LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
[REDACTED AFTER CLARIFICATION]

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Basically amounts to, "give me free money and I'll totally, absolutely 100% find these incredibly rare games and dump them...trust me...I'm for real".

What a garbage person.

Someone knock his teeth in for me.

I'm kinda leaning toward this as not being real as I don't think Shou would e-beg. Regardless, Shou has contributed more to the arcade hobby then 99% of the people here. Please do a little research before posting nonsense.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Please do a little research before posting nonsense.

Yeah that's not gonna happen. Do research on a guy named ShouTime who's saying he can buy and release rare arcade games for 500 bucks a pop, with leads in the Japanese industry? Is this guy Razoola-tier? Because I've never heard of him.

I don't see any credentials on that kickstarter other than "I know people in Japan". So how about you look at this from a normal person's view who doesn't keep up with every single guy who posts on old video game forums, because I sure as hell haven't seen him here.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Yeah that's not gonna happen. Do research on a guy named ShouTime who's saying he can buy and release rare arcade games for 500 bucks a pop, with leads in the Japanese industry? Is this guy Razoola-tier? Because I've never heard of him.

I don't see any credentials on that kickstarter other than "I know people in Japan". So how about you look at this from a normal person's view who doesn't keep up with every single guy who posts on old video game forums, because I sure as hell haven't seen him here.

You know people in China. Maybe you can get them to dump highly sought after bootlegs. I'd totally support you.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

First off, I'm not advocating e-begging. As I stated in the first post, I don't even think this is really him.

What Shou does is basically the in between work. He has contacts at big companies and with big time collectors. This gives him access to proto boards that are otherwise never going to see the light of day. He then gets them dumped and tries to release the games or at least get them on a working boardset.

His most recent accomplishment was getting a working version of Supersonic Bros out and playable by the public. He went back and forth with the guy who owned the board and was threaten with legal action, ect. That ROM never got dumped, but he at least came to some sort of agreement to have the game at CAX.
Shou is also involved with the ex-A arcade board, which is looking to bring cart based games back to the arcades.

So is he cracking decryption, no. But he is trying to get games out of the hands of horder pieces of shit and out for folks to play. I know he's asked for donations in the past to build up funds to sway private collectors (and to pay dumpers, ect) I don't know if setting up a Patreon shows him in the best light (if it is him). However, to say the guy is a piece of garbage and needs his teeth kicked in is a bit much, even for you.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Honestly out of all the proto games that have been dumped and released I couldn't give two fucks about them after the initial 'oh that's cool' moment. Would it matter if none were ever found/dumped/released from here on? no.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
So how about you look at this from a normal person's view who doesn't keep up with every single guy who posts on old video game forums, because I sure as hell haven't seen him here.

He posts here under the user name Shou-sama.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/member.php?1221-Shou-sama

This posts deals with how he operates:

I'll give you a number - how about over $100k spent on acquiring games for dumping out of my own pocket? How much have i received in donations? single digit %. The average proto is costing me about $3000 now. Mooglyguy has donated much to the cause and deserves props for his contributions.

The point is that acquiring rare games especially protos at this stage is not cheap, not easy, requires connections and time. Do you think anyone can walk into Sega, Taito etc and grab their protos? I have but it requires resources to get there. When I acquire protos, I also have conditions placed upon me. The Japanese collectors and devs do not like sharing but I have penetrated their inner circles. It is so extreme that I have received death threats in Japan for what I do and had to involve the cops to restrain some of these guys. When I do retro talk shows, I walk around with security to ensure the safety of protos due to companies like Konami using the yakuza on collectors to retrieve protos by force.

BTW, that thread is over 3 years old and no telling how long it will be before Kenju on Atomiswave is released.

Jon

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'm genuinely surprised people here don't know who ShouTime is.

I believe he's one of the biggest contributors in the arcade scene both in dumping arcade games and sharing knowledge about PCBs and whatnot. If you ever look at MAME's changelogs you'd read his name several times.

Of course I can't say anything about what he's doing here and now, just reporting things he's done in the past. I know he has dumped huge amount of money to buy rare PCBs all around the world, so I wouldn't mind him asking for some money, if not just to buy new stuff.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
First off, I'm not advocating e-begging. As I stated in the first post, I don't even think this is really him.

What Shou does is basically the in between work. He has contacts at big companies and with big time collectors. This gives him access to proto boards that are otherwise never going to see the light of day. He then gets them dumped and tries to release the games or at least get them on a working boardset.

His most recent accomplishment was getting a working version of Supersonic Bros out and playable by the public. He went back and forth with the guy who owned the board and was threaten with legal action, ect. That ROM never got dumped, but he at least came to some sort of agreement to have the game at CAX.
Shou is also involved with the ex-A arcade board, which is looking to bring cart based games back to the arcades.

