Greetings from the Buckeye State!

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Hello everyone. I am obviously very new around here. I am fairly new to the Neo Geo scene as well. I was a young pup when the system came out and only vaguely remember the home console. I just knew that it was at the local electronics stores and was far more than my family could afford.

My real love of Neo Geo was for the arcade systems. I remembered seeing them in a few arcades and stores in my area and was always disappointed when I couldn't find one. (They were pretty sparse overall.)

I sadly do not yet own a Neo Geo of any sort, but looking to slowly get started. I admit that I am leaning towards trying to track down a AES instead of going for the MVS, but am not really against finding a consolized MVS for now either.

Looking forward to return quite often and learn a bit more as I have much to learn about the Neo Geo games that I used to play and find what other ones I would have enjoyed back then.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Welcome to the forums. Don your thickest skin.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
You picked a great time to get into buying AES games.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
You picked a great time to get into buying AES games.

Honestly, my plan is to look into the convert that allows MVS carts to be played on the AES...or may just throw the money down for the NEOSD for the ones I can't even dare afford.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Welcome to the site! Honestly, just go mvs and forget aes at this point. Even if you can afford the high aes prices these days, you're seriously risking overpaying for clever bootlegs. There are so many other ways to enjoy neo geo games these days it's best to explore your other options. Happy gaming!

madman

Honestly, my plan is to look into the convert that allows MVS carts to be played on the AES...or may just throw the money down for the NEOSD for the ones I can't even dare afford.

Then why even bother with an AES? You're paying more for the console plus the converter. Makes no sense. Get a CMVS and save yourself a lot of trouble.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Then why even bother with an AES? You're paying more for the console plus the converter. Makes no sense. Get a CMVS and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Because the AES is cool as fuck and cmvs looks hobo.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object

Honestly just OCD about my set-up. Also, really haven't looked into where I can get a CMVS as of yet...if I could find a nice one, I might jump on it, but not sure where to look yet as I know I'm supposed to say out of the market here for a while. :p

madman

Honestly just OCD about my set-up. Also, really haven't looked into where I can get a CMVS as of yet...if I could find a nice one, I might jump on it, but not sure where to look yet as I know I'm supposed to say out of the market here for a while. :p

Not sure how having a home cart with a converter plugged in with an MVS cart plugged in on top of that would appease your so-called OCD. Anyhow, carry on.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Your first love was the arcades...do yourself a favor and keep it that way. MVS > AES all day when it comes to poor people like me, I did the jump to MVS from AES and didn't look back until now that I got back into AES...but I'm keeping it cheap!

Also, CMVS doesn't look hobo, hobos make hobo CMVS, classy padres make classy padre CMVS.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Not sure how having a home cart with a converter plugged in with an MVS cart plugged in on top of that would appease your so-called OCD. Anyhow, carry on.

Suppose this is true. Eh, I'm a noob to the Neo Geo world, so I have much to learn. (At least I'm willing to admit it.)

I will start looking at some quality MVS builds and go that route. I think it's just a matter of I'm still stuck in the thought of having the "home console" more than anything. And perhaps someday I might end up having both sitting in my set-up, but suppose for monetary reasons right now, I'm better off starting with a quality MVS build.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I've been in EMS for 13 years...I think I can handle most anything at this point. lol

Also, really haven't looked into where I can get a CMVS as of yet...if I could find a nice one, I might jump on it, but not sure where to look yet as I know I'm supposed to say out of the market here for a while. :p
smart and at the same time dumb. The two easiest ways:
(a) You like the look of the NGH? You need a mighty OMEGA in your life (made by Quan, one of our own [shadowkn55]).
(b) Want something more custom, tailored to your needs, with the most solid bbuild quality (and maybe even cheaper?) - head over to Jamma Nation X or contact Xian Xi on here.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Another similar story, another victim of this wretched and foul 'hobby' as some of you put it.

Welcome to your demise.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
smart and at the same time dumb. The two easiest ways:
(a) You like the look of the NGH? You need a mighty OMEGA in your life (made by Quan, one of our own [shadowkn55]).
(b) Want something more custom, tailored to your needs, with the most solid bbuild quality (and maybe even cheaper?) - head over to Jamma Nation X or contact Xian Xi on here.

Thanks for the useful info. The Omega would definitely fulfill the desire of the general look while saving a crapload on games.

I will take a close look at Jamma Nation once I get home.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Def go the MVS route.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Def go the MVS route.

I think I've been convinced. After seeing what can be done with a CMVS, there is really no need to go the AES route for me. I sure as hell don't have bottomless pockets.

Obviously the AES carts do look nicer, but it can't be all about looks. As long as I can stick my toe into the pool and relive the old days of the Neo Geo games that I played way back when, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the warm greetings (and even some of the not so warm greetings. Haha.)

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Welcome to the struggle. There's nothing else to do in this state than play games. Keep the tradition alive!