Trump.... buys new Beach Front Condo... in...

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
give away billions and billions of dollars for literally nothing in return..

yea wow this type of shit only makes sense to mf's w no money

Spending money on a common interest is not giving it away, and there's far from nothing in return.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Currently I'm not terribly concerned with it.

Some, on a volunteer basis...point being its voluntary because it's not actually important enough to be mandatory...that was the comparison...

Morals...don't apply here, it's politics and business. It was a hustle from the start, China's not gonna play fair and shoot itself in the foot economically if they don't have to.

It's hollow because it's not a *binding* agreement. No penalty for failure.

If climate change is really as important as the media says it is, it really deserves more than *intentions* on paper.

Got it. You don't think it's important until it is treated seriously by politicians who are elected based on guessing what you think is important.

Joseph Heller would be proud.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Got it. You don't think it's important until it is treated seriously by politicians who are elected based on guessing what you think is important.

Joseph Heller would be proud.

Nooooo not at all actually, in your above statement politicians are *guessing* at popularity for policy. Not facts. We need to do what's factually correct, not what's popular. We've all heard many times now that "The case is closed on global warming, it's man made and it's a fact." So...why didn't the paris accord treat it as the threat they've been telling us it is? Why didn't Obama even bother submitting it to congress for approval??

Your first posts in the thread were fuck Trump, I'm disgusted and boycott US goods. I would assume either you like being on the fuck Trump for anything bandwagon or you have real, legitimate global warming concerns and feel like the US pulling out does pose a very real threat. If it's the former, your entitled to your opinion...if it's the latter...I'm saying peoples anger at Trump is misplaced. They should be highly upset with the people that formed a document that won't fix the problem they're concerned about. The paris accord currently is a hustle for the US and any other developed nation that more or less plays by the rules.

It shouldn't be fuck Trump for leaving a poorly written agreement, is should be fuck those who crafted such a poorly designed plan from the start.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Nooooo not at all actually, in your above statement politicians are *guessing* at popularity for policy. Not facts. We need to do what's factually correct, not what's popular. We've all heard many times now that "The case is closed on global warming, it's man made and it's a fact." So...why didn't the paris accord treat it as the threat they've been telling us it is? Why didn't Obama even bother submitting it to congress for approval??

Your first posts in the thread were fuck Trump, I'm disgusted and boycott US goods. I would assume either you like being on the fuck Trump for anything bandwagon or you have real, legitimate global warming concerns and feel like the US pulling out does pose a very real threat. If it's the former, your entitled to your opinion...if it's the latter...I'm saying peoples anger at Trump is misplaced. They should be highly upset with the people that formed a document that won't fix the problem they're concerned about. The paris accord currently is a hustle for the US and any other developed nation that more or less plays by the rules.

It shouldn't be fuck Trump for leaving a poorly written agreement, is should be fuck those who crafted such a poorly designed plan from the start.

You've just said the same thing again in a different order. Your whole argument is a circular reference.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
The biggest joke is that people think that Big Coal will come back.

Do people think that? Like for real? Is there anyone that dumb? The coal industry is a hundred year old geriatric fuck. taking a cocktail of pills to stay alive. Remembering the good old days, and revered by some morons as some kind of hero. The coal industry is Kirk Douglas. Lot of people forget he raped Natalie wood. Kinda like how coal ruined life for millions of people who died on the job or died from the job. Coal and Kirk. A couple of blights in their respective industries.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Do people think that? Like for real? Is there anyone that dumb? .

Yes.

These people in coal county believe that the only reason why coal is sliding is because of environmental rules.
They don't understand that it just can't compete with natural gas. These are the same yuck yucks who were chanting "Drill Here, Drill Now".
Congratulations, you just chanted away your own industry.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Ask California how that Hydrogen fleet is coming along since they jumped the gun and decided that the reason no one had fuel cell cars on the market was because there was no support infrastructure.

Ask the federal government how well they were able to make people buy ethanol and at what cost.

Ask Elon Musk where all of his Model 3 buyers will be when the subsidies run out.

If the agreement was non-binding then what the fuck is it worth anyway?

'Fixing' the planet is a proposition that will bankrupt major economic powers. It is nice to talk about it but until fossil fuels and oil specifically get to a point where alternatives are naturally competitive and not subsidized into competitiveness, then it is like a quadruple amputee climbing Everest. It will only get done on the backs of others.

lithy

20 Year Member
Citizens support the agreement. Only Trump and Trump apologists like you do not.

So "Trump apologists" aren't citizens? Or not true citizens at least, I guess.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You've just said the same thing again in a different order. Your whole argument is a circular reference.

