Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks Season 3. Official War Room discussion thread

Mr. Todd is working for someone that wants Cooper dead. He had a red box pop up on his screen that was a signal for him to take an envelope out of his desk with a black mark on it (like old pirate lore).

The envelope is delivered to Ike, who is the diminuitive assassin. Ike kills the woman who failed to kill Coop. Then fails to kill Coop.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

Chin's Bartender
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Wasabi View Post
    Mr. Todd is working for someone that wants Cooper dead. He had a red box pop up on his screen that was a signal for him to take an envelope out of his desk with a black mark on it (like old pirate lore).

The envelope is delivered to Ike, who is the diminuitive assassin. Ike kills the woman who failed to kill Coop. Then fails to kill Coop.
    oh shit the black spot....pirate lore for passing judgement on someone. Never picked up on that. Good catch!

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches. 90s's Avatar
    ...hell of an episode yesterday...dug the black and white...who are those bums?

Quote Originally Posted by 90s View Post
    ...hell of an episode yesterday...dug the black and white...who are those bums?
    I think, personally, that the burned people, credited as "woodsmen", are souls from the black lodge.

That when man started exploding atomic bombs, man tapped into a force of evil so great that BOB was able to enter our dimension.

When the Giant saw BOB in the explosion, he created Laura in a golden pearl, kind of like the golden pearl that Dougie shrank into, or that BOB was seen inside. Then the lady (credited as Lady Dido or something) kissed the pearl and let it go through the tubes toward earth. It should be mentioned that Lady Dido has music playing ("where I am from there is always music in the air"). Years later, an egg hatches and a tiny froglike grasshopper, whose "arms bend back" comes out and crawls into the mouth of a sleeping girl who displayed some psychic ability (she knew about where the boy was from before he told her."

The burned men dancing around doppelcoop made me think of native americans doing a ritual dance ("fire walk with me"). The entire second half of the episode felt like it was a homage to Kubrick's 2001, where the astronaut travels dimensions into a room that changes and time seemingly doesn't follow rules.

Also: Lynch stated that he hopes that people will watch the episode wearing headphones and watchig close up.

The woodmen kind of look like the dark character in Mulholland Drive behind the winkies. This, along with Balthasar Getty's character, makes me feel like Lynch is going to tie it all together - Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks, and even Inland Empire, which was only popular in Eastern Europe, because they understood it somehow.

I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

jesus christ wasabi

i thought this was just a show for shits n gigs

now it's getting retarded-deep

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    jesus christ wasabi

i thought this was just a show for shits n gigs

now it's getting retarded-deep
    Did you watch the original?

What a long, strange trip it's been. And still we roll down this baffling road, missing those who have left us. Daisuke Jigen, Sifl, SNK4EVER, Nightmare_Tony, Boog, Zero Satori. Gone but not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Did you watch the original?

"Do you know what this is, Darya?"

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/upload...19_OwlCave.png

https://filmschoolrejects.com/i-thee...e-5f86c774627/

The owl ring

https://m.imgur.com/a/6S73T

Image of Mother compared to card

Chin's Bartender
    I think, personally, that the burned people, credited as "woodsmen", are souls from the black lodge.

That when man started exploding atomic bombs, man tapped into a force of evil so great that BOB was able to enter our dimension.

When the Giant saw BOB in the explosion, he created Laura in a golden pearl, kind of like the golden pearl that Dougie shrank into, or that BOB was seen inside. Then the lady (credited as Lady Dido or something) kissed the pearl and let it go through the tubes toward earth. It should be mentioned that Lady Dido has music playing ("where I am from there is always music in the air"). Years later, an egg hatches and a tiny froglike grasshopper, whose "arms bend back" comes out and crawls into the mouth of a sleeping girl who displayed some psychic ability (she knew about where the boy was from before he told her."

The burned men dancing around doppelcoop made me think of native americans doing a ritual dance ("fire walk with me"). The entire second half of the episode felt like it was a homage to Kubrick's 2001, where the astronaut travels dimensions into a room that changes and time seemingly doesn't follow rules.

Also: Lynch stated that he hopes that people will watch the episode wearing headphones and watchig close up.

The woodmen kind of look like the dark character in Mulholland Drive behind the winkies. This, along with Balthasar Getty's character, makes me feel like Lynch is going to tie it all together - Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks, and even Inland Empire, which was only popular in Eastern Europe, because they understood it somehow.
    The woodsmen seem like "low level" spirits/beings/whatever from the Black Lodge. When the eyeless entity vomits out BOB (in a spray of gambozia I presume?) he comes with a host of other small circular objects.

