Do you like Andro Dunos?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm surprised at all the love for Andro Dunos. I've always hated it

What did you hate about it? I'm just curious about the other side of the coin. Controls are perfect, hit-detection crisp and the action frantic. True, it's not a special f/x bonanza, but that could be seen as an asset.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

i never hated it, but never payed much attention to it either. alpha mission 2 always seemed like the more attractive game to me. will play andro dunos today to refresh my memory of the game and to see how i like it.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Historically, I think a lot of the dislike was because it underutilized the potential of the console. It didn't make sense to sell what people basically saw as a Mega Drive game at such a premium price.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Historically, I think a lot of the dislike was because it underutilized the potential of the console. It didn't make sense to sell what people basically saw as a Mega Drive game at such a premium price.

I think that's part of it, honestly other than the color pallet I'd say it would be a poorly compared shooter to the mega drive library too. As a whole it just felt clunky to me, maybe I just didn't adjust to it well.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

this makes sense. i think the same could also be said about the beat em ups on the neo. the genesis/megadrive and snes had way more to offer and for a fraction of the price.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I also discovered a hidden gem today too as well, it's a fun horizontal beat-em-up called Burning Fight. It looks and plays almost like a Neo clone of Final Fight. I think I've heard of this title before but never gave it much thought, until now.

Anyone else a fan of this game?

Wow, burning fight looks like a pretty fun beat'em up!

I too have unearthed a hidden gem for the neo geo, it's a fun puzzle game called Puzzled. It looks and plays almost like a Neo clone of Tetris. I only some magazine screenshots of it awhile back, but didn't really think about it till the other night.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I see I wasn't the only one with that Christopher-Columbus-"discovered"-America feeling.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

This actually reminds me of another historical argument, that "the press" often used to destroy a games' carrier from the start... "it's way too short, after a couple of continues I was done with it for good". Right, in this regard, let's throw away nearly every arcade game in existence, just because morons didn't grasp the coin-op vs. 1cc concept.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It's one I've never given much attention. When I've wanted to play a shooter on the NG I've always picked something that 'looks' better, like Blazing Star, Aero Fighters 2 and 3, or Zed Blade. It looks like it has plenty of fans on here, so maybe I will give it another try on the weekend and see if it holds my attention more this time.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If only Captain Tomaday would be as solid as Dunos, but maybe I'm just too conservative to grasp the former. Cute'em ups are in short supply on the Neo, time to mellow expectations.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
I love Andro Dunos (specially the japanese AES version). As a shooter, it works perfectly, controls are amazingly responsive. A good option for fun in NEO-GEO's library.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I love Andro Dunos (specially the japanese AES version). As a shooter, it works perfectly, controls are amazingly responsive. A good option for fun in NEO-GEO's library.

I feel that the English MVS version is superior to the Japanese AES version.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Its a decent game but not that much worth playing,i'd rather play Pulstar!
Andro Dunos looks like a beutiful Genesis game, no more, no less!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I think people get kinder to the older Neo games as time goes on. Nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses and a longing for the good ole days and whatnot.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I think people get kinder to the older Neo games as time goes on. Nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses and a longing for the good ole days and whatnot.

Kind of a one-sided view here. Maybe people just experienced enough to appreciate games aside from the mainstream dictate? Tastes can evolve, mature eventually -- just like skills, which now allow you to get into a gameplay, you didn't bother to touch because of previous incomprehension.

On the other hand... you're goddamn right.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have no nostalgia for Andro Dunos. I had never played it before these last few years and I still enjoy it. I'm not saying it's as good as Pulstar or anything but it's fun, and I love the music

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I discovered a little gem the other day too. It's a fun vs. fighting game. It looks and plays almost like a Neo clone of Street Fighter. I think I've heard of this title before but never gave it much thought until now.

It's called Fatal Fury.

Anyone else a fan of that game?

What is this Fatal Fury you speak of? Is it a violent game of sorts? :lolz:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
If Andro Dunos was a PCE game, everyone would be loving it hard.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I got a nostalgic soft spot for andro dunos, played it a lot on a four slot in the local arcade many years ago.
It's a tidy little shooter, but get's way too difficult for my puny skill's after a couple of levels.
It could easily pass for a megadrive shooter though, nothing fancy about it graphically or sound wise compared to, say, blazing star or pulster, which are also both better shooters on the system IMO.

Double Reppuken

NGFL Member., xROTx,
I also discovered a hidden gem today too as well, it's a fun horizontal beat-em-up called Burning Fight. It looks and plays almost like a Neo clone of Final Fight. I think I've heard of this title before but never gave it much thought, until now.

lol... on a serious note Burning Fight has to be one of the worst games on Neo. Way worse than Final Fight on SNES. I'm sure there's already a worst games thread, this one must make top 10

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
lol... on a serious note Burning Fight has to be one of the worst games on Neo. Way worse than Final Fight on SNES. I'm sure there's already a worst games thread, this one must make top 10

What do you use to gauge a game's quality/competency?

Comparing an arcade game to a bare bones console port of a different arcade game?
You make the top 10 losers list!

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Yes, I like it. The NG has only a handful official great shooters (ghost pilots, pulstar, blazing star, last resort) and a few so so (tomato, twinkle) but I like this one!
When I showed it to my brother and asked him what system this was (md, pce, snes, sgx or neo geo) he thought it was MD.
So it is not that graphically intense but I love it!

Don't forget ironclad. That game is awesome.