AES top shell

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
So I have a badly damaged top shell to my NTSC AES and I was thinking of replacing it with a Japanese one. Is there any differences or would this be a simple swap. I've seen some pictures with the Japanese ones have another screw on the bottom of the shell is that going to make a difference?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
So I have a badly damaged top shell to my NTSC AES and I was thinking of replacing it with a Japanese one.

North America and Japan both use NTSC. You should say, "my USA AES top shell is badly damaged".

If they both share the same number of screws underneath, then yes you can swap them. The only functional difference between a USA and JPN AES is the BIOS. Beyond that, it's purely cosmetic, namely a possible FCC sticker under the console and RF shielding inside. Everything else is identical.

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
My bad I always get that messed up. So I need to be on the look out for the one that doesn't have the screw down by the controller ports

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
What's so bad about your USA AES shell anyway? It can't be that bad. Got a pic?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
You could always use some glue or epoxy. How often do you need to be inside it anyway? Get a UniBIOS in there and a re-cap done, seal the shell, done.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya, epoxy that shit as long as the posts are still intact. Use something made specifically for plastic though as it creates a stronger bond.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The screw holes aren't based on region. That's due to the motherboard revision. I noticed this right away when I was working on two different motherboards.

I agree about the epoxy. It's not worth saccing another good system.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Ya, epoxy that shit as long as the posts are still intact. Use something made specifically for plastic though as it creates a stronger bond.

I've had great luck lightly sanding plastic (where you can't see it) before epoxy application. Better bond w/ a roughed up surface

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
What about removing paint? The gimp who owned mine before me (not rot) had painted the casing silver, and added led lights to everything. How does one go about clearing that junk off?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
What about removing paint? The gimp who owned mine before me (not rot) had painted the casing silver, and added led lights to everything. How does one go about clearing that junk off?

I think that can be removed with soft (high-grade, maybe 1200?) sanding paper, however the finishing of the shell will not be the same as when it was new, but at least will be color black again. Of course, forget about the neogeo logo on the front :(

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
OP....So you have a TOP shell with all of the pegs broken off?? screw tabs?
BB

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
All the tabs but one were broken off. But I found one stuck under the board so I glued it on the opposite side. Not exactly ideal but it'll do.