So is he cracking decryption, no. But he is trying to get games out of the hands of horder pieces of shit and out for folks to play. I know he's asked for donations in the past to build up funds to sway private collectors (and to pay dumpers, ect) I don't know if setting up a Patreon shows him in the best light (if it is him). However, to say the guy is a piece of garbage and needs his teeth kicked in is a bit much, even for you.

Thanks for explaining and also to Jon for saying it's Shou-sama. Now that I know who it is then I think that gives this more legitimacy. I didn't know he also went by ShouTime.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Quote Originally Posted by Shou-sama View Post
I'll give you a number - how about over $100k spent on acquiring games for dumping out of my own pocket? How much have i received in donations? single digit %. The average proto is costing me about $3000 now. Mooglyguy has donated much to the cause and deserves props for his contributions.

The point is that acquiring rare games especially protos at this stage is not cheap, not easy, requires connections and time. Do you think anyone can walk into Sega, Taito etc and grab their protos? I have but it requires resources to get there. When I acquire protos, I also have conditions placed upon me. The Japanese collectors and devs do not like sharing but I have penetrated their inner circles. It is so extreme that I have received death threats in Japan for what I do and had to involve the cops to restrain some of these guys. When I do retro talk shows, I walk around with security to ensure the safety of protos due to companies like Konami using the yakuza on collectors to retrieve protos by force.

This all seems so unbelievable...but I'm not part of the proto wars...so what do I know. But, if this shit is even partly real, it's ridiculous. It's just games gais.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
$100k on games. Ya’ll a bunch of nerd weirdos

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Honestly out of all the proto games that have been dumped and released I couldn't give two fucks about them after the initial 'oh that's cool' moment. Would it matter if none were ever found/dumped/released from here on? no.

Bang Bang Busters is pretty sweet.

I just bought a Ghostlop cart too, so we'll see how that goes.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
The one NG proto game I would happily put my money on is QP, and that is because the game was really completed, plus graced with a great deal of quality design work, really polished.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I'm genuinely surprised people here don't know who ShouTime is.

I believe he's one of the biggest contributors in the arcade scene both in dumping arcade games and sharing knowledge about PCBs and whatnot. If you ever look at MAME's changelogs you'd read his name several times.

Of course I can't say anything about what he's doing here and now, just reporting things he's done in the past. I know he has dumped huge amount of money to buy rare PCBs all around the world, so I wouldn't mind him asking for some money, if not just to buy new stuff.

Can you share some pics of his wife?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Bang Bang Busters is pretty sweet.

I just bought a Ghostlop cart too, so we'll see how that goes.

There are prototypes and then there are unfinished games. Those games are alright I guess... but what I'm getting at is more the Dragon's Heaven example, it was great to see it and play it but it's fucking dead inside.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
I'm not convinced by the Patreon. I'd be up for sparing some of my money for something concrete. Also Patreon is more of a creator's channel with regular content delivered. He should really get a 100% certified promise of obtaining just one rare unreleased title and then build a crowdfund around that along with his evidence. Not just create a "Send me money and I'll do it I promise!" venture. Enough people have been scammed in this community before.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Seeing this Ninja Gaiden thread bumped back to the top gave me some hope, but I’m not so sure about patreon.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member

I kind of get what your saying here. And crazy as it sounds, there is a part of me that even agrees with this perspective. After all, most unfinished and unreleased games had legit reasons for not making it out the door. Who are we, as the mere gaming public, to question the decisions made by multi-million dollar video game producers? How can we ever miss what we never had?

But my criticism of this particular method of funding is aimed more towards the “broadness” of it. It’s far too “general” and comes without any guarantee. For example, we here at neo-geo.com would be interested in seeing Ninja Gaiden 2 released, but we could care less about some strange obscure Japanese themed game that was never even discussed here. Lumping all of these games together into a group fund scenario is ridiculous. It needs to be more specific and more concrete both in what it is asking for as well as which particular game will benefit from it. It feels like a pie in the sky.

But at the end of the day, what you say is correct. It doesn’t really truly matter in the end. The percentage of “knowledge” & “history” that is learned & gained from the acquisition & preservation of the unreleased games of a company is tiny & almost insignificant compared to that which came from their released games. As an example, we were given 148 officially released examples of what a neogeo cartridge could do. So do we really need 16 more of them? I’m not even sure myself anymore.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
A major issue with these protos is that they have such varying quality and levels of completeness. Games like Ghostlop are great, as they are complete. But some of these games are nowhere near finished, so they aren't very interesting.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
A major issue with these protos is that they have such varying quality and levels of completeness. Games like Ghostlop are great, as they are complete. But some of these games are nowhere near finished, so they aren't very interesting.

That's the point, though. We don't know what we're missing until we know what we're missing.