How do I power this consolized 1 slot?

20170603_174953.jpg
20170603_175027.jpg
20170114_145312.jpg
20170114_145350.jpg
20170114_145637.jpg

Hi all,

Got this consolised 1 slot as part of a larger job lot and was wondering if anyone on here can point me towards what I need to power this thing?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rob

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It depends on how it's wired up. If it's getting sound from the JAMMA edge then you most likely need a dual voltage PSU that supplies 5v and 12v. If he grabs sound directly off the sound DAC then just a normal 5v power supply with at least 2A.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It probably takes an Ault SC200 Dual Output PSU.

sc200-1.jpg

Thanks for that piece of information regarding the PSU.

I'll give it a try before tinkering.

Rob

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That is the ugliest cmvs... Is the PCB just floating in space?

Yeh it is comically ugly. The board is screwed in place, but yeah it sits off the Base of the saturn shell. It is going to be a sort of challenge accepted-style job for me to get it working.

It isn't critical or anything, as I run a AES with a Daedalus, however as I got it as part of a job lot for very little cash I will be pleased if I can coax it into life.

bwi

20 Year Member
whereabouts in the uk are you? I have a spare sc200 i could lend you. But reallly you need to get a multimeter on the wires to make sure. You can send it to me and i'll check if you desperate

I'm based in Bath. I've got a sc200 coming in now, however, thanks for the offer for sure. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to start tinkering (although as you can see from the wiring, that could be quite a mission). Do you have history with cmvs?

Ok, so i got the SC200 and plugged it in and now, while it receives power, I'm getting a white lined grid surrounded by a patch of blue lined grid.

Anyone got an idea what is wrong?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's normal with no cart inserted, if it's with a cart, it means it can't read the cart. Either the cart is dirty or the system contacts are dirty or the program rom in the cart is bad. Try another cart. If the same result, clean the contacts on the cart and system.

So, I cleaned everything out, especially the contacts on the board, and then it sprung to life:

Audio only comes out of one line and the cable has to be wiggled until a sweet spot is reached, but for all intents and purposes this fug-ugly system now works.

I'd like to personally thank Xian Xi, NGT, Lachlan, BWI and everyone else who replied to this thread, as I have got this up and running in a surprisingly fast amount of time thanks to your advice and commentary.

I can now keep running my AES downstairs and this new MVS upstairs, ensuring multiple floors of Neo-Geo goodness.

Thanks again guys!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This system isn't tapping the stereo audio. I would change that. It's an easy fix.

Hey,

Thanks for the analysis Neo Alec. Can you suggest what I should do to try and get stereo? Is it likely a loose/damaged connection?

Rob

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Nope. The stereo audio just isn't comnected on your system. Follow the instructions for the MV-1C stereo mod on Jamma Nation X if you can handle some fairly fine soldering. It's just two wires you need to connect to the DAC chip and run to the RCA output jacks. Looks like your system needs another hole drilled for the second audio jack too. It's a shame the builder didn't bother. But it doesn't look like they knew much.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the information Neo Alec. I've got no problem with some light soldering so will give it a go. Cheers!