So I saw Alien Covenant. I am pissed (spoiler free rant)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

GO GO... GOOD ALIEN FILM!

xROTx

PS. I love Honest Trailers... the Catwoman one is awesome:D

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I completely understand that viewpoint. The issue I guess I am having is that he is stretching here and opening a can of worms with new questions that he will not answer. I cannot believe that David is the creator of the Xenomorph. If that is what his intention is, then he has done the Alien franchise and Xenomorph species a disservice.

Well, that's what I believe he's saying.

The reason for this is because there would be no reason for Scott to film the movie the way he has and have David at the center of its creation if it were anything else.

From Scott's point of view, why should he care about the franchise and its canon? That's for fans to worry about. Scott's doing his own thing now.

As for this franchise and disservices, this franchise has long been shat on by David Giler, Walter Hill, Fox and Brandywine.

Only a director with the intensity and uncompromising nature of James Cameron could have made a sequel to Alien the way he wanted to make it. There has been so much producer and studio meddling in this property over the years that it's a wonder Aliens turned out as good as it did.

The sad truth is that Alien as a franchise is terrible. It's had two legit good movies.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What if the company knows about David's experiments somehow and they want to see what their creation was able to accomplish, thus setting up Weyland-Yutani's interest in having the Nostromo bring it home?

This is what I want to know...I've gone back and forth on whether Weyland Yutani actually knew some other life form existed. Either way it's clear in Alien, Prometheus, and Covenant that we on Earth do not know of the existence of alien life.

I always figured Weyland Yutani didn't know alien life existed, but considered it's discovery (And monetization/exploitation) so important that they'd sacrifice everything to bring it back to earth...with these two films though, I'm wondering if they somehow didn't know.

I always thought Ash was the scariest part of Alien.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I sort of see Gladiator as modern day Shakespeare. It's plebeian entertainment for the masses that is designed to please crowds while making covert statements about existing power structures and attitudes.

It's got an important hero betrayed by those who covet what he has.

It's got a downfall from grace followed by a steady progression towards justice.

It's got transparent political intrigues that are easy for audiences to comprehend in bite sized scenes.

It's got poison in the climax, the death of most of the principle players and a sort of nebulous uncertainty about what the future holds. All we know at the end of the film is that the ones responsible for the problem are dead. So, too, is the hero who can never reclaim the idyll of his previously tranquil and satisfying life, departed from the realm of mortals.

Now, don't mistake this for me saying this is as 'great' as Shakespeare's works or anything like that. I'm just saying that it follows that blueprint is all.

EDIT: A lot of creative literary works follow that template. But Gladiator seems to almost be a tribute to Shakespeare.

Titus Andronicus for the faint of heart?

Off topic, but have you seen Coriolanus with Ralph Fiennes?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Thanks for setting my expectations so low as that really made this movie tolerable. I was really excited for this movie up until its release. I ended up skipping it in theatres based on all the initial reviews. It was bad, but thankfully i didn't care.

The alien stuff was quite good. The Animations, the variety, All quite good.

Anything involving an Android was terrible. Nothing to add that hasn't already been stated here.
I guess Ridley decided Android fluff > Engineer ambiguity.

I was thoroughly confused by the end. I didn't know what or why, but that was probably because I didn't care. Didn't care about the plot or the characters.

I'm afraid it will be 10 years before we get another Alien movie. I don't think any studio will want to touch it after this unless Sigorney Weaver leads the charge.

...maybe we'll get a good graphic novel or something....