Sony Trinitron best way?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Sony Trinitrons are highly regarded CRT TV's. People like the FS120 series, and the FV300/310 (I personally like to stay at 27" - others are just friggin HUGE). Plenty of great Panasonics, Toshibas, JVC's, etc. as well. Just see which models people seek out and try to get as recent as you can as these things are rarely from past 2005/7ish - so they're already pretty long in the tooth.

Lots of people also like Sony PVM/BVM monitors and other professional grade monitors (other companies made these as well), but you're usually talking some big bucks (compared to a cheap or free Trinitron), unless you happen to luck into a free one (which does/can happen).

I'm also not up to date on the different connection methods people like best for Neo Geo, so that's certainly something to research how you're going to connect your system to the TV and to make sure you get one with the appropriate connections.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I'm also not up to date on the different connection methods people like best for Neo Geo, so that's certainly something to research how you're going to connect your system to the TV and to make sure you get one with the appropriate connections.

He's from Germany so a SCART cable is definitely the best option for him IMO.

Also, Trinitron TVs are great but they're mass produced which means that geometry can be an issue sometimes, especially on the bigger tubes. Like Dochartaigh, I prefer 27" TVs an below.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Trinitrons are great, but I will never recommend a flat one. The KV-27S42 is a great model in the US, and I'm sure you can find an equivalent European unit.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Pvm 2130qm is a trinitron. I used to have one.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
If I was in Germany I'd be looking for a Loewe or B&O before a Sony. Higher end Toshiba's are excellent too. Not sure what models (if any) Toshiba had in Germany but in the US the Cinema Series Tosh's were excellent and I wished I had my old 32" Cinema Series over the couple of Sony Wegas I have now. My Loewe crushes both the Sony's I've got though. Hard to beat a Loewe...

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
B&O mx series are also great with lots of options in the sevice menu.

metoo3

n00b
Since you're in Germany I vote for the B&O MX series. 28" MX7000 is quite decent.
Every once in a while one of them pops up for free. I removed the front glass of the MX7000 and couldn't be happier.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Trinitrons are great, but I will never recommend a flat one. The KV-27S42 is a great model in the US, and I'm sure you can find an equivalent European unit.

I find a lot of flatscreen Sonys have major red push, sometimes making red appear orangish/too saturated. Depending upon the model it can be fixed, other times not really so either live with it or compromise.

Last edited:

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
It's always going to be personal preference but i find the sony's to be nicer than the b&o's. Sony's (all?) have a servicemenu where you can adjust everything like geometry etc. A nice not too old or worn out bvm does have a slightly better picture but seeing the prices these go for i'd say fuck that, its not worth the effort nor premium

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I converted mine to 5v, as many do by bypassing the voltage regulator. I picked out a 5v AC adapter with the same tip size from a local junk store. Unfortunately the polarity was wrong so I had to open the power supply and reverse the connection.

I think the converter takes 12v out of the box.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
My favorite Sony tube is the FV300. The FS lineup is perfectly decent as well though. Favorites sizes are 20 and 24. 27 and up I can't manage on my own so that's a bummer if I ever need to move the tv to open it up and work on it. Also why I never tried an FV310 because it only comes in 27 inch and up. I hear it's arguably even better than FV300 due to having eliminated geometrical distortion from high brightness, but then again I kind of like that peculiarity of crt's...

Last edited: