Friday the 13th - The Game released on Steam!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The games just dropped on Steam today. Is anyone playing it?

I'm about 6 hours in and while the game is still very buggy, it is a shitload of fun playing as both Jason and the councillors. It hit number 1 on Twitch too. I am just wondering if it's all hype and once it dies off, so will the majority of players. Most likely.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It looks awesome, but it'll be dead in 24 hours just like the camp counselors then everyone will go back to grinding their preferred game for pointless skins.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It looks really fun. is the Jason mode better than the teen mode?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It looks really fun. is the Jason mode better than the teen mode?

It's more fun to play as Jason, stalking the councillors, but playing as the hunted is also just as engaging and rewarding in its own way.

The online matches are randomised in that you don't know if you'll be Jason or a councillor. You can set a spawn preference as Jason but that does not necessarily mean you'll get him.

Overall it is a very fun game that relies on good team work and communication to beat Jason as he is extremely overpowered and dominating.

Right now the game is plagued with bugs and server issues which the devs are working to resolve but it's affecting initial impressions and responses to the game big time. It could even bury the game if they don't resolve the issues soon. Some people have not even been able to connect to a server. Luckily, I haven't had that issue. I just want my damn Steam achievements and in-game badges, perks and XP to be solid; they're clearly doing in-production rollbacks and it's fucking with things.

It feels like we're all beta testers, and we've paid the $40 bucks to do the testing. They shouldn't have released the game yet as it isn't ready.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The concept is pretty cool but the graphics leave much to be desired.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I played it for a few hours yesterday with friends. It's pretty fun, although I have yet to see the counselors win a round. There's definitely not enough content or gameplay depth yet to justify the price tag - $15 would be the correct price. Agreed that the graphics are a bit plain for a modern PC game, but they nailed the soundtrack and overall ambience. Bonus points for the 80s VHS tape opening studio logos as well.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I played this pretty much all weekend. I've been a massive Friday the 13th fan since I was about 9 years old, so obviously was in on the kickstarter on day one.

The game is full of bugs and far from perfect, but it is so much fun it hasn't bothered me at all. Obviously it is better being Jason, but it's so intense being a counselor that it makes it almost as enjoyable. Getting to be Jason and wipe everyone out is one of the most satisfying things I've ever experienced in a game.

I'm hoping they sort the servers out soon, otherwise I worry that players will disappear out of frustration.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That's basically where I'm at with it. I've clocked about 40 hours on it so far and am really enjoying it. I hope they release some more content for it in the future as I could see it getting stale in its current state - I hear a single player campaign is in the works.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
That's basically where I'm at with it. I've clocked about 40 hours on it so far and am really enjoying it. I hope they release some more content for it in the future as I could see it getting stale in its current state - I hear a single player campaign is in the works.

Yeah, I'm hoping considering how well it has done that they keep adding. I'd love them to add Roy as one of the Jason options. He could be like a Dan from Street Fighter character, a bit of a joke killer, who isn't very good. Or how about more ways to kill Jason apart from the overly complicated one we have so far? It'd be great if as Tommy you could find a chain, take the boat, and when Jason attacks there could be a quick time to wrap the chain around him and sink him to the bottom of the lake, like part 6.

As you can tell, this game has made me geek out a bit.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
all the gameplay I've seen looks bugged out as hell. Absolutely want to play but I hope they patch it soon

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
People playing as Jason should have their mics disabled.
Jason shouldn't be able to teleport.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Why this didn't release as Early Access is beyond me. It does look fun, but it sounds like right now the $40 gets you access to something less polished than 90% of betas.

edit: how is it playing with randoms? From most of the footage I've seen it appears that Jason will destroy lone wolves and/or people who aren't playing "right."

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
People playing as Jason should have their mics disabled.
Jason shouldn't be able to teleport.

Although the maps aren't big, finding everyone in the time allowed would be near impossible without the teleport.

edit: how is it playing with randoms? From most of the footage I've seen it appears that Jason will destroy lone wolves and/or people who aren't playing "right."

I have been playimg with random people and it has been fine. Sometimes being a lone wolf is a positive because Jason is less likely to sense you. I've managed to get a car together and escape on my own, while Jason is going after a group.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I had a great session going lone. Called the cops, then ran the perimeter on the path to where I assumed they would arrive. Jason turns up with 30 seconds to go until arrival, I stun him with fireworks, 15 seconds to go, he gets up and I see him teleport to go in for the grab, I side-step and wack him with my axe and he goes down. Cops arrive and I'm racing to their flashing lights, Jason is up on close behind. I escape and the cops fire bullets into Jason. :-J

Totally staisfying and I did it on my own. Trolling the Jason when the match was over was equally satisfying.

Great fucking game!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I had a great session going lone. Called the cops, then ran the perimeter on the path to where I assumed they would arrive. Jason turns up with 30 seconds to go until arrival, I stun him with fireworks, 15 seconds to go, he gets up and I see him teleport to go in for the grab, I side-step and wack him with my axe and he goes down. Cops arrive and I'm racing to their flashing lights, Jason is up on close behind. I escape and the cops fire bullets into Jason. :-J

Totally staisfying and I did it on my own. Trolling the Jason when the match was over was equally satisfying.

Great fucking game!

That sounds great. I still haven't seen the cops shoot at Jason. Isn't the point the cops arrive between 2 locations, either side of the map? Lucky you picked the right side to wait, or you'd have been screwed :lolz:

I was in a lobby Sunday where everyone was being Jason 3 because he can run. Each round the Jason was killing about 4 people. My turn comes up and I can hear the chat at the start saying "He's picked Jason 6, this is going to be easy, he can't even run!". I annihilated all 8 of them (including Tommy), in less than 10 minutes. So satisfying!

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah man, I had a 50/50 of picking the right location, which I did, otherwise I was dog meat!

Hahaha, I've had a couple of flawless victories now and yeah, it's awesome! Especially when the councillors are trolling you.