Repairing broken trace on MVS board

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
I have an MVS game that my cabinet doesn't seem to recognize at all. When I first got it, it had a decent amount of corrosion on the pins on one of the boards (see first photo below). At least one of the pins seems to be completely corroded away at the very top, severing its connection with the trace (see second photo; problem area is circled). Confirmed with a multimeter that there's no connection between the pin and the first solder point. I tried using a conductive ink pen, but no luck. Next I cleaned the conductive ink off, and did some very light soldering on the corroded stop, still no luck.

Wondering what I should try next. Thought about soldering a wire from the top of the pin up to the first solder point for that trace, but was worried it wouldn't be wise to have a wire on a pin like that. Any suggestions for the best approach to repair this trace?

Breakers.jpgIMG_4975.JPG

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Took the plunge and tried just jumping with a wire, and it seems to have worked okay. Still curious if there's a better way to do that.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Depends on how you've done it I suppose. Have you soldered a wire from the contact to the pin of the IC? You could have scraped back the trace a little so the copper was exposed and jumped with a tiny piece of wire. Because there is a physical break in the trace it needs to be joined in some way.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Your fix is what I would've done. I was going to say go ahead, but you beat me to it. Quick and dirty, but what's the alternative? As long as the solder and wire aren't making contact with anything, I think you're good.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Because of flexing, I usually do point to point.