MVS KoF 2000 graphic glitch

Hakeshu

n00b
Hello guys just got a KoF 2000 catridge for MVS and its a mess all over the graphics. The game seems to be running, because I can se the animations in the mess, but also no sound (want to fix the graphics first before move to sound). Already did the cleaning and all the basic procedures.

My board is the Set 1 on MVS Scans (the one with the extra board attached)

Have anyone seen anything like this? Even the Unibios Screens got bugged with the cart.:scratch:
kof2k-1.jpgkof2k-2.jpg

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
KOF 2000 uses the NEO-CMC, an all-in-one C ROM demultiplexer and decryption chip. It's on the CHA board and handles all the sprite and fix layer data chips (100% of the on screen graphics) and the M1 ROM which contains the driver code for the Z80 so music will play.

First make sure the CHA board is very clean. If there's no improvement, the NEO-CMC might be suffering from dry solder joints on its legs. If that's not it either, then you may have a broken NEO-CMC chip and would require a donor CHA-FIO board. KOF 2000 is relatively inexpensive, there wouldn't be much gained in going through all the pain of desoldering the 8 42-pin ROM chips and one 32 pin ROM chip from two separate CHA-FIO boards and swapping the ROMs around. That's best reserved for expensive titles like Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Metal Slug 5.

Hakeshu

n00b
KOF 2000 uses the NEO-CMC, an all-in-one C ROM demultiplexer and decryption chip. It's on the CHA board and handles all the sprite and fix layer data chips (100% of the on screen graphics) and the M1 ROM which contains the driver code for the Z80 so music will play.

First make sure the CHA board is very clean. If there's no improvement, the NEO-CMC might be suffering from dry solder joints on its legs. If that's not it either, then you may have a broken NEO-CMC chip and would require a donor CHA-FIO board. KOF 2000 is relatively inexpensive, there wouldn't be much gained in going through all the pain of desoldering the 8 42-pin ROM chips and one 32 pin ROM chip from two separate CHA-FIO boards and swapping the ROMs around. That's best reserved for expensive titles like Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Metal Slug 5.

Ohh shoot, Guess I'll try to reflow the CMC chip. Didn't know about those, Thanks for the explanation. At least this is the only cart from the defective lot that I bought that has the NEC-CMC hahaha.