My interpretation is that there is something special about BOB. The woodsmen are like the foot soldiers, preparing for BOB to be born into bug form. When the one woodsman gets on the radio and starts chanting about the water/well, clearly he is preparing a suitable host for the bug.

My money is on the girl in the 50's being Sarah Palmer. She had premonition like abilities in the initial run, and if the Giant sent Laura Palmer to stop BOB, it just seems to make sense he would send her to Sarah Palmer as a child.

Or I could be 1000000% wrong. You can never tell with Twin Peaks.

It's also interesting that the gold pearl denotes life (BOB / Dougie when its removed from him) and the black dot denotes death. There seems to be a circular representation to both life and death, just separated out by the color used.

But that slow zoom in on the atomic bomb detonating....that was some awesome stuff!

Chin's Bartender
    or someone Sarah Palmer knows in life maybe

Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    The woodsmen seem like "low level" spirits/beings/whatever from the Black Lodge. When the eyeless entity vomits out BOB (in a spray of gambozia I presume?) he comes with a host of other small circular objects.

My interpretation is that there is something special about BOB. The woodsmen are like the foot soldiers, preparing for BOB to be born into bug form. When the one woodsman gets on the radio and starts chanting about the water/well, clearly he is preparing a suitable host for the bug.

My money is on the girl in the 50's being Sarah Palmer. She had premonition like abilities in the initial run, and if the Giant sent Laura Palmer to stop BOB, it just seems to make sense he would send her to Sarah Palmer as a child.

Or I could be 1000000% wrong. You can never tell with Twin Peaks.

It's also interesting that the gold pearl denotes life (BOB / Dougie when its removed from him) and the black dot denotes death. There seems to be a circular representation to both life and death, just separated out by the color used.

But that slow zoom in on the atomic bomb detonating....that was some awesome stuff!
    The picture of the atlmic bomb exploding was on the wall behind Gordon Cole's desk in Episode 3

Actual Musician
    CA Bay Area...I know it's spelled Tung Fu Rue, but I shortened it
    Holy shit! Last night's episode was fucking crazy!

I just re-watched the episode. I think Wasabi is on the right track with what's going on here. Not sure about the tie-ins with other movies, but it would be kinda cool if they all did.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3430&dateline=1368194  997

Reichsf?rer-Finnland
    Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    The whole segment was brilliant, Noise/PE aesthetics on an AAA tv show.

One more year...
    Please God... just
    One more year...

icon21.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Late View Post
    The whole segment was brilliant, Noise/PE aesthetics on an AAA tv show.
    icon21.gif

Another Striker
    Just finished watching the latest episode and enjoyed reading some of the theories in this page. Absolute nightmare fuel in the best way possible, judas priest no holds barred

Baseball Star Hitter
    They've really let Lynch do whatever he wants this time around. I'm guessing that was one of his conditions to do a new series. The episode reminded me in tone of Eraserhead, which was great. I love watching something where I have absolutely no idea what will happen next, or where it's going. I can't take my eyes off the screen, for fear I will miss something.

Finally saw episode 8

We're all very strange people for enjoying this.

I thought it was great. To watch the birth of BOB in an eraser head style nuke explosion was great.

I am hungover and the episode did hurt my eyes and head, but I still enjoyed it.

The poem at the end was just terrific.

Edit: DoppleCoop seemed to stand back up after being torn to bits by the soul men. Why can't that fuck just die already.

Got a light? Got a light?
    Last edited by Poppy; 06-28-2017 at 04:33 PM.

What a long, strange trip it's been. And still we roll down this baffling road, missing those who have left us. Daisuke Jigen, Sifl, SNK4EVER, Nightmare_Tony, Boog, Zero Satori. Gone but not forgotten.

"This is the water, and this is the well
    Drink full, and descend
    The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within"

It reminds me of the culling song from Lullaby, by Palahniuk. If you sing the song to someone they will die.

Bad ass.

DrillSlug Driver
    OK, so as a big big fan of Twin Peaks, I really want to like Season 3. And I definitely enjoy it. But at the same time, it's frustrating and isn't what I was expecting.

I thought there would be a new occult-based mystery while Dale struggled to get back to the real world and save the day. Maybe that's a bit too on-the-nose or too pedestrian for a Lynch project, but I did at least expect a narrative.

What we actually have here is a bunch of disconnected events that make you think you're about to get into a compelling story but then get abandoned for something unrelated.