That's what passes for debate in America.

So "Trump apologists" aren't citizens? Or not true citizens at least, I guess.

That's clearly not what I said, unless your comprehension is limited to boolean logic.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member

'Fixing' the planet is a proposition that will bankrupt major economic powers. It is nice to talk about it but until fossil fuels and oil specifically get to a point where alternatives are naturally competitive and not subsidized into competitiveness, then it is like a quadruple amputee climbing Everest. It will only get done on the backs of others.

Well, you answered your own question - it's non-binding because it involves basic research into as-yet-unknown technologies that will improve the efficiency of renewable power sources. We can use statistics to estimate the impact of spending, and the resulting efficiency increases, but we can't guarantee it. No one wants to bankrupt themselves if the research doesn't turn out well.

That's not an excuse to give up without trying.

lithy

20 Year Member
Well, you answered your own question - it's non-binding because it involves basic research into as-yet-unknown technologies that will improve the efficiency of renewable power sources. We can use statistics to estimate the impact of spending, and the resulting efficiency increases, but we can't guarantee it. No one wants to bankrupt themselves if the research doesn't turn out well.

That's not an excuse to give up without trying.

It is a perfectly good reason for the government to give up without trying.

One of the things that people are consistently upset with the federal government about is corporate tax breaks and subsidies. This is what we are talking about doing, only because the tech is 'green' then I guess the feds picking winners and losers instead of a market need is all of the sudden perfectly ok. Anything is better than nothing they say. An inefficient tech boosted by federal money hinders real advances, and ultimately the tech will develop when there is a need.

This sort of stuff is ok for states and local governments to decide, but the feds will not be able to figure out a 50 state solution without a significant amount of unintended consequences. The federal government is enormously bloated as is, I would prefer to avoid having to stifle an entire economy in a vain attempt at 'solving' something that we don't actually know has a fix.

lithy

20 Year Member
That's clearly not what I said, unless your comprehension is limited to boolean logic.

Then help me understand the statement "Citizens support the agreement", if in fact not all citizens support the agreement. You are appealing to a majority. "Well everybody wants this so you should too.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member

I fundamentally disagree. Basic research is essential and does not receive appropriate effort in a market. You cannot give up incentivizing it. To do so would be catastrophic for science and engineering in general.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

One of the things that people are consistently upset with the federal government about is corporate tax breaks and subsidies. This is what we are talking about doing, only because the tech is 'green' then I guess the feds picking winners and losers instead of a market need is all of the sudden perfectly ok. Anything is better than nothing they say. An inefficient tech boosted by federal money hinders real advances, and ultimately the tech will develop when there is a need.

This sort of stuff is ok for states and local governments to decide, but the feds will not be able to figure out a 50 state solution without a significant amount of unintended consequences. The federal government is enormously bloated as is, I would prefer to avoid having to stifle an entire economy in a vain attempt at 'solving' something that we don't actually know has a fix.

Not sure how pulling out of the Paris accord will ameliorate the dissatisfaction with corporate tax breaks and subsidies. Seems more likely that it will allow people to escalate their anger at the government for letting corporations rape their environments and poison their kids. Think of all the people who developed cancer from waste dumping without proper regulatory standards. I mean, i get it. You're happy with the detachment from the modern world and soon the neo-geo.com firearm thread will become relevant again as we slide into anarchy, but the function of government should be to protect its people, and it is clear that Trump's cronies are not willing to uphold that responsibility.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ask California how that Hydrogen fleet is coming along since they jumped the gun and decided that the reason no one had fuel cell cars on the market was because there was no support infrastructure.

Ask the federal government how well they were able to make people buy ethanol and at what cost.

Ask Elon Musk where all of his Model 3 buyers will be when the subsidies run out.

How come we never hear about the hole in the Ozone Layer anymore?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I would prefer to avoid having to stifle an entire economy in a vain attempt at 'solving' something that we don't actually know has a fix.

What makes you think that it would stifle an economy?

Naika

Street Hoop Star

meme3.png

lithy

20 Year Member
there was a time you seemed genuinely unhappy about having more than thousand posts.

Indeed. It was just there all the time, staring at me, mocking me, a constant reminder of a life wasted. Bring back member numbers.

There was a time when 10k posts was some unthinkable number only to be seen by Bobak or absorbing FeelGood.

Time makes fools of us all.

lithy

20 Year Member
Ft. Sanders makes fools of us all.

First time I was ever stupid drunk was in the fort. Trash can punch.

It has been 5 years since I stepped foot in Knoxville proper (West of Campbell's Station doesn't really count right?), but probably 10 years since I have been in the fort.