Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
We just finished watching it; another great vid :buttrock:

The information about the music for League Bowling and Puzzle Bobble being run through the yamaha synthesizer was very interesting as well.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I respect everything you are trying to do. I like your reviews for the most part. I may be the minority here but... stop trying to be funny. It makes the reviews have an element of cringe factor. So many youtubers think they have to inject AVGN/MaximllionFAG shit into their videos.

Keep going man, just a bit of my own bs opinion.

I will shit watch your videos anyways.
What was the joke in the Burning Fight video that pushed you over the edge?

I believe that Youtube content in general should be entertaining. Sorry if I don't always succeed. But I'm going to keep trying because I spend about a month's worth of weekends on each of these so I'm gonna say what I wanna say.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I enjoy your content exactly the way it is. I do genuinely get a laugh out of the funnier parts and I find the reviews informative and entertaining. I've watched every review you've put out and will continue to do so and enjoy them. Thanks for keeping the project going! I'm looking forward to your stance on Ghost Pilots.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Thanks! Does anyone here particularly like Ghost Pilots? And if so, why?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I'm enjoying the vids and appreciate the time and effort going into it all. I say keep it the way you have it - if it's not fun for you then you won't keep producing the content.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
We just finished watching it; another great vid :buttrock:

The information about the music for League Bowling and Puzzle Bobble being run through the yamaha synthesizer was very interesting as well.
Are you watching with your son? How is it? I don't gear the show toward kids, so I drop some mild bad words now and then.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

I do. It’s not my favorite shooter on the system, but it’s a solid shooter imho. It’s oldschool where you almost have to worry more about the incoming suiciding enemy plane formations rather than the bullets that they produce. I can beat half of it on a single credit, but...

...due to the game’s length, if you’re not playing to work on your 1cc or for score improvement, the game can definitely start to feel way too repetitive after a while. Since the graphics and music aren’t anything special it tends to get no love compared to the other shooters in the neo library (aside from visco’s “isn’t-this-just-a-sega-genesis-game?”-Andro Dunos I suppose).

Are you watching with your son? How is it? I don't gear the show toward kids, so I drop some mild bad words now and then.

Sup Neo Alec. Yeah me, the wife, and kid all watch the vids and get a kick out of them. The mild language isn’t bad so no worries there.

The mrs enjoys watching the videos to learn more about the games that she hasn’t really played that are in the neo geo library. She plays some of the games and has seen me complete most of the neo library to death, but the early games are not as forgiving when it comes to their difficulty (Ninja Combat, Magician Lord, etc) so she never played them for herself. The videos are really informative so she gets to learn more about these particular titles that she has seen but never really played. The video on Mahjong Kyoretsuden was particularly interesting since I very rarely play the mahjong games.

For my son the appeal is a little different. Though he has his favorites already (Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, King of the Monsters, Blazing Star, Viewpoint (he likes the music and the “crab boss” lol), the videos tend to pique his interest and he often wants to try out the game that is featured (The Super Spy was suddenly popular here after that video lol). So in that regard, they act as 15-20 minute long videogame promo videos to him :lolz: Terry is EAGERLY awaiting your King of the Monsters 2 video, but I had to relay to him that NGH-039 is a long ways off lol

Aside from the neo geo reviews, I also used to watch your Tokyo Game Show and PC-88 features.

Keep up the good work. We’re definitely fans of the Basement Brothers channel :buttrock:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That's really great to hear. Even though I wasn't considering kids, that's actually exactly what I was making the videos for.

I keep asking my two brothers to make more videos too.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Great work as always man, Look forward to seeing your neo videos, Always learn something :)

Digmac

Leona's Therapist

Ghost Pilots is my least favorite shooter on the Neo Geo platform. It’s not a horrible game, but it can be repetitive, annoying, and frustrating. Graphically it’s solid for a 1991 release. Music and sound effects are decent, not anything special but they do the job. Gameplay, it’s not great. No speed power ups means your plane moves at a snails pace. You better keep your shot powered up, because if you die and lose your shot power, the game feels unfair with how slow the plane moves. It also has no originality, and feels like SNK tried to copy Daisenpuu. With Sonic Wings 2 & 3 on the same platform, I struggle to find a reason to play Ghost Pilots. If one hasn’t played it before, or enjoys the earlier releases on the platform, I can see why they would try it/enjoy it. I think you have to have a measure of nostalgia for it, playing it in the arcades back in the day, to get the most out of it. For me, it’s just got a lot of issues which result in me playing other shooters on the Neo Geo.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Another excellent review! Your Neo love and knowledge really come through in each of your videos :)

In the picture of the LB link-up that you showed, which one is you? The guy closest with his back to to the camera?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
When you get to the later games that had great ports to Dreamcast, PS, and Xbox... Are you gonna add that to the review? Or just Neo Hardware only?

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
I really love this entire series and I think the humor is awesome. I kind of blow off a lot of subscription notifications, but yours I always get to asap. I've watched your Riding Hero video multiple times because I think it's hilarious. It's much better than the game itself.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Still watching every video!

Same, and even if you don't like the humor (I admit it doesn't always hits the right notes for me) you got to at least be entertained for the lengthy reviews of games which the so called "experts" on youtube barely talk about.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I always pull up your reviews, and always throw you a like (of course I'm subscribed as well.) I personally do not like ghost pilots at all. I played through it once when I had it on aes before selling it. That's all it took. Stupidly annoying suicide enemies, big fat hit box on my big fat plane, and by the time I finished the game I had mashed the fire button so much I couldn't fucking speed pick my bass for like a week because the tendons in my arm were locked up at the age of 15. Ghost pilots sucks. Lol

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Great job carrying the torch Alec, truly
Thanks! That really means a lot.

When you get to the later games that had great ports to Dreamcast, PS, and Xbox... Are you gonna add that to the review? Or just Neo Hardware only?
I always cover the ports. I don't talk about the modern releases because they are just the Neo Geo version emulated. I also want to keep the series grounded in the era that these games existed in, on real hardware.

I really love this entire series and I think the humor is awesome. I kind of blow off a lot of subscription notifications, but yours I always get to asap. I've watched your Riding Hero video multiple times because I think it's hilarious. It's much better than the game itself.
Thanks. Riding Hero is my favorite video too. My least favorite is Ninja Combat. It has funny moments, but my vision for the video never came together, I struggled to finish it, and I forgot to mention Gang Wars.

Thanks for all your takes on Ghost Pilots. Of course I have my opinions as well.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
League Bowling is up:

That lady is tall.
Very tall :rolleyes: The only thing i notice you missed in the review was the mention of the beer frame,showing in the vs mode.Still a very well produce review for league bowling.For a early release i still find myself,going back to league bowling every now and then.Also i remember before this review i remember this idiot reviewing the game and thinking wtf is he talking about :angry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOWWuWp0ck

Last edited:

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member

I do! Mostly due to its visuals.

Back when I got the AES for Christmas in '93 or '92, I distinctly remember seeing screenshots for it in a catalogue and also a magazine, and I just loved the way it looked. It reminded me of "Flying Shark" which was and still is a favorite of mine, and I just knew I had to have this.
Well....took me a few decades but I finally got a "white" copy (EU cover, I think?) a couple years ago, and I always have great time when I play it. Atmosphere is top notch! I do agree, however, that GP is a little bit too lengthy.

On a completely unrelated matter, I still don't have "Flying Shark". Got an FM Towns Marty mainly for it that but ...no luck.Trying to distract myself with the NES and Jaguar (Atari ST) ports. :)

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Very tall :rolleyes: The only thing i notice you missed in the review was the mention of the beer frame,showing in the vs mode.Still a very well produce review for league bowling.For a early release i still find myself,going back to league bowling every now and then.Also i remember before this review i remember this idiot reviewing the game and thinking wtf is he talking about :angry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOWWuWp0ck
Yes, the beer frame got addressed in the comments section. I was playing the AES mode the whole time and completely forgot about it. I am filled with regret.

Well, here's what would've been on the video:
You can only turn it on in MVS mode, it just shows an animation and that's it. I probably would've used the same beer footage I made at my brother's house that's already been featured in 3 of our videos.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Heh, that CGR review never moves "Waldo" left or right, just like my wife, playing on the right side in my video. You miss out on the most fun part of the game that way.

The FM music sounds more staccato on the PS3.

And btw lol Neo Geo games are expensive.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I haven't played Ghost Pilots for years but IIRC, there's a weird ship dynamic where you seem to move faster via diagonals than up/down/left/right. The hit box is too big, there's no speedups, it's long and repetitive. Other than that, it's...still pretty shit. You could call it Flying Shark's retarded cousin.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Seems I've missed this thread for the last 3 years or so, but I watched a few videos and subscribed. Good work!