So the only through-lines we have are:
    1. Dale's very slow attempt to escape the Black Lodge and "wake up".

2. DoppelCoop's shenanigans (not sure what his goal is other than causing havoc and escaping the law).

3. The Twin Peaks police force trying to figure out the Log Lady's hint regarding Agent Cooper's situation being related to Hawk's ancestry.

So when each new episode comes out, I'm compelled to watch it not because I want to know what happens next, but to know if anything happens at all.

I don't mind the music scenes. But I do wish this season had more of Badalamenti's music in it. I feel like I've gotten the wind knocked out of me every time I hear those tremolo bass notes that open up Falling. Also, I liked Michael Cera's character. Like someone already said, quick absurdities are part of what makes Twin Peaks so memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tung Fu ru View Post
    -Seems a lot of people on the internet believe that Dale's doppelganger (I'll just refer to him as DD from here on out to make things easier) is possessed by Bob.... Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. In the last episode of season two, you see both Bob and DD next to each other and laughing like crazy people. Granted the final scene of the episode you see DD smash his head into the bathroom mirror and see Bob's reflection. But I just assumed that was Bob looking back at DD, not Bob looking back at himself. I don't really see a point in Bob possessing someone who is already evil. I'm sure DD wants to kill anyways, so no need to make him. I guess I'll find out for sure later on.
    Huh. I always thought the final episode of Season 2 was BOB possessing Cooper. You mention them being side by side. But remember, that scene took place in the Black Lodge, where the rules of space and time don't matter much.

My assumption while watching Season 3 (today is the first time I've read any speculation on the internet) has been that DoppelCoop is the corporeal Cooper that was possessed 25 years ago and has been running amuck since then, and that the "real" Cooper (i.e., Coopers "soul") has been locked up in the Black Lodge. That is, until he escapes by entering the body of Dougie Jones.

-I wonder what the significance of the numbers 430 (number the Giant told Dale to remember at the begining of the episode) and 253 is(told to Dale by the Arm)? Time of day? Apartment or hotel room numbers maybe?
    I figure that the season is going to be book-ended by the NYC facility with the cameras and glass box. Could be street address / room #.

-Was the white figure that appeared in the glass box the Arm's doppelganger? Laura's doppelganger? Some other demonic being after Dale because he wasn't supposed to get out of the Lodge yet?
    Yeah, my immediate thought was that it was something trying to get "real" Cooper back after escaping.

-Going back to Dale leaving the Black Lodge: How was he able to leave when DD is still out in the real world? Did DD send someone else in his place to trick Mike and the Arm, or whomever is in charge of the Lodge?
    I think I answered this in the first question. Dale is split into two: his soul (Dougie) on one hand and his body (DoppelCoop) on the other.

-Why did Laura take off her face? Also, did she die/ possibly go to heaven/hell maybe after whispering to Dale? Or did she wind up back in the real world?
    I didn't understand this either. I think that maybe she had been completely consumed by the powers of BOB and the Black Lodge before dying, therefore she has lived there since her death. I don't know what taking her face off is supposed to mean, short of that she's not in her corporeal body.

-Did anyone else notice when DD shot Phyllis Hastings it looked as though a blue blur was exiting her body? Was she possibly possessed by Bob? If so, was it her/Bob framing her husband with the murder? Or was her husband possibly possessed by Bob?
    I like this season, but this is one frustrating thing. I thought that this murder was going to be the backdrop of the season and then it just gets dropped without any explanation as to who this family is or what they have to do with Cooper.

-I noticed many people complain about the "CGI" in the show..... Maybe I'm wrong here, but doesn't Lynch prefer film and video effects to digital ones?
    The CGI is bad. But it was bad and campy in the original show. That could have been due to technical limitations of the time, which wouldn't apply to this season. I'm betting on keeping the budget low and spending the FX budget on stuff like episode 8. That stuff must have cost 6 figures per minute.

-What's the significance of the black ghost like person in the jail cell a few cells over from Hastings? Demon from the Lodge? (definitely reminded me of the homeless guy in MD)
    That's another thing dropped without an explanation.

-Is there a connection to the Log Lady's log, the Arm (who is now a tree), the entrance to the Black Lodge (surrounded by sycamore trees), and possibly even the douglas fir trees in Twin Peaks?
    Could be, but the Arm / tree is the replacement for the midget from the Black Lodge. The actor had a falling out with Lynch and wouldn't come back for Season 3. So he got turned into a tree of nerves.

