Nintendo Virtual boy questions

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Looking to get a virtual boy console setup. Ive seen ntsc and japan consoles on ebay. Are they region locked? advantage to either? Lastly game recommendations?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Nope, not region locked. JP is usually cheaper. The AC adapter connector on the back of the controller is different depending on region (as it either fits the SFC adapter or SNES adapter which are not the same). However this piece is interchangeable.

Wario Land is a solid side scroller, although doesn't make the best use of 3D. Teleroboxer is surprisingly fun, similar to punch out in terms of mechanics and patterns plus makes the best use of 3D. Vertical Force is a solid vertical shmup by Hudson, so similar to the soldier series of games.

The VB gets a lot of hate, but is definitely a fun novelty to play around with. Just don't expect it to become part of your regular gaming routine.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Damaged vision ahoy!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Damaged vision ahoy!

Please stop spreading this myth. Virtual Boy doesn't pose a threat to vision quality. There's an active VB fanbase over at planetvb.com and nobody there has gone blind, myself included.

The Virtual Boy sold best in the USA, that's your best bet for getting a cheap system. Nearly all need the display ribbon cables to be soldered, sign up for planetvb.com and PM HP Lovethrash. The VB is region free, feel free to buy games from where ever they're cheapest for you.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Just read up on it and HMG is right. I was a believer of the myth until now. Apparently Nintendo just suggests that children under 7 not use it because their eyesight is still in development. Same thing with 3DS apparently. Thanks for clearing that up HMG.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
It is the same thing on 3DS. Eyes at that age aren't completely developed and if you start using 3D stuff enough as they finalize you'll possibly jack your vision up and need glasses which Nintendo wouldn't want to get sued over (much like their seizure warnings, then later the health and safety popups.) I've had 3 VBs over the years, originally when it was on the market. I could stay using one for hours and never got crossed eyes, headaches, vertigo, or any other of those mythical problems it caused.

I'd like to own one again but the expense sucks and the library is too small, but growing though in recent years with swiped and released protos, and other honorable homebrew of high quality. I could see just buying one plus a flashboy kit and be happy.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Virtual Boy Wario Land is a masterpiece.

Other good ones:
Mario Clash
Mario's Tennis
Teleroboxer
Galactic Pinball

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I used a Virtual Boy so much as a teenager that I damaged my eyes and started seeing everything in 3D all the time ... it was horrible.

On a serious note, Virtual Boys are notorious for having the ribbon cable that connects each eye piece to the main board becoming loose because the glue that Nintendo used dries up. As such, it's worth tracking down a unit that has already had that issue repaired.

More details on the issue here: http://www.projectvb.com/displayfix.html

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Thanks guys for that. I will be looking into getting one soon. Awesome.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
My favorite games have already been recommended, but I'd also add V-Tetris. It's a surprisingly good adaptation and cheap.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I'd also add V-Tetris. It's a surprisingly good adaptation and cheap.

I can't think of a more milquetoast VB game to recommend. Yes, Tetris is good if you like it, but it doesn't take advantage of the VB's unique hardware. At least get 3D Tetris if you must stack tetrominoes.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
How has no one mentioned Jack Bros yet? I suppose other than the fact that it's the priciest US game out there... Great game though.

Worth noting, since you're talking about region free, that 3D Tetris and V-Tetris are two different games (one came out in each region), just about the only instance that happened from US to JP.

Might be worth trying to track down a Flashboy+ -- I have the full US set of games for mine, and I still keep the Flashboy+ around for the protos and homebrew, including that sweet sweet SFII lovin.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Worth noting, since you're talking about region free, that 3D Tetris and V-Tetris are two different games (one came out in each region), just about the only instance that happened from US to JP.

Don't forget about Virtual Bowling vs. Nester's Funky Bowling. Not that either are the most thrilling of games...

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I used a Virtual Boy so much as a teenager that I damaged my eyes and started seeing everything in 3D all the time ... it was horrible.

On a serious note, Virtual Boys are notorious for having the ribbon cable that connects each eye piece to the main board becoming loose because the glue that Nintendo used dries up. As such, it's worth tracking down a unit that has already had that issue repaired.

More details on the issue here: http://www.projectvb.com/displayfix.html

Pretty sure this happened to mine years ago. I should get around to fixing it one of these days.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Don't forget about Virtual Bowling vs. Nester's Funky Bowling. Not that either are the most thrilling of games...

I totally did! I don't think I realized Nester's didn't come out in JP. The only legit import I would want is Tetris, personally. And maybe Innsmouth because I adore Lovecraft...

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Skipped half the posts sorry, only difference really is power, Japanese is different from USA, so make sure you get the right AC adapter. Carts all work the same. I was lucky to get some translated carts and hyper fighter.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
It's 100v vs. 110v, which rarely makes any difference to the hardware. We're not talking about Europe's 220v here.

Ive seen ntsc and japan consoles on ebay.
Japan uses NTSC, just like North America. Europe and various other places use PAL. The Virtual Boy is neither NTSC nor PAL though, because it doesn't connect to a TV.

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Also the part the AC adapter plugs into is interchangeable between regions, so you could make any region work for you just by swapping that out

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
It's 100v vs. 110v, which rarely makes any difference to the hardware. We're not talking about Europe's 220v here.

Japan uses NTSC, just like North America. Europe and various other places use PAL. The Virtual Boy is neither NTSC nor PAL though, because it doesn't connect to a TV.

The Virtual Boy's LCD screens run at 50hz, making it technically a PAL console. The official VB development unit could output to an RGB monitor or PAL TV.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
The Virtual Boy's LCD screens run at 50hz, making it technically a PAL console. The official VB development unit could output to an RGB monitor or PAL TV.

That's pretty cool. It'd be pretty fun if there was a tv out mod for the VB.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member

It's the connector

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The connector we're talking about is basically the ac adapter right? It's actually the one the SNES uses and it just has that plastic clip that has a jack on it to feed power into the VB. Not much of a concern really.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
It's basically the interface between the controller and the snes adapter. Or you can get one that uses aa batteries and eliminate all voltage concerns

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
You could, but the VB battery pack takes 6 AA batteries and eats them in a few hours. The AC adapter is the most cost effective in the end.

To truly clarify here, the "AC Adapter Tap" plugs into the controller, which then plugs into the VB console headset. The USA Tap takes a USA SNES AC adapter, with its custom barrel connector. The Japanese tap takes a Super Famicom adapter which is compatible with various consoles of the time period, like Genesis/MD and Famicom (not NES, you'll kill your VB with an official NES AC adapter).