Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Unibios fail

  1. #1
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    dcx516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Beach NY

    Posts
    68

    Unibios fail

    i guess my soldering skills suck big time because i botched up soldering in a unibios. Without a game installed i get a screen that goes from blue to green and i hear a low clicking noise coming from my tv speakers. With a game in, i get a bunch of garbled characters on the screen and the same low clicking noise. I checked my traces and it doesnt look like any are screwed up, anything else i should check?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Baseball Star Hitter
    wyndcrosser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Midwest

    Posts
    1,256
    Mvs? AES? Socketed style? More details please to assist.
    Looking for UK copies of Dive Alert Becky's Version, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters, and Pocket Reversi.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41108&dateline=145772  3980

  3. #3
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    dcx516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Beach NY

    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by wyndcrosser View Post
    Mvs? AES? Socketed style? More details please to assist.
    Sorry, I was so pissed that i forgot to add the details. It's an AES and I didn't install the socket. I removed the original bios and soldered in the uni. It's a NEO-AES3-5 board

  4. #4

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    7,812
    Get a multimeter and use the AES bios traces tutorial page on Jamma Nation X:
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

    Try soldering together pins 38,39, and 40 or not. Whether they should be bridged depends on the system.

    It can be a long road depending on how much damage was done (it's a lot easier to screw up than you would think). If this is beyond your capabilities, send the system to someone for repair.

  5. #5
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    dcx516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Beach NY

    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Get a multimeter and use the AES bios traces tutorial page on Jamma Nation X:
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html

    Try soldering together pins 38,39, and 40 or not. Whether they should be bridged depends on the system.

    It can be a long road depending on how much damage was done (it's a lot easier to screw up than you would think). If this is beyond your capabilities, send the system to someone for repair.
    Anyone on here do repairs?

  6. #6
    Dogg-Father
    Neodogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    2,800
    Quote Originally Posted by dcx516 View Post
    Anyone on here do repairs?
    Big Bear is is Philli
    James (Xian Xi)in in HI
    Madman is out east
    uiengineer can do the cap replacement
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

  7. #7

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    7,812
    Not as impossible as I probably made it sound though. I've repaired a couple of these using a multimeter and the guide I linked.

    Multimeters are cheap. Just set it to the continuity check mode, put one needle on the unibios pin, and another needle on where that pin is supposed to go to, then check the screen for a minus sign. Patch the pins that aren't connected.
    Last edited by Neo Alec; 05-02-2017 at 12:01 PM.

  8. #8
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    dcx516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Beach NY

    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Not as impossible as I probably made it sound though. I've repaired a couple of these using a multimeter and the guide I linked.

    Multimeters are cheap. Just set it to the continuity check mode, put one needle on the unibios pin, and another needle on where that pin is supposed to go to, then check the screen for a minus sign. Patch the pins that aren't connected.
    I'm going to attempt it tonight. Can't hurt to try again

  9. #9

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    7,812
    Try not to do any further damage. Don't undo your work unless necessary. It can be a real bitch. I would compare it to replacing the the NES video PPU for installing NESRGB. Difficult!

  10. #10
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,482
    Yup, use the 2 AES pin guides on JAMMA nation X with a multimetre.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  11. #11
    Rugal's Thug
    phoenixdownita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    United States

    Posts
    94
    Should rename the thread, I thought someone was complaining about the Uni itself.

    I installed mine on a 3-5 AES and broke 4 traces in the process (prying out the old BIOS that I thought was completely unsoldered via screwdriver .... turns out I was wrong) it took me a while to "fix" it and I had a socket installed already (coulnd't really see the damage before that).
    Unfortunately because of the path some traces had to take I had to use the soldering iron to melt the plastic outside the socket pins to reach the metal pin there and then solder on the side (I didn't want to have very long wires go all the way to the bottom of the board and didn't find any suitable place nearby to drill a through hole). One of the socket pins now "sticks" a little more than I wanted to (no doubt because of my soldering job on it's outside part) but I am able to fully extract the BIOS eprom and replace it as new versions are made available .... so I am a happy camper in the end.