EDIT: Beyond the Black Rainbow is an amazing movie. One of my top movies of the 2010s. It was doing the '80s aesthetic thing years before Stranger Things and, like Stranger Things, the soundtrack is just as good as the visuals. IMO it's American indie-movie Akira: imprisoned, psychic / telekinetic test subject youth is underestimated, escapes, chase ensues.
    Last edited by fakeXsound; 06-30-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Actual Musician
    fakeXsound: First off, the season hasn't wrapped up yet. Don't assume things don't tie together when at this point we really don't know. So far, it seems like things are SLOWLY coming together. Also, I'm of the opinion that this is David Lynch and Mark Frost's show. They can do whatever THEY seem fit for the story. They created this crazy world, so it's their story to finish however they would like.

I'm pretty sure many of those questions I posted weeks ago have been answered:

-Bob was still with Dale's Doppelganger. I was obviously wrong about that one.

-430, not quite sure what that means yet.

-Pretty sure after last weeks episode, that it was Mother that we saw in the glass box.

-You might be right about DoppleDale and Dougie. But if Dougie was "manufactured" you would think Dale wouldn't be able to live in his body.... Then again, maybe that's why he's so retarded now.

-Not sure, but after last week's episode I think there is more to Laura than some high school girl who as murdered (obviously). But I mean that there might be more of a connection with her and the lodge than we first might have thought.

-Dude, the murder in South Dakota happens to have Brigg's body. That definitely ties in with the plot. I'm sure more will come of that soon.

-Fuck you. The CGI and other effects fit the mood and tone of the show perfectly IMO.

-Did you actually watch episode 8?

-As far as tree and log connections? Who knows at this point.

It should be mentioned that Lady Dido has music playing ("where I am from there is always music in the air"). Years later, an egg hatches and a tiny froglike grasshopper, whose "arms bend back" comes out and crawls into the mouth of a sleeping girl who displayed some psychic ability (she knew about where the boy was from before he told her."
    You might be right about the "music in the air" comment. I think the frog-bug having "arms that bend back", no. They never bend back. The "arms bend back" is Laura referencing how she her arms were tied back before she was murdered. Also, after watching the episode again, I feel that frog-bug is actually Bob, not Laura. Why would the woodsmen have anything to do with helping Laura? Since that dude goes around crushing skulls, it's hard to believe that he is anything but bad. I guess we'll get some more answers to some of our questions as the season progresses, along with new ones at the same time.

From now on anytime I hear someone say "gotta light?" I will always have that creepy dudes face in my mind.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3430&dateline=1368194  997

DrillSlug Driver
    Uhhh, just trying to help. Not sure why you're being so aggressive. Sorry I offended your show by saying that I enjoy watching it.

Actual Musician
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeXsound View Post
    Uhhh, just trying to help. Not sure why you're being so aggressive. Sorry I offended your show by saying that I enjoy watching it.
    Not offended at all. Sometimes text isn't a great way to communicate. I'm just glad the show is on and that it's the sort of thing that gets people thinking and talking about it.

I just said "fuck you" about the effects just because I think they're great. That's my own opinion, you don't have to agree with it. Sometimes I just talk like an asshole, sorry dude.

DrillSlug Driver
    NP.

The effects in 8 are amazing. Which is what I was getting at: Save the effects budget for the big showpiece rather than the relatively inconsequential stuff that's only on screen for a few seconds.

And yeah, you're right - the thing in the glass box was definitely the create in 8, though I'm not sure what that creature is.

fakexsound, it's good that you're not satisfied yet. You shouldn't be. If you watched any of lost highway, mulhulland drive, or eraserhead, and walked away from them thinking "totally get it" then something is wrong. The movies should be discussed at length.

DrillSlug Driver
    fakexsound, it's good that you're not satisfied yet. You shouldn't be. If you watched any of lost highway, mulhulland drive, or eraserhead, and walked away from them thinking "totally get it" then something is wrong. The movies should be discussed at length.
    Hmm, I wouldn't put it that way. I think about Mulholland Drive and what it meant [Lynch says it has no meaning] (not to mention the original Twin Peaks) almost daily. It's more that Season 3 feels super fragmented at the moment. And TFR is right - it could all tie up. But even if it does, it seems like a weird choice to have things that fragmented. There are only so many plates that viewers can keep spinning in their own minds without taking notes. You might say that repeat viewing was the aim of the season and that you have to work for the reward. But that might be a stretch.

Edit: Again, just to be clear, I think Season 3 is great. I just don't think it's perfect and that there are certain things that could have been better if done differently.
    Last edited by fakeXsound; 06-30-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Thread Information