Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is collecting the hobby for the talentless?

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Is collecting the hobby for the talentless?

Most hobbies require (learning) skills - sports, instruments, crafts, ... - how about collecting?

Obviously, it too requires some knowledge - telling legit apart from fake, networking, persistence, spotting, a feeling for the right time and place etc.

But is money (especially when it comes to the Neo), to a larger extend than with other hobbies, not only a prerequisite but the actual main factor?

Could it therefore be argued that collecting is for those who (otherwise) lack talent?

[Simply put: Money can't buy you skills, but with it you can "achieve" a collection.]

Is this phenomenon limited to collecting or are there other, similar "hobbies" that the same could be said of?

Hmmm. I haven't thought about this in some years. But yeah, I agree.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    Other than inheritance, how does one gain money if one is talentless? Are people who spend millions on artwork talentless because they collect artwork? Steve Martin is a huge collector of art, is here therefore talentless due to his collecting?

Zero's Tailor
    I think similarly of folks who are into cars. Not necessarily mechanic types who tune their own cars, but others who pay a garage to have a souped up ride. Cars make video games look cheap.

Nerdygrrl's Boy Toy
    Go learn some skills and stop hoarding video games you fagits.
    Quote Originally Posted by garoudensetsu View Post
    Yes it take some time for it but now out of closet and open for sex from men. I homosexual proudly declare it to all to see. None of that weight can be over shoulders anymore. Regards

Stakes Winner
    Its hard to say because the entry "price" for collecting games (neo in particular) is far higher than other things. You could buy a cheap guitar for 100.00 and practice your ass off. Or a soccer-ball for 10.00

I would take it one further and say money is a requirement for "collecting" because if your only desire was to purely play, it could be done for free via emulators.

Been There.
    Done That.
    It Was Shit.
    Collecting isn't a hobby, it's an addiction. Anyone who tells you otherwise is in denial.

Wow, terrible example madman. Steve is an incredibly talented person who is able to collect million dollar arts because of his talent.

I'm not going to make any broad generalizations, instead I'll use myself as an example: a slow learner completely without skill. Liked video games as a kid, got a job as a teen, collection continued to grow. Kept buying and playing instead of learning something useful. Eventually got quoted multiple times in EGM and OPM as a result of joining their forums, which indirectly lead me to come here and start a new tier of collecting - NEO GEO.

So speaking only for myself, xsq's hypothesis is correct, even if I didn't actively think about it it must at least have been a subconscious thought.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    Wow, terrible example madman. Steve is an incredibly talented person who is able to collect million dollar arts because of his talent.
    How is it a terrible example? The topic is "Is collecting the hobby for the talentless." I believe my example proves the answer. No it is not.

Steve Martin probably isn't very skilled in things that matter, like tennis, or golf.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

Quote Originally Posted by neo_moe View Post
    Collecting isn't a hobby, it's an addiction. Anyone who tells you otherwise is in denial.
    This is true.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    I was strung out on Topps and Fleer baseball cards as a kid. Then I got into the heavy shit: Upper Deck cards. Had to go to a 30-day rehab center for my addiction.

Been There.
    Done That.
    It Was Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    I was strung out on Topps and Fleer baseball cards as a kid. Then I got into the heavy shit: Upper Deck cards. Had to go to a 30-day rehab center for my addiction.
    Recognizing you have is a problem is difficult to do. Congratulations. I wish you all the best.

I was the same with garbage pail kids but I was able to overcome my disease. I am confident you can too.

Yours truly,
    Neo Moe

Astra Superstar
    Where does gaming as a hobby end and collecting begin though? I'd argue it's when the time spent playing games becomes less than the amount of time spent acquiring games.

Not all of us bought this stuff while it was anywhere near as expensive as it is today. Also, not everyone buys more than they can play so addiction doesn't apply to everyone.

Collecting may not require skill, but it also doesn't mean that those who choose to do so lack passion or skill in the neo games they do play. Scammers and flippers are the real ones who are talentless in this hobby.
    Last edited by BlackaneseNiNjA; 05-03-2017 at 09:49 PM.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Athena's Bodyguard
    You could equally say playing games is a hobby for the talentless, unless playing games qualifies as a talent now.

Gandalf Of Gibberish
    people watching...what I consider just being a creepy weirdo is a hobby that I think beats out collecting as being the one for the talentless.
    Last edited by Karou; 05-03-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    white people shit is worthless .

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karou View Post
    people watching...what I consider just being a creepy weirdo is a hobby that I think beats out collecting as being the one for the talentless.
    t.u wife for watching pupils? or talent is non?

AH
    A
    COLUMBIAN!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyo View Post
    You could equally say playing games is a hobby for the talentless, unless playing games qualifies as a talent now.
    Most of them require good reflexes and eye-hand coordination. That's at least a skill you can develop. Its usefulness can be debatable though.

Gandalf Of Gibberish
    hiking then.
    white people shit is worthless .

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karou View Post
    hiking then.
    High king norder get handful legas

Fug:DDDDD
    Collecting is a hobby, hoarding is an addiction.

Kim
    Kaphwan
    Klan
    Other than inheritance, how does one gain money if one is talentless? Are people who spend millions on artwork talentless because they collect artwork? Steve Martin is a huge collector of art, is here therefore talentless due to his collecting?
    I have no discernible talents. I didn't finish college, and yet I've always fallen ass backwards into better jobs. I'm not a career type, and generally don't care what work I'm doing, it's all a means to an end. My life is not my work. Work is something I deal with on a daily basis, with a strong desire to transcend it into something less frictioned.

I got my first job because my mom was going to kick me out. Did that, lied my way into a better job, did that. Moved here, lied my ass off into something better, faked my way into something else, now I've got a decent gig, in a big company, miles away from customers or the public. And someday I'll lie my way into something else. Perhaps lying is my talent. But it gets me money, I use that to keep a roof over my head, and buy a little escapism. Collecting games just happens to be a part of that.
    cool dude

Astra Superstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasky View Post
    This.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    Collecting things is an interesting behaviour, it is a source of instant gratification with the habitual acquiring of more items to the collection and of course the experience of hunting for and finding desired items.

If you find you have shelves upon shelves of games and systems, controllers, accessories, figures and other rubbish then I would like you to entertain the idea of selling it all, you might find it confronting and a challenge and that's all you need to know. Good things come from challenging ones status quo.

For the tunes chat crew!

Been There.
    Done That.
    It Was Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackaneseNiNjA View Post
    This.
    But where does one end and the other begin? Is it the frequency of acquiring games? 1 in a month is ok. 10 is not. Is 9 a judgement call? Nice display cases are for collectors? Cardboard boxes are for hoarders? Is it the value of items? It just seems like any distinction between the 2 is completely arbitrary and could rationalized away.

Is 8man a collector but Bibliophile was a hoarder? Where do Stealthlurker and Thierry Henry fall? Hmm...

Thread Information