SNES Mini Framemeister SCART output difficulties...could use some help

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Hey everyone. Over the last year or so, after buying a used XRGB mini Framemeister from someone on here, I've been messing with my older consoles outputting RGB over SCART. Last weekend, I got my SNES Mini (model 2 SNES) modded to output SCART, and with it I got a SCART cable. It's important to note I don't know any of the details about how the cable was made...the shop I went to that did the mod just had SCART cables on sale and I picked one up.

Anyway, I took it home and hooked it up to my framemeister through the Japanese RGB to SCART adapter. I could get nothing to display through the framemeister. My PC Engine and Genesis I tested through the same kind of SCART connection worked fine, so obviously the framemeister works. To test the mod and basic functionality of the SCART cable, I took the SNES mini and hooked it up with the SCART cable to a straight up SCART to HDMI converter (not a fancy upscaler like the framemeister) and it did output to my TV. So in this scenario I wasn't using the framemeister or the RGB/SCART converter needed for my typical connections.

Any advice? Should I just be looking for a different SCART cable? Does this have anything to do with "sync" on the cables? To be perfectly honest, I know how to hook the stuff up but I know very little about the mod itself or any other technical details so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

beecee

n00b
be careful if you mixing euro scart and JPN21 and they have different configurations and could cause damage, looks like your using JP21 connection with your PC engine and Megadrive.?

if thats the case it sounds like your scart cable is not wired for JP21 scart, also worth pointing out if your snes is a 1chip model they dont use csync, but use luma sync.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
be careful if you mixing euro scart and JPN21 and they have different configurations and could cause damage, looks like your using JP21 connection with your PC engine and Megadrive.?

if thats the case it sounds like your scart cable is not wired for JP21 scart, also worth pointing out if your snes is a 1chip model they dont use csync, but use luma sync.

No, the PC Engine Duo RX and Genesis (US model 3 actually) are both using the SCART to JPN 21 adapters as well. Those have been working without a hitch.

You are probably right about the wiring for JPN21 scart with the SNES cable...should I be looking for something with luma sync specifically when I buy a new SCART cable?

beecee

n00b
should I be looking for something with luma sync specifically when I buy a new SCART cable?

only if yours is the 1 chip model, when ordering your new scart cable, best to email them saying what your set up is and they can make sure you get the correct cable.

check out retrogamingcables.co.uk (no association or connections) i use them for all my cables and they will make sure you get the correct cable.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
only if yours is the 1 chip model, when ordering your new scart cable, best to email them saying what your set up is and they can make sure you get the correct cable.

check out retrogamingcables.co.uk (no association or connections) i use them for all my cables and they will make sure you get the correct cable.

I see. The unit I'm using is an SNES mini...I thought they aren't considered the "1chip". Again, I really don't know much on the technical end so I apologize for my lack of clarity.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
OK, so a few more details. I noticed the 21 pin to xrgb converter I'm using is marked off as "passive" as opposed to "sync separator". Not sure if that makes any difference at all. I should also mention I am getting audio. Someone gave me the suggestion to change the sync level on the framemeister, so I adjusted from 9 to 16 and then just tried a bunch of other random ones and got no video output at any level I tried (there were so many different sync level options but when nothing was working I just figured that was a lost cause and brought it back to 9).

I am starting to wonder based off what I have been reading if the RGB mod was in fact done properly even though it does work with the straight SCART to HDMI converter even though the framemeister gets no output.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
If your SNES cable has a sync seperator (you should check by opening it up and seeing if there is more than just capacitors), and your JP21/Euro SCART adapter is Passive, then it probably means that your sync separator isn't getting the 5v required for the separator to become active.

Meaning, the SNES cable may be blocking the sync entirely because of the lack of power going to that circuit.

Luckily opening up SCART Cables are easy, so I would check them both to see what's actually inside, but this is my hunch based on what you've stated.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
If your SNES cable has a sync seperator (you should check by opening it up and seeing if there is more than just capacitors), and your JP21/Euro SCART adapter is Passive, then it probably means that your sync separator isn't getting the 5v required for the separator to become active.

Meaning, the SNES cable may be blocking the sync entirely because of the lack of power going to that circuit.

Luckily opening up SCART Cables are easy, so I would check them both to see what's actually inside, but this is my hunch based on what you've stated.

Thanks for the tip. Weirdly enough, the guy who made the cable originally reached out to me on my Reddit post asking for tips...just a coincidence. I shared this comment with him so we'll see what he says. He said he can probably just make me another cable earlier today.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Did you look inside the SNES SCART connector? Was there a sync circuit?