AES shell plastic

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Ever since I've had an AES, I've noticed the plastic shell of the console kinda feels.... crappy.. it feels flimsy compared to other systems from the era, genesis, NES, SNES, Atari 7800, etc... well maybe except the master system and TG16....

I just think it's ironic that the most luxurious 90s home console feels like cheapass shit when you hold it in your hands hahahahahah

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Mine feels fine. I don't think the plastic is as thick as the plastic on the Genny or Snes but no real biggie.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I think it's due to the size of the console. All that plastic and it's bound to be easy to damage.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The AES shell is pretty low budget in terms of the build quality but roughly comparable to other consoles of the era. Genesis was marginally better. SNES was very good if you didn't get one that magically turned yellow. NEC also build some solid shells for the various iterations of the PCE family.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've always found SNES plastic to be brittle, even if it isn't yellowed. You see a lot of them with chipped corners mainly. You realy need to be careful when drilling holes on there if you ever do a digital audio mod or component (lol).

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I could use several top portions of the AES case myself.....I've seen so many come up damaged in shipping BUT yeah you would expect that the casing would be more durable given it's time of release and cost..
BB

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I agree the home console feels cheap, really cheap. An MVS board in comparison does not but then neither does a home variant's PCB ;)

Think of the silicon.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I agree the home console feels cheap, really cheap. An MVS board in comparison does not but then neither does a home variant's PCB ;)

Think of the silicon.

At least the board is robust. My AES shell is rather scratched... definitely GAMER condition rather than shelf candy.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
At least the board is robust. My AES shell is rather scratched... definitely GAMER condition rather than shelf candy.

What does the shell condition have to do with being on a shelf? You can't see it through the box anyways.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Still amazes me the AES has no power light, something that would be very handy for a system that is almost 30 years old.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I agree about the fragility. The system has a support post on the inside in the middle below the cartridge slot. I think part of the issue with the design is the required width of the cartridge slot. You shouldn't exert too much force when holding the system to insert a cart.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You aren't a real collector if you don't have the box. You're a faker, a tourist.

Rip the box up, burn it and laugh at it. Fuck your box, bunch of collectards getting all hard over cardboard.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Still amazes me the AES has no power light, something that would be very handy for a system that is almost 30 years old.

I have a modded AES, so it has a power light. And when it's in use, I always think of how convenient the power light is, if only for the quick visual assurance that the unit is turned off before inserting a cart, good for a compulsive like me. It did always seem odd that the good old Genesis had one, but not the AES.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Rip the box up, burn it and laugh at it. Fuck your box, bunch of collectards getting all hard over cardboard.

You realize he was being sarcastic? Wait, no you don't.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
I remember playing a NeoGeo CD and the console itself as well as the controller felt very solid. High quality stuff.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
I just dislike the fact that the boards rattle inside the shell.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The original batch of shells on the early revisions are brittle compared to anything that was 3-4 and later. The later shells were more durable. Of all the AES systems I've received, the only ones to ever get damaged in shipping were the early low serial numbers that people are misled to think are superior to the others, lol. Weak shell and shitty RGB.