Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
God, all these bumps are triggering false alarms, where's the next episode already? JK, great work, eager for the next episode.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
IgMyx.gif

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
As long as we're talking between videos, I have to say your PC88 content is just as great. Nice work, Alec. ;)

capnd77

Marked Wolf
Keep up the great work! The Mag Lord video is probably my favorite video but I'm looking forward to some of the upcoming titles.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Another nice review. The only thing that stood out was that you didn't make it explicitly clear that the Neo Geo CD version only loads once like you did in earlier CD sections of your reviews.

Also cool to see that the MagLord review is at almost 800 views. Should be interesting to see the numbers when you finally get to the heavy hitters like KOF, FF, Metal Slug, AOF, World Heroes, etc.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Love these vids so much. Seeing a new vid up = fantastic Xmas gift. Keep up the great work!

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
I have enjoyed watching the latest episode, thx for making these great review videos. Looking forward to your Cyber Lip review :snack:

neomeo

New Challenger
Thank you for making these awesome reviews. It’s definitely worthwhile for the community. Lemony vengeance just posted that YouTube is making it so tough on him just to generate some money. The threshold has been raised again by YouTube. They are again helping the big YouTubers.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
These really are awesome, Neo Alec! Would you ever consider making dvds of these when you are finished? It’s a lot more in depth than the just the quick gameplay clips featured on the All About SNK dvds.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Thanks as always. The amount of views for my videos is not good, but the folks at n-g.com have always been huge supporters.

Cyber-Lip would've been done by about now, but I got sick and couldn't record the narration. The footage is captured and the script is ready to go. Now I have another non-Neo video to work on that is more urgent due to an impending related game release

I like the idea of selling physical copies, but on Youtube you get 1080p60. Standard bluray can't do 60fps. Not sure why someone would want to pay to pull out a disc with worse quality on it. I want people to see the best quality. Old games look noticeably worse at 30fps.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Thanks as always. The amount of views for my videos is not good, but the folks at n-g.com have always been huge supporters.

I hope this won't discourage you from completing this project. I know you have a lot of work ahead of you, but once you're done, it will be the most comprehensive Neo review library out there. From what I've seen on YouTube, nothing comes close to the amount of attention you give even the most niche titles.

Take some comfort in the fact that the amount of views comes with the style you've picked and the nature of the project. There's a guy following the same formula and doing WonderSwan reviews. His reviews aren't nearly as in depth, and some videos might even nothing more that barely related rants, but he's going through the whole library, and the fact that he speaks Japanese helps him dig up interesting tidbits every now and then. He gets about 50 views per Swan video, and has only 115 subscribers at the moment.

I know plenty of views is an added bonus, but you're 9 videos in, and you haven't covered any of the well known fighters, which hopefully will attract more people once you do. If you're looking for views, your only hope is to stream gameplay while on crack, because that's what kids are watching these days.

I, however, would eventually like to see headlines on gaming websites, that read "Neo Geo enthusiast reviews every game released for the system". Keep at it. We're not that many, but we're watching. You. When you sleep. :keke:

I like the idea of selling physical copies, but on Youtube you get 1080p60. Standard bluray can't do 60fps. Not sure why someone would want to pay to pull out a disc with worse quality on it. I want people to see the best quality. Old games look noticeably worse at 30fps.

Completing this project will take years. Who knows? Maybe then you'll be able to release everything at 60fps, on a single RedBeam Disc? That is, if the physical media are still around.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I'm subscribed to SwanSong, and those numbers are abysmal. He will have to do something that branches out a little if he wants more views. Maybe he's fine with it; I don't know. It's getting harder to get established on Youtube without a breakout hit.

But the problem is larger than that, really. If you search youtube for "neo geo" while not logged in, my videos don't come up. I mean, not at all, in pages and pages of search results. "neo geo" is the first keyword for most of my videos, and it's in the title and description. All the views my videos have are from the forums where I've posted the links. I know this because Youtube provides the stats to back it up. You'd think with all the likes, Youtube would take a hint and start recommending the videos to more visitors but apparently not. Youtube used to work like this -- That's how you could find most of my arcade videos 10 years ago, but now when you search for a term like "neo geo" you mostly get older videos.

"Completing this project" isn't really the goal right now. The goal is one video at a time. Between capturing footage, writing the script, recording and editing, I spend the better part of three weekends to make one of my crappy little videos. That's weekend time my wife would like me to use for other things (though she's a big supporter). Imagine how precious my time would be if we had kids. I have no aspirations to be a well-known youtuber, but for my effort, I would like gamers to be able to find my crappy videos. I have some ideas to expand the viewer base, but they will take time and effort.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I really think once you start getting into games like FF, KOF, MS, SS, etc things will pick up a bit for the series as a whole.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I'm subscribed to SwanSong, and those numbers are abysmal. He will have to do something that branches out a little if he wants more views. Maybe he's fine with it; I don't know. It's getting harder to get established on Youtube without a breakout hit.
Well, if you think the Neo Geo is obscure, at least it came out in the US. Covering a Japanese only console in English is not the way to rake in views, no matter the quality of the video.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Alec, if you keep doing what you're doing, the channel will grow. Don't get discouraged.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It was proven that small channels don't get top billing regardless of your keywords you use. If you're not making Youtube money you will be relegated to a 2nd or 3rd page listing to be honest. The best you can do is just keep making videos and getting followers. Another thing to think about, to be honest, alot of the bigger guys pimp themselves all over social media as well. If you're not up to that then growth will be hard.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
FWIW, I watch all your Neo Geo videos all the way through. There's only a handful of YT channels I do that with.

YT views/success is capricious. The cream doesn't always rise to the top.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Yeah, I agree with KP. You should have a Twitter account to go along with your channel. Instagram is cool too, because you can just post pics of Neo stuff and put hashtags on it.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
We have Twitter and Instagram, mentioned earlier in this thread and listed on our channel. Those are nice for extra exposure, but don't often translate into views.

I'm taking things one vid at a time. People keep mentioning vids that are at least a year away. You have to understand I have a thousand hours of work to do between now and then. I have other ideas to draw in Neo fans in the mean time.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
It was proven that small channels don't get top billing regardless of your keywords you use. If you're not making Youtube money you will be relegated to a 2nd or 3rd page listing to be honest.

I can't even get results when I search for the exact title of my own video. Granted, I have little to no views. It's still disturbing. If you have a video on your channel titled "Kid Panda's Pandatastic Shmup School" and you search for that exact title, you expect it to be the first hit, not a video of Logan Paul giggling like a retard at the sight of a hanging corpse.

I'm taking things one vid at a time. People keep mentioning vids that are at least a year away. You have to understand I have a thousand hours of work to do between now and then.

We know, but casual Neo emulator jockeys are searching for Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown and King of Fighters, not Top Player's Golf, Riding Hero or the unreleased Sun Shine. You're doing God's work, but the masses want that Slug. It's what they know from their emulators and digital releases across more current consoles.

I know that making these videos takes up a lot of time, but I sure would like to see some gameplay. Boot up a game you're particularly good at, and just stream it on YouTube. Or record it and cut the footage down to show off the highlights. Whatever works. This type of video won't be so time consuming and will still add content to your channel.

Personally, I don't mind you doing just the Neo reviews. Just throwing some options out there.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yep, you understand the problem, Morden. That's an idea, and I have some more ideas.