    For sure take your time, slow and steady.
    I learnt the hard way in this and other "soldering adventure" that there's no such a thing as a 5 minutes soldering job with me, some shit always happens so I make sure I have plenty of time to calm down and fix my mess.

    EDIT: agree with the NESRGB install, in my case though the issue was that I soldered the pieces out of order wrt the adapter for the Twin Fami .... upon desoldering I broke 2 traces in the adapter itself .... couple of wires and I was back in business .... but before that I attempted to desolder the adapter from the NESRGB itself which overheated and dropped 2 of the SMD capacitors on the RGB pins and one on the regulator path [I was using a hot gun] .... Tim at a point offered a replacement if I couldn't fix it .... but I did and felt good that I gave myself plenty of time.
    Last edited by phoenixdownita; 05-02-2017 at 03:09 PM.

  12. #12
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    dcx516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Beach NY

    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdownita View Post
    Should rename the thread, I thought someone was complaining about the Uni itself.

    I installed mine on a 3-5 AES and broke 4 traces in the process (prying out the old BIOS that I thought was completely unsoldered via screwdriver .... turns out I was wrong) it took me a while to "fix" it and I had a socket installed already (coulnd't really see the damage before that).
    Unfortunately because of the path some traces had to take I had to use the soldering iron to melt the plastic outside the socket pins to reach the metal pin there and then solder on the side (I didn't want to have very long wires go all the way to the bottom of the board and didn't find any suitable place nearby to drill a through hole). One of the socket pins now "sticks" a little more than I wanted to (no doubt because of my soldering job on it's outside part) but I am able to fully extract the BIOS eprom and replace it as new versions are made available .... so I am a happy camper in the end.

    For sure take your time, slow and steady.
    I learnt the hard way in this and other "soldering adventure" that there's no such a thing as a 5 minutes soldering job with me, some shit always happens so I make sure I have plenty of time to calm down and fix my mess.

    EDIT: agree with the NESRGB install, in my case though the issue was that I soldered the pieces out of order wrt the adapter for the Twin Fami .... upon desoldering I broke 2 traces in the adapter itself .... couple of wires and I was back in business .... but before that I attempted to desolder the adapter from the NESRGB itself which overheated and dropped 2 of the SMD capacitors on the RGB pins and one on the regulator path [I was using a hot gun] .... Tim at a point offered a replacement if I couldn't fix it .... but I did and felt good that I gave myself plenty of time.
    Well I did what you guys suggested and it turns out I fucked up 6 traces.....now I just need to repair them. I really hope this works

  13. #13
    Baseball Star Hitter
    wyndcrosser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Midwest

    Posts
    1,256
    If you know the traces, just wire them to the socket. Hot glue the wires so they are strong and don't get pulled or something.
    Looking for UK copies of Dive Alert Becky's Version, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters, and Pocket Reversi.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41108&dateline=145772  3980

  14. #14
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    dcx516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Beach NY

    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by wyndcrosser View Post
    If you know the traces, just wire them to the socket. Hot glue the wires so they are strong and don't get pulled or something.
    If i had a socket that would have been perfect. Unfortunately i didn't get one with the chip but i did manage to follow all of your instructions and i did it! i finally got the it working. Thank you all, you guys really know your shit, now i gotta fix my other that doesn't get any power

  15. #15

    Neo Alec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    7,812
    I broke connections on my NESrgb adapter too. No idea how.

    If I need something desoldered neatly I let my wife do it. I don't have the patience. She had been watching me and learned how to do it better than me.

  16. #16
    Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003
    dcx516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Beach NY

    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    I broke connections on my NESrgb adapter too. No idea how.

    If I need something desoldered neatly I let my wife do it. I don't have the patience. She had been watching me and learned how to do it better than me.
    I figured it wouldnt be that bad. I used a solder sucker but i guess i heated up the point too much.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •