Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Excellent job, as always.

I like the tone of these reviews: they're very informative and... I think the word I'm lookin' for is "relaxing". They don't rely on comedic writing and it's pretty obvious you know what you're talkin' about (and love it).

It'll be a long journey before you get to my favorite game (Neo Turf Masters) but I'll keep watchin':D

Thanks again Neo Alec

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Sorry, no Blue's Journey video... yet. But I did make this:

Sorry, no Blue's Journey video... yet. But I did make this:

Hey Basement Brother, Neo-Alec, I watched it last night, you had a lot of work to do, and became more expensive than you anticipated. I agree with you, its better to play on a console than a cabinet. Enjoyed the video very much. Keep up man.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That was a really interesting vid Neo Alec. Thanks for sharing; it was definitely cool to hear your experiences/challenges with the cab project.

I prefer the cabinet experience over consoles myself, but I was an arcade rat in the 80's and 90's growing up and home console games weren't really my thing outside of pc emulation. Great vid!

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Thats a gorgeous big red! There's a quick clip in the video of some dude walking through a factory with loads of cabs there, is there a link to this video in full?

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Really cool video! Love the beast busters in the back.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Here's Blue's Journey. Been working on this one since early summer.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Blue's Journey screams 'We want to sell cabs to Chuck E. Cheese: the game'

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
hahaha! I wish I had that Chuck E. Cheese pizza (the way I remember it tasting as a kid) while reviewing this game.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
One of my favorite Neo Geo games, it was one of the first I ever saw in the arcade and it was one of the first I got for my cab. Great review.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
That was great. Bule... that shit kills me. :lolz:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'm curious, did you ever realize that "starge space" was meant to say "strange space" back in the day when you first played the game? I had no idea until I worked on this review and looked up what it says in the Japanese mode. I even googled the word "starge" to try to find a meaning.

TK86079

Mr. Big's Thug
Great review again! I love Blue’s Journey, it was one of the games when I had my first contact to a Neo Geo and it was the second game I bought in the early 90s for the home System. I always liked the colorful graphics and the cool soundtrack.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Watched your Blue Review last night, wonderful stuff as always!

Blue's Journey is my kind of game but sadly, I haven't invested much time in it because my AES cart seems fried. I get black bars next to every sprite - while it's not unplayable, it is aggravating and I give up after a short time. One of these days I'll find another cart and play through this one properly. (If anyone has a loose BJ cart they'd like to sell, lmk :))

Side question for NeoAlec: Do you read and/or write Japanese? I get that impression from your videos, just curious.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Watched your Blue Review last night, wonderful stuff as always!

Blue's Journey is my kind of game but sadly, I haven't invested much time in it because my AES cart seems fried. I get black bars next to every sprite - while it's not unplayable, it is aggravating and I give up after a short time. One of these days I'll find another cart and play through this one properly. (If anyone has a loose BJ cart they'd like to sell, lmk :))
Thanks! You should post a photo of the problem in the Tech Support forum. I'm sure people will help you troubleshoot it.

Side question for NeoAlec: Do you read and/or write Japanese? I get that impression from your videos, just curious.
Yes, but I'm lapsed over the years, so luckily my brother who hasn't made a video for the channel in a couple of years is native-level fluent and is usually available if I have something specific I need checked. He did A LOT of the work for the next video.

Last edited:

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Yes, but I'm lapsed over the years, so luckily my brother who hasn't made a video for the channel in a couple of years is native-level fluent and is usually available if I have something specific I need checked. He did A LOT of the work for the next video.

Looking forward to it! There are so many Japanese exclusives on all platforms that I've never been able to penetrate, so it will be great to see your next one. I took a semester of Japanese in college but haven't retained much of it. Absolutely love the language though. (I'm playing through Ghost of Tsushima right now in Japanese w/ English subtitles, trying to assay what little I can from conversations. Such a beautiful fucking game.)

Another random question for you Neo Alec: Do you have any plans or thoughts on releasing all your reviews as a DVD boxset? I'm sure there are many of us who would love to have them once you've made it through the entire library. Those YT ads can get pretty annoying!

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Great video as always! I can't wait for the next one, since it will be on a game that I don't know much about and it's quite hard to get into.

Thanks again for your work, not long ago I finished rewatching every single one of your reviews and I am glad this one came in just in time after.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Another random question for you Neo Alec: Do you have any plans or thoughts on releasing all your reviews as a DVD boxset? I'm sure there are many of us who would love to have them once you've made it through the entire library. Those YT ads can get pretty annoying!
I think this was asked further back, but it's now a long thread, I know. I'm not opposed to the idea of a physical media release, but on DVD you wouldn't get HD or 60 fps, so you'd be paying for an inferior way to watch them. I personally find it really distracting when youtubers show old games at 30 fps. It just looks weird.

Great video as always! I can't wait for the next one, since it will be on a game that I don't know much about and it's quite hard to get into.

Thanks again for your work, not long ago I finished rewatching every single one of your reviews and I am glad this one came in just in time after.
Glad it was worth a rewatch. What was your favorite?

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Glad it was worth a rewatch. What was your favorite?

I think I like your Riding Hero review the most, it's quite funny the way you narrate the game text and how you explain it's quirks. I've only played that game once and was immediately put off by it's mechanics, it was nice being able to learn about it in an entertaining way, without having to play it.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Riding Hero is usually my pick too. The humor just ended up landing as far as I'm concerned. Running through that much of the story mode isn't everyone's cup of tea though. One commenter compared it to a Let's play, which might be kind of true, but also kind of an insult, since my videos take so much work to edit.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
I think this was asked further back, but it's now a long thread, I know. I'm not opposed to the idea of a physical media release, but on DVD you wouldn't get HD or 60 fps, so you'd be paying for an inferior way to watch them.

True, I mentioned DVD because I assumed pressing Bluray discs would be prohibitively expensive. Would gladly help support a BD release if/when you get to that point.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fuck me I've been pronouncing it Rah-guy for 15+ years.

Today I learned it's pronounced Rah-gee (hard g).

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Fuck me I've been pronouncing it Rah-guy for 15+ years.

Today I learned it's pronounced Rah-gee (hard g).

Same. I pronounced it Ra Guy, like some Egyptian shit

Edit: at 22:57 of the Blues Journey video, blue gets called the N word.

Last edited: