Stuff like this makes me lose even more faith in humanity...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why the fuck do people bother with facebook?

All I ever hear about facebook are complaints.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
It's like people who have two kids and suddenl need a car that seats seven. No you don't. You want one, because you like the idea of it. You don't need some massive submarine of a vehicle. Just like these clowns don't need a bigger house. They're just rich fucks who want a change.

Ugh I can relate. I'm still mad my damned wife got rid of my jetta for a fucking ford edge. I really enjoyed that car, but it was supposedly too hard to get a little kid out of the back seat of a spacious four seater. No, she just wanted more room. we don't have the money for it like those rich fucks, so it's $225/mo for 6 years which sucks ass while by now the Jetta would have been paid off I think a year now about.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I heard a realtor describe a 2-bedroom house as "functionally obsolete". He was trying to flip an old 50s house in the middle of town. They were in the process of taking up half the yard with a new master suite, and not even touching the single-pane windows everywhere.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
It is the conditioning of the American public by corporations over the last few decades.

All the houses built before 1980s are relatively small and manageable. There were no mansions, most houses have 2-3 bedrooms with 1-2 bathrooms and well under 2000 sqft. Now, houses like that don't sell, so builders buy them up relatively cheap, tear them down and rebuild a giant houses with 4-5 bedrooms and over 3000 sqft. They double the original asking price (and then some). The problem is that the McMansions sit in the same small size lot so they look out-of-place.

I just don't get it. The cost of maintenance/tax is so much higher for all the unused space, not to mention having to clean and furnish the place. It wastes so much energy to keep the place cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Unfortunately, people now are conditioned to think anything under 2000 sqft is small.

In NJ, most homes have a living room and a family room. I don't understand, since functionally they are identical. So most of my friends' living room is just some expensive furniture with a layer of dust because the family room is where they actually watch TV/talk.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm not really all that sure why I'm explaining myself...but I guess I'll do it anyway, some of you get my point...some haven't.

First off...this has nothing to do with jealousy, I don't begrudge anyone anything they have. If you can afford it, have it, I really don't care.

This is a far deeper issue, one that bothers me quite a bit. This isn't 1897, it's not even 1987. We are constantly surrounded by up to the minute details about everything, all of the time. There was a time when someone could grow up in a shoebox, completely unaware of the world around them causing them to believe their reality was the only reality. This just isn't the case anymore. This is like smoking...smoking in 1935 was taking part in mass social ignorance. In 2047, you're a fool if you choose to do it, there is literally an ocean of data to show to anyone who can read how bad it is for you.

For this woman to live in a microcosm blissfully unaware (or simply ignoring) the world around here is something I find offensive. This has nothing to do with money, or the size of a home. This is yet another case of a vapid, self absorbed human being. If you're wealthy, good for you. Just don't go on social media spouting off about your made up issues when others are struggling to keep food on the table.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Most houses here are what would be called duplexes in America. Attached to another house. The prices in Dublin all start at around 300,000 euro, for 3 beds, 2 baths, attached to someone else, and the closer to the city center the more expensive.

As you get more into the country houses tend to get bigger, cheaper, and seperated from each other. the average houses from back in Texas here would be seen as mansions, cost double what they do there, and be so far away from any cities no one would want to own them. The McMansion doesn't exist here. People here seem to be much more practical with money, and perhaps due to years of economic depression are much more capable of living within their means.

Though I'll admit I miss some of the American flair. The fast cars, the frivolity of owning things that hold no inherent resale value, not looking at your next big purchase with all the panache and je ne sais quoi of an accountant. But being brash, and stupid. Sometimes life needs a little stupid sprinkled in to make things fun.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm not really all that sure why I'm explaining myself...but I guess I'll do it anyway, some of you get my point...some haven't.

First off...this has nothing to do with jealousy, I don't begrudge anyone anything they have. If you can afford it, have it, I really don't care.

This is a far deeper issue, one that bothers me quite a bit. This isn't 1897, it's not even 1987. We are constantly surrounded by up to the minute details about everything, all of the time. There was a time when someone could grow up in a shoebox, completely unaware of the world around them causing them to believe their reality was the only reality. This just isn't the case anymore. This is like smoking...smoking in 1935 was taking part in mass social ignorance. In 2047, you're a fool if you choose to do it, there is literally an ocean of data to show to anyone who can read how bad it is for you.

For this woman to live in a microcosm blissfully unaware (or simply ignoring) the world around here is something I find offensive. This has nothing to do with money, or the size of a home. This is yet another case of a vapid, self absorbed human being. If you're wealthy, good for you. Just don't go on social media spouting off about your made up issues when others are struggling to keep food on the table.

This sounds a lot like a 'don't ever complain because there's someone somewhere in a worse situation than you' argument, which is daft.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Someone who isn't you is leaving their large house to move into a larger house and you find it "offensive" because there are other things going on in the world that are more important?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This sounds a lot like a 'don't ever complain because there's someone somewhere in a worse situation than you' argument, which is daft.

+1. For someone who "really (doesn't) care" he's sure spent a lot of time typing about this.

Also what FR said but I forgot to multi-quote.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
People like that should live in Tokyo for a year or two, then their unbearably small 2500 sqft hut all of a sudden will look like Taj Mahal.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
"American dream" - if i can dream it, someone should give me money to have it....

I feel like i'll slowly move into smaller places over time, and not bigger and bigger.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
who gives a shit what other people do?

its like my friends that had their first kid and now "need" a honda pilot because it has a third row. i may think to myself "you only have one kid, why do you need something like that", but in reality who gives a shit? i'm fine with whatever people do as long as it makes them happy and does not affect my life.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Why the fuck do people bother with facebook?

All I ever hear about facebook are complaints.

I was listening to Wierd Al's "Talk Soup" song yesterday, which is about people going on talk shows. I then realised that Facebook matches up with that song too.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
It does matter to me because the general public dictates the market. My house is very modest (1600 sq ft) for my neighborhood so it will not have high demand when it is time for me to sell.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It does matter to me because the general public dictates the market. My house is very modest (1600 sq ft) for my neighborhood so it will not have high demand when it is time for me to sell.

Demand is presumably driven by price relative to size rather than size alone.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is the conditioning of the American public by corporations over the last few decades.

All the houses built before 1980s are relatively small and manageable. There were no mansions, most houses have 2-3 bedrooms with 1-2 bathrooms and well under 2000 sqft. Now, houses like that don't sell, so builders buy them up relatively cheap, tear them down and rebuild a giant houses with 4-5 bedrooms and over 3000 sqft. They double the original asking price (and then some). The problem is that the McMansions sit in the same small size lot so they look out-of-place.

McMansions look out of place pretty much everywhere.

In NJ, most homes have a living room and a family room. I don't understand, since functionally they are identical. So most of my friends' living room is just some expensive furniture with a layer of dust because the family room is where they actually watch TV/talk.

A lot of that is because traditionally, the parlor was a space for entertaining (as well as social functioning including funerals).

This is all before TV, Phones and Internet. When people would visit each other.

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
Complaints about complaints on facebook are why I never fucking bothered with it. Do people on facebook still complain about lack of privacy? Because i always thought that was hilarious.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If anyone ever doubts smokes is a woman this is the thread to prove them wrong. I've got woman vibes from smokes for over a decade now, but this is the womanliest post you've ever made smokes.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Don't digress, LonSag, this is about "faith" in humanity.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I've heard of a country house. But this is a "cunty" house.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
jelly4.jpg