Replacing NES and SNES battery backup saves

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Obviously, many of these old games no longer save, and I was wondering if it takes a soldering wizard to replace these?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I think GohanX was the local pro in regards to this, but it seems he's abandoned us/been run off.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
It's pretty straightforward - just two solder points that are big and obvious without much around them. I would call it a beginner level soldering project.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
It's simple. You can get pre tabbed CR2032 batteries and all you need is a drop of solder on each side as needed. Just make sure + goes to + and - goes to -.

You could also go the ghetto way and just wrap the battery tight w electrical tape but that won't hold.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
It's a pretty easy solder job - just two easy-to-reach points. I recommend replacing the stock tabbed battery with a holder so you can just slide a regular watch battery in.

https://console5.com/store/horizontal-holder-for-2032-coin-cell-batteries.html

One potential downside to these is the battery can get knocked loose. These need to be replaced so infrequently, and it's such an easy job, after doing a couple of the holders, I just started used the tabbed ones like ggallegos1 mentioned.

And I'd agree it's an easy solder job. I only learned to solder relatively recently, and these battery replacements are about as easy as you can get. If it's something you're really not comfortable doing, I'd be happy to lend a hand for the cost of the batteries & shipping.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
As many have already stated, its one of the easiest soldering jobs you can do, Try to get the batteries with the tabs on them. Also be aware that cheaper ones have really thin and flimsy tabs that break easily. You got be careful with those. It wont be the end if one or both of the tabs break but it makes the job much more annoying.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If you go the battery holder route, just remember that many of these games have big boards that use almost all the space inside the shell, so you gotta get a batt holder that fits inside, else you will have to mod the board (not pretty).

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Very easy. 5-10min of work start to finish really

Just need a soldering iron, something to pry on the battery as you heat the solder, and a replacement tabbed battery for the board. Heat, pry, lay down new, re-solder down, done. I do this somewhat often on Gameboy stuff which is smaller but all the same.

Best deal I know online is starwander/mortoffgames up on ebay. Has all the different versions of batteries that Nintendo consoles and Gameboy's have gone through over the years with tabs on them.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Thanks guys. It would be great to be able to play Crystalis again. That's one game I never beat.