PSTV custom FW/hack help? Suggestions?

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Interesting. Too bad you need a vita with the 3G modem. I'm curious if the wifi only models still had the onboard port so you could install ( though you wouldn't be able to easily access the sd card). I have a 1001 model that's been sitting in a drawer forever. Most vita only games I could care to play you can use the vita tv or ported to PS4/ pc. Dunno, I might just sell it to someone here to play with.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Also you need to change your primary DNS settings on your vita wifi to 212.47.229.76 to manually download the 3.60 firmware directly from a specific server. You can't use the official one and if you try, Sony might stealth update your firmware all the way.....at least thats what i've been told happens lol

http://wololo.net/2016/08/09/manually-update-ps-vita-firmware-3-60/

so once you get the right firmware message as seen above go ahead and upgrade.

Then install HENkaku

http://henkaku.xyz/

To install it simply type this > https://henkaku.xyz in your vita's browser and it'll take over from there and it should install MoleculeShell automatically. Sometimes you might get a certain error. if so shut it off and try again. Eventually you'll get it. Also once you have MoleculeShell installed, you can reinstall HENkaku much quicker and easier right from the main menu.

What MoleculeShell is, is what you will use to transfer .vpk installation files using a FTP client like filezilla to the Vita memory card. There are 2 .vpk files you need. VitaShell and Adrenaline but more on that later.

in MoleculeShell go to Henkaku settings and turn on allow unsafe mode so you can start installing stuff. Then scroll down to reboot.

reinstall moleculeshell and launch. Once in, press select. it'll enter ftp mode and show an IP address. Plug that address into your FTP application and connect to the Vita.

then get VitaShell.vpk file

https://github.com/TheOfficialFloW/VitaShell/releases/tag/1.61

copy it to the ux0 folder on the Vita using FTP. Then on the Vita, click it and it ask to install. Go ahead and do so.

Now that you have VitaShell you can plug in your vita to a computer and it'll read it as a removable device. It works a lot like Molecule except pressing select triggers USB mode instead of FTP mode. You should be able to see most of your folders on your computer. Unfortunately the ones you need are hidden so you have to go to your folder options in PC's Control Panel > File Explorer Options and set it to show hidden files.

View attachment 44962

should look like that. Now you should have full access.

Thats it for now. I'll post the rest (mainly how to install Adrenaline) below if you want. Or if you have any questions let me know.

Never got around to thanking you for this! Going through the steps right now - would love to hear more about Adrenaline. Thanks again!

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
one other question - does molecule still need to be reinstalled via the site every single time I power on?

Like, is there no way to mod the system permanently?!

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
one other question - does molecule still need to be reinstalled via the site every single time I power on?

Like, is there no way to mod the system permanently?!

Molecule is a softmod. If you turn off vs go into standby, then yes every time

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
The perm henkaku should be out next month, so I'm definitely interested in that. Doing the email mod when "remote" from wifi sucks sometimes to get it to load.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
it's been ages since I touched my PSTV, but it's been plugged in. Guess we'll see if i'm running the right FW to test this out.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The perm henkaku should be out next month, so I'm definitely interested in that. Doing the email mod when "remote" from wifi sucks sometimes to get it to load.

good to know. unfortunately my PSTV firmware is too high already (decided a long time ago to keep it legit). Next chance i get im definitely hacking it to pieces and turning into a consolized PSP

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Yeah a permanent hack will make me revisit this - as it is now, it's too much a pain in the ass

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah a permanent hack will make me revisit this - as it is now, it's too much a pain in the ass

Really? I dont find the current hack painful at all. Maybe its because its the same as how my psp has been for years but i dont mind booting CFW everytime. Especially on Vita where you the app bubble right there. Just click it on power up and it does the rest.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Enso is up, so we have perm cfw on 3.60. super easy to install. I have the sd2vita adapter with 128gb now. Some psxretroarch here I come...

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Time to dust off the old PSTV and give this a try. Thanks for the heads up wyndcrosser!