Brand New Front Loader NGCD

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I have a front loader and a cdz that gets a lot of game time. The CDZ is the only way to go for playing cd titles imho (unless you intend to play them on the dreamcast or a pc emulator that is). I haven't checked out neo geo prices in well over a decade, but that price seems really high. If you must have a cd system, why not hold out for a unit with faster loading for play?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I think that is a lot of cash for something that might just be a used system in excellent condition. People like to claim lots of shit on ebay.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I have had all models of Neo Geo CD systems and agree with BlackaneseNiNjA. If you are truly after a CD system, wait and get a CDZ and then mod it for better ventilation.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
For $745, you can get a CMVS or a nice Supergun set up. The loading time for some CD games are unbearable.

I found this auction earlier today. I'm seriously considering purchasing this. What do you all think?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
For $745, you can get a CMVS or a nice Supergun set up. The loading time for some CD games are unbearable.

I didn't want to say anything since I don't like to hurt Neo Cd lovers feelings lol, but for a little more you might be able to get a CMVS and a NEOSD and your not dealing with load times.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I didn't want to say anything since I don't like to hurt Neo Cd lovers feelings lol, but for a little more you might be able to get a CMVS and a NEOSD and your not dealing with load times.

Sup Raz. No hurt feelings here lol

It's not for everyone, but I've always used the cd systems as a supplemental console to play games like pulstar and metal slug 1 & 2 without breaking the bank (the cd soundtrack for AoF2 doesn't hurt either). Meanwhile, I play favorite fighters like kof and fatal fury on the aes and mvs.

With that said, there are so many options for ports and emulated versions of titles that were formerly exclusive to the neo geo that it's difficult to seriously recommend a cd console these days to someone new to the console/scene imho.

Last edited:

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
what everybody said. on the other hand, the front loader is one of the best looking consoles ever made - but the price is way too high, thats why it didnt sell for the last weeks...

if you really want to play cd games, get a cdz & buy a cheaper frontloader for the lulz.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Is OP the new account of NGCDFreak? His threads sure are bad enough...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You're an idiot if you want to pay that much for that.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Whatever model CD you get, get the UNIBIOS installed. I don't think it's possible without case modification on the CDZ.

I have a toploader with UNIBIOS 3.3 and I absolutely love it.

Neo CD is where a lot of bargains can still be found. If you avoid fighting games most of the games load pretty fast even on the toploader and frontloader. Stuff like Pulstar, Last Resort, and Windjammers among others are still a fraction of their MVS/AES counterparts.

A CMVS and a Neo CD, both with UNIBIOS, is the Neo Geo combination I always recommend.

EDIT:
If you pay over $700 for a frontloader you're nuts. Just get a cheap used toploader or save up for a CDZ. The less moving parts the better.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
You'd have to be a moron to pay that. Get a CDZ for less money.

CDZ > AES.

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Box looks really nice, but can't imagine dropping that much on such an underwhelming system.

Last edited:

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
If it's something you will be using regularly, not much point in paying extra to get it in super perfect condition. It will just get dusty and used over time anyway. which is fine, unless you plan to put it into a museum. So might as well get a less expensive one in good but not NOS condition that works, for a lot less money.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
+1 on snagging a CDZ instead. That's a ton of money to spend no matter how flawless it is.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The regular CD system is just fine for older games.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
My money is on it's actually an extremely clean, complete unit that's seen some use. Just my random opinion though

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Also I believe this seller just buys from other people on YAJ and resells stuff. I remember looking at his ad for one of those 3DO external save adapters and finding the exact same thing much cheaper on YAJ. I went back and compared his other auctions, all were on YAJ through various sellers. Just look at the various backgrounds and quality of his photos. Different tile, flooring, carpets, etc. It also explains the 5-day handling, time for him to buy the item from someone else, receive it and send it to you.

Double Reppuken

NGFL Member., xROTx,
I have dealt with this seller and madman is correct. He's a middleman. If you ask for more photos it will take days. Also he claims stuff is "new" but it's actually just used stuff in excellent to mint condition.

I also had a problem with him once, where an item wasn't as described. We eventually reached an amicable agreement but it was a slow process and he was very emotional and hard to deal with.

As others have stated, the only reason to pay that price would be to put the box on display as a collectors item. If you're just looking to get something to game on, they pop up all the time for a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Let's just say this thing really is deadstock. Wouldn't that make it more likely that the belt is stiff, crusty, or otherwise not works and will need replacement? In other words, right out of the box, it will have to be modified to be non-all-original.