie on DVD and my daughter and I watch it on occasion, it is still the most fun Batman film ever made. His portrayal of Batman was brilliant...it takes serious talent to deliver dry humor like he was able to do. I always loved home as Mayor West on Family Guy as well...which his absurd lines and flawless delivery being things I often quote in real life.

He will be missed, may he rest in peace.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Man, I wasn't expecting him to go, news of his death took me completely by surprise. R.I.P., Mr. West. At least they finally got the licensing for his Batman show finally straightened out after many years in legal limbo so that the merchandising wagon could get rolling and he saw some renewed interest, and income, from that in recent years.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Adam West seemed like a legit nice person, that video is well worth the watch.

Celebrity deaths are always odd, most of the time they really d not bother me, sometimes they do. His passing has stuck with me and I've found myself thinking about it from time to time. Original Batman was a huge deal for me, quite like Star Wars was. It got me into comics, it was my intro into super hero shows. To me, his was and still is Batman. The older I get, the more I appreciate his delivery of the character and the great writing that went into the show. Like I mentioned before, the original Batman movie DVD was the first superhero movie I watched with my daughter when she was old enough.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
RIP to a truly funny guy. I grew up watching the Batman reruns with my parents. I loved him in Family Guy too. It's pretty cool that he still did work at such a late age. Definitely sad news.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Small bit of good news here:
Adam West reprised his iconic role as the Bright Knight last fall with Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, a direct-to-video animated feature that earned a sequel even before its wide release. But with the death last week of West at age 88, questions surrounded the future of the follow-up, Batman vs. Two-Face.

However, 13th Dimension reports confirmation from Warner Bros. that West had completed voice work for the sequel by the time of his death. No additional details, such as a release date, were provided, but it’s likely more information could be announced next month at Comic-Con International in San Diego.

West was joined in Return of the Caped Crusaders by his Batman co-stars Burt Ward and Julie Newmar in an animated adventure that pitted the Dynamic Duo against Penguin, The Joker, Riddler and Catwoman. William Shatner will voice Harvey Dent in the sequel.
http://www.cbr.com/adam-west-completed-batman-vs-two-face/

We'll get to have one more Adam West Batman story to cherish.

If you've not seen Return of the Caped Crusaders, I highly recommend it. Can't wait to see the new one.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Last night I watched "Batman: The movie" with some friends that have never watched anything starred by Adam West. It turned out to be a GREAT time, specially with some hilarious moments such as this: