PC Engine Question (Not a repair/mod thread)

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Can't really find anything like this anywhere, figured I'd ask here.

Bought this PCE and it works perfect, no complaints.

Didn't want it modded because I'm plugging this into an XM29+ and my Duo-R looked fucking amazing with the standard composite. Click on the thumbnail - the picture won't upload for some reason:

Sp I plugged this in to the monitor and the picture is sharp (as I expected), but it's a bit "dim" - the colors seem a bit dulled and not as bright as I remember them being:

SB_screen.jpg

There's no jailbars, but there is VERY slight artifacting - it's so slight that I only noticed it because I've been playing in RGB for years and the change in quality was a bit jarring.

My first PCE was a Coregrafx I, which was connected through composite on a CRT and that system was vibrant as hell.

Anyone know what it might be, like a different system revision or something? I have no interest in modding this, I'm just curious.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Bought this PCE

I can't see any pic of the system but did you buy a Coregrafx II? Nec had to cut the production costs for these to sell them cheaper. They also did that with the second version of the Duo-R (the Duo RX).

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I can't see any pic of the system but did you buy a Coregrafx II? Nec had to cut the production costs for these to sell them cheaper. They also did that with the second version of the Duo-R (the Duo RX).

Yeah, the picture of the system is in the "Recent purchases" thread.

That was the answer I was looking for, thank you!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
My PC engine over s-video was dim as well compared to other consoles. Just load 240p test suite on your everdrive and calibrate the brightness/contrast/colors. The artifacts are definitely from composite which is known to have dot crawl and bleeding. As with video equipment and even arcade boards, each system outputs slightly different color/black & white/sharpness levels, so adjusting is always a good idea.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some variance in output quality between the different PC Engine models. They're all over the place internally in terms of the circuits used and the quality of the display components.

Also, even if you don't plan on getting your PCE modded, getting the capacitors replaced is a must. Old caps could possibly explain why the picture isn't as vibrant or sharp as you expect.