4096 colors

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Is there any game that has on screen 4096 colors?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Legend of Success Joe. The game used more colours than any of the other Neo titles, I think it even used ones never again used...

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Practically speaking, I think programmers have seen that the colors actually max out at 3841 simultaneously displayed, so no. Besides, it would be an unnecessary pain to use all available at once anyway. Some of the most beautiful arcade games used less than 200 simultaneous colors displayed at once in typical scenes. It's more about palette options and just enough simultaneous application to achieve versatility for artists, rather than simultaneous color numbers for their own sake.

Legend of Success Joe was only able to be an exception to this due to its unusual cart design properties of awesomeness that allowed for untold color depth. To this day, nobody fully understands how it was done though.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
On a serious note, several absolutely breathtaking scenes in Sengoku 2 hold the record for the most colors on screen in a NEO game. Definitely worth checking out, if your curious about colors.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Too bad MVS copies of Sengoku 2 are on the spendy side and aren't easy to grab if you do have the $ for one. Sure, there's far worse in the AES lineup as far as price/difficulty as far as picking up a copy. But on the MVS side of things it's a bit of a bitch.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The max 4,096 colors is only the theoretical number based on the maximum number of sprites and palettes. It probably wouldn't be practical in a real game

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'll take the rachitic Mega Drive palette at any time of day. Minimalism has its sweet merits.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I'll take the rachitic Mega Drive palette at any time of day. Minimalism has its sweet merits.

Agreed, it forced artists and programmers to work with limited resources and find trickeries to squeeze some extra colors here and there.
Results were often really nice.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

rachitic (comparative more rachitic, superlative most rachitic)

(medicine) Pertaining to or affected by rickets. [from 18th c.]  [quotations ▼]
Feeble, in a weak or precarious condition. [from 19th c.]

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
rachitic (comparative more rachitic, superlative most rachitic)

(medicine) Pertaining to or affected by rickets. [from 18th c.]  [quotations ▼]
Feeble, in a weak or precarious condition. [from 19th c.]

No one who speaks English would ever use that word.