Thread: Garou MotW & Gekido Kintaro's Revenge

Big Bang Pro Wrestler

Garou MotW & Gekido Kintaro's Revenge

Gekido Kintaro's Revenge was a unique and fun beat em up dungeon crawler with a simple but fun combo system on the gba. It was just rereleased this year on current gen consoles and the newly added co-op, infinite dungeon, and survival modes have been a lot of fun.

It is still one of my favorite games on the gba, but it scored mixed reviews when it originally hit the gba. At the time, many reviewers praised the game's impressive SNK-like spritework and animation. It was well known that Naps Team, the developers, were huge SNK fans and there are a lot of interesting touches that become apparent when compared with not just snk's character designs and animation, but with Garou MotW in particular:

Tetsuo's "KKPPP" combo:

garou standing kick.PNG > garou jumping kick frame.PNG > garou rock strong punch far 1.PNG > garou rock close strong punch 2.PNG > kof k strong crowbite.jpg

Tetsuo's forward dash:
    gekido tetsuo run.PNG garou run.PNG

Tetsuo defeats Koji:
    tetsuo defeats koji.PNG rock defeats kain.PNG

Tetsuo's idle stance:
    gekido tetsuo idle.GIF kof iori idle.GIF

Koji's standing pose:
    gekido koji standing.jpg kof iori standing.jpg

There are many others (all of Tetsuo’s attack animations are adapted from either MotW Rock, Terry, or K’ from KOF), but this is all I could post at the moment. Is anyone else here a fan of Gekido? Just underscores how well the animation and influence of Garou has aged over all these years.
    Last edited by BlackaneseNiNjA; 07-20-2018 at 02:39 PM.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Formerly "Dreamer"

Wow, I remember playing this back when it was released on teh romz. Great game.

Unsure if You Asked
    For a custom Rank
    But Hell, why not.

This looks great, just grabbed it for the Switch. Thanks, BlackaneseNiNjA.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin
    As for the collector, his collection is never complete; even if he is missing but a single object, all that he has collected nevertheless remains fragmentary...

Formerly the Drunk
    known as Tyrandom.

Earlier Naps Team made Shadow Fighter (probably the best beu on Amiga), and also in that situation they "took inspiration" from anime and other games.

Ozma War Hero

Great comparison BlackaneseNiNjA! Here's what this standard enemy reminds me of, too:

Quote Originally Posted by BlackaneseNiNjA View Post
    Looks a bit like Mukuro from Last Blade.

Hardened Shock Trooper

Did any SNK staff work on this, or is it just a case of them stealing animation?

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!

i have Gekido on the gba. it's been a while since i played it, but i loved it and had no idea it took any inspiration from snk games.

Edo Express Delivery Guy

I've never heard of this game before, but the art and animation do look pretty impressive for the GBA. Definitely see the SNK influence. I'm glad someone else sees the Mukuro similarities. I should give this game a play.
    -Finch

Another quality BlackaneseNinja thread. The game looked good but I didn't like it as it wasn't a pure beat 'em up - like looking for keys, backtracking, etc. Falling through holes in the ground was irritating. Still, good eyes BN.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Did any SNK staff work on this, or is it just a case of them stealing animation?
    The developers are Italian.

DrillSlug Driver

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    Another quality BlackaneseNinja thread. The game looked good but I didn't like it as it wasn't a pure beat 'em up - like looking for keys, backtracking, etc. Falling through holes in the ground was irritating. Still, good eyes BN.

Yeah, the holes turned me off and i gave up on it. I'll try it again on the flash cart though.

Chief Of My Heart!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post

These are the exact reasons why I didn't like this game. I WANTED TO THOUGH.

I suppose the only way to make
    a game like this look Japan developed is to steal Japanese developed sprites. When I first played this years ago, I was like "this can't be Japanese developed...but it looks VERY close, and certainly more JPN, then western". I can't think of too many examples of where i've said that.

Cham Cham's Banana

Huh.. Well if you're gonna rip something off, might as well rip off the best. It's funny I recently picked this up and never put 2 and 2 together.

Chang's Combo Meal #4

The falling through holes bit is a real killjoy for this game, as is looking for the fucking keys. Does it get better towards the end?

Thread Information