Sony PVM 2950: sync issues

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
I got a BNC breakout cable (incl. sync cleaner circuit) for use with my PVM 2950QM, but when using my RGB cable for AES and other systems I get a rolling distorted screen as below.

- PVM was tested using a VCR and shows no sync issues;
- pin 8 on RGB cable is wired, so sync cleaner circuit should get power;
- I tested SNES, Saturn, MD, AES and only my PS1 gave a steady image - but it goes black after a few seconds and comes back on, repeated process.

Any help really appreciated.

f0iZgEhl.jpg

TUntIhJl.jpg

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I have this monitor and it's indeed a fickle bitch when it comes to sync.

How do you have the BNC cable hooked up in the back, are you using H, V or both for sync?

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
I have this monitor and it's indeed a fickle bitch when it comes to sync.

How do you have the BNC cable hooked up in the back, are you using H, V or both for sync?

Yeah, seems to be the case. I attached a pic to opening post how I have everything connected.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thanks, that looks correct to me.
I'll spare you the pain of trying to futz with resistor combo trial and errors for each cable and just say this thing right here works with everything I have.
http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html (I do not use the power adapter)

I made my own cleaner circuits etc with an LM1881, and it didn't matter most of the time - this monitor is fickle.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
2950 needs raw/stripped sync, looks like you're giving it composite as sync.
edit: my bad, didn't notice the mention of a sync stripper at first.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
Just picked up a couple 2950Q's. As I understand from my research...I will need:
1. Neo Geo to Euro Scart male cable
2. Euro female SCART to BNC adaptor cable
3. The Sync Strike Box linked above
4. Possibly some of the silver screw caps to seal off the unused ports in the back of the PVM?

Is this correct? Can somebody post a full pic showing the entire set up with connections in place?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Just picked up a couple 2950Q's. As I understand from my research...I will need:
1. Neo Geo to Euro Scart male cable
2. Euro female SCART to BNC adaptor cable
3. The Sync Strike Box linked above
4. Possibly some of the silver screw caps to seal off the unused ports in the back of the PVM?

Is this correct? Can somebody post a full pic showing the entire set up with connections in place?

If you do get a sync strike unit all you will need is:

A scart cable for your console(s)
the scart end of the above cable will plug into the input(female) of the sync strike unit
The output cable on the sync strike will be a vga to RGBHV BNC Cable (Female BNC leads) Like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-Black-V...for-HDTV-Extension-Monitor-Cable/180840774834

That cable will plug into the back of the pvm.

As for the screw caps, that's probably overkill but your call there.

Also the sync strike has audio outputs for L/R so you can run those to a stereo receiver for example.

Last edited:

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
If you do get a sync strike unit all you will need is:

A scart cable for your console(s)
the scart end of the above cable will plug into the input(female) of the sync strike unit
The output cable on the sync strike will be a vga to RGBHV BNC Cable (Female BNC leads) Like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-Black-V...for-HDTV-Extension-Monitor-Cable/180840774834

That cable will plug into the back of the pvm.

As for the screw caps, that's probably overkill but your call there.

Also the sync strike has audio outputs for L/R so you can run those to a stereo receiver for example.

Thanks. Edited my first reply cuz I misunderstood. Looks like VGA to BNC is the only way to go with this monitor.

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thanks. Edited my first reply cuz I misunderstood. Looks like VGA to BNC is the only way to go with this monitor.

No problem.
If you're going to use a sync strike, then yes it makes the most sense.
Now, if you're going to connect other sources that might just work without a sync strike (my supergun for example works fine without one) or say you want to use a component sourced console like a gamecube etc.
You can get a component switcher box and use the audio ports for the H/V lines.

Example:

Your component switch box has 4 source inputs and one output.
Input 1 - Sync Strike
Get male BNC tips for your rgbhv cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PC-BNC-Fe...538537?hash=item3accb55329:g:jvgAAOSwzaJX3AQY
Run the sync strike to this input using RGB on the component inputs, and use the L/R for your H/V

Input 2 - Gamecube
Connect Gamecube component cable to this input (note if playing a console via component, hit the RGB button on the remote to flip the tv off RGB and to component)

Input 3 - Supergun or device that doesn't need a sync strike
a male to male scart cable > Scart coupler > Male Scart to RGBHV BNC Cable

Output on your component switcher device will go to the input on your PVM.
You can simply use a Component cable that has RGB and L/R audio and add these connectors to the other end of the cables going into the PVM

That's how I do things at least, but it works.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
No problem.
If you're going to use a sync strike, then yes it makes the most sense.
Now, if you're going to connect other sources that might just work without a sync strike (my supergun for example works fine without one) or say you want to use a component sourced console like a gamecube etc.
You can get a component switcher box and use the audio ports for the H/V lines.

Example:

Your component switch box has 4 source inputs and one output.
Input 1 - Sync Strike
Get male BNC tips for your rgbhv cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/10PC-BNC-Fe...538537?hash=item3accb55329:g:jvgAAOSwzaJX3AQY
Run the sync strike to this input using RGB on the component inputs, and use the L/R for your H/V

Input 2 - Gamecube
Connect Gamecube component cable to this input (note if playing a console via component, hit the RGB button on the remote to flip the tv off RGB and to component)

Input 3 - Supergun or device that doesn't need a sync strike
a male to male scart cable > Scart coupler > Male Scart to RGBHV BNC Cable

Output on your component switcher device will go to the input on your PVM.
You can simply use a Component cable that has RGB and L/R audio and add these connectors to the other end of the cables going into the PVM

That's how I do things at least, but it works.

Very helpful. Thank you...much appreciated.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Input 2 - Gamecube

My GameCube works wonders with the RGB SCART cable (+LM1881 Sync separator). I don't know how hard it's to get a Component cable for the GC, but the SCART ones are quite simple to get and it's true RGB at least!

Edit : I just remembered that US GC's don't have RGB. Sucks :oh_no:

Last edited: