adding a headphone port to a cocktail cab - HALP!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So, I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R4H85Y/

I have it hooked to a line level converter I also wired straight to the JAMMA audio out.

Headphones do not work - but if I use an external speaker system, it does work??? I've tried multiple headphones. Why would this be? Is an aux port not just a pass through?!

Second question: how hard is it to get the speaker audio to stop if headphones are inserted? Assuming the headphones work, of course.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
as to your first question: my guess is the singal is too low. Speakers have built in amplifiers, headphones usually do not. You might need to build in an amplifier circuit or add a headphone amplifier...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Where are you getting the audio from? if it's an MVS board it must be the headphone output, not the speaker or JAMMA outputs.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Where are you getting the audio from? if it's an MVS board it must be the headphone output, not the speaker or JAMMA outputs.
you stupid fucking koala banger:
I have it hooked to a line level converter I also wired straight to the JAMMA audio out.

btw. @OP:
Wikipedia: Line level said:
Line level is the specified strength of an audio signal used to transmit analog sound between audio components such as CD and DVD players, television sets, audio amplifiers, and mixing consoles.

As opposed to line level, there are weaker audio signals, such as those from microphones and instrument pickups, and stronger signals, such as those used to drive headphones and loudspeakers. The "strength" of these various signals does not necessarily refer to the output voltage of the source device; it also depends on its output impedance and output